everything opens with notepad

April 20, 2005 5:33:10 AM

made a mistake with "open with" under properties
now everything opens with notepad can't correct it
please help

More about : opens notepad

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:01:03 AM

try shift + right click on each file and go to "open with". Im not sure if
the shift part is still needed or available under XP. there is also another
window somewhere in i think options menu of a folder that has file types and
what opens them.

"kjpslick" wrote:

> made a mistake with "open with" under properties
> now everything opens with notepad can't correct it
> please help

April 20, 2005 10:08:18 AM

In news:3EB39406-16A1-47B9-8B2B-2630E824A6F6@microsoft.com,
Chops II <ChopsII@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> try shift + right click on each file and go to "open with". Im not
> sure if the shift part is still needed or available under XP. there
> is also another window somewhere in i think options menu of a folder
> that has file types and what opens them.
>
> "kjpslick" wrote:
>
>> made a mistake with "open with" under properties
>> now everything opens with notepad can't correct it
>> please help

That'd be correct. Open MY COMPUTER, click on tools, options, file type...
Make the changes there though that MIGHT be a setting that will be recovered
with a system restore. Restore to a day or so ago (or before you made this
error) and see if that helps?

Galen