Sign in with
Your question

Need a new power supply - is 350W enough?

Last response: in Components
June 15, 2004 12:31:20 AM

The power supply on my computer failed recently, so I am in need of a new one so that I can use the computer again.

The computer only had a 250W power supply on it, however, I was thinking about the possiblity of some computer upgrades in the near future. Thus, I would like to get a power supply that will work in the new system.

One thing that I am not sure of is how much power I need. I realize that I can get 500W power supplies to be on the safe side, however I am also concerned about noise. Silentpcreview.com has a number of recommended power supplies. The 350W models seem like they may be within an acceptable price range. The site also notes that most computers do not even use over 150W. In addition, a number of the so called 500W power supplies are said to be overrated and inefficient. In addition, a number of places mention that you do not really need 400+ W power supplies, yet I see many people who have them.

So, here's some exaggered specs for the system (this is the max of what seems possible; I may never have all the items listed). Based on the information, what would give me a stable system even at full load (3d rendering, compiling, or 3D gaming)? ...and what wattage would I need so it would also not strain the Power supply too much?

CPU: P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz
Mobo: undecided
RAM: 1GB PC3200 (two 512 chips)
Video: Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB or AIW version
PCI Sound Blaster Audigy (1 or 2)
PCI Network card
HD1: 1 SATA or IDE (Samsung P80 Series)
HD2: 1 SATA or IDE
CD-RW
DVD
may add another CD, DVD-RW, or similar drive
PS/2 Keyboard
USB Mouse
Wacom Tablet (USB probably)
USB, Firewire, card reader or some other camera connection
1 case fan
-& perhaps replace the Video Card fan with a Zalman.

not sure if this matters:
Speaker: 4.1 speaker system
Monitor: CRT 19" Trinitron
Printer
Scanner

--------------------------
Based on these specs, would a 350W power supply work for me? I am considering a Fortron 350W (FSP350-60PN). I was also considering one of the Seasonic models, but they are quite a bit more expensive (unless 300W would be enough).

Note, someone on the anandtech forums with a similar system to the one I just described mentioned that the had a 300W Fortron and experienced no problems under heavy load. However, I would like the input of more than just one source considering how many people I see who use 400+ W.

BTW, How's the Fortron PSUs in terms of quality?

More about : power supply 350w

June 15, 2004 3:38:39 AM

Yes, that power supply will work, but I'd rather suggest the 400W version. If you can't afford the 400W version, the FSP350-60PN will do.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 15, 2004 9:36:10 PM

Go with what Crashman said on the Fortron 400 Watt Psu. Fortron top notch.
Related resources
June 16, 2004 9:02:53 PM

I wanted to let you all know that I ordered an Enermax Noistaker 370W (EG375P-VE SFMA).

Thank you all for your help.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KevinAr18 on 06/16/04 05:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 17, 2004 3:29:11 AM

He asked about Fortron. Then buys Enermax.
June 17, 2004 5:02:53 AM

No skin off my nose, Fortron Source doesn't pay me anything.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 17, 2004 12:12:28 PM

You sure about that? You should ask them for commission.

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>
!