Local Area Connection Icon in System Tray

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Windows XP
April 20, 2005 1:17:06 PM

It would be very helpful if there was some documentation in Technical Support
on how to permanently set the display of this icon. From my reading of the
discussion group I find that there are a lot of us Windows XP(SP2) Home users
that are NOT on a network and we would like to permanently hide this icon. It
is an annoying presence because it is soooo similar to the regular internet
connection icon and it is easy to right click on it when disconnecting from
the internet! This has happened to me once, and my husband once, and it looks
like it has happened to a number of other users.
Choosing to uncheck the "Show icon in system tray" doesn't work. The icon
comes back after each reboot and has to be 'hidden' manually each time.
No one in the discussion groups appears to have solved the problem. Some of
the suggestions result in no internet connection at all.
Please help us!

More about : local area connection icon system tray

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:50:30 PM

The icon was bothering me as well.
I went into Control Panel - Network Connections and right-clicked on "LAN or
High-Speed Internet" and selected Disable. No more icon.
If you are on dialup as I am, this will work for you. Otherwise, the
solution may be a bit more complicated.

"intrepid007user" <intrepid007user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:869C8019-A930-4246-B932-D90A17EAC675@microsoft.com...
> It would be very helpful if there was some documentation in Technical
Support
> on how to permanently set the display of this icon. From my reading of the
> discussion group I find that there are a lot of us Windows XP(SP2) Home
users
> that are NOT on a network and we would like to permanently hide this icon.
It
> is an annoying presence because it is soooo similar to the regular
internet
> connection icon and it is easy to right click on it when disconnecting
from
> the internet! This has happened to me once, and my husband once, and it
looks
> like it has happened to a number of other users.
> Choosing to uncheck the "Show icon in system tray" doesn't work. The icon
> comes back after each reboot and has to be 'hidden' manually each time.
> No one in the discussion groups appears to have solved the problem. Some
of
> the suggestions result in no internet connection at all.
> Please help us!
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 11:17:05 AM

I not very clear on how the connections work . . . I think it is dial-up but
it IS DSL.
.. . . Now this is very strange . . . after weeks of manually hiding the icon
after each reboot, when I booted up this morning the icon was actually
hidden! Go figure!
If the icon comes back to haunt me I will try your suggestion, but all
previous attempts to 'disable' the connection has resulted in NO connection
at all, since I am not networked (unless something in my computer is
configured as network) this puzzles me. Which is why I really feel Microsoft
should have a Tech Document conserning this issue.
Again Thanks for your response.
Lisa

"T. Waters" wrote:

> The icon was bothering me as well.
> I went into Control Panel - Network Connections and right-clicked on "LAN or
> High-Speed Internet" and selected Disable. No more icon.
> If you are on dialup as I am, this will work for you. Otherwise, the
> solution may be a bit more complicated.
>
> "intrepid007user" <intrepid007user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:869C8019-A930-4246-B932-D90A17EAC675@microsoft.com...
> > It would be very helpful if there was some documentation in Technical
> Support
> > on how to permanently set the display of this icon. From my reading of the
> > discussion group I find that there are a lot of us Windows XP(SP2) Home
> users
> > that are NOT on a network and we would like to permanently hide this icon.
> It
> > is an annoying presence because it is soooo similar to the regular
> internet
> > connection icon and it is easy to right click on it when disconnecting
> from
> > the internet! This has happened to me once, and my husband once, and it
> looks
> > like it has happened to a number of other users.
> > Choosing to uncheck the "Show icon in system tray" doesn't work. The icon
> > comes back after each reboot and has to be 'hidden' manually each time.
> > No one in the discussion groups appears to have solved the problem. Some
> of
> > the suggestions result in no internet connection at all.
> > Please help us!

April 21, 2005 12:59:05 PM

Lisa, if you have DSL, then you are not on dialup.
My method would not work for you and would disable your internet instead.
So glad your icon is behaving.

"intrepid007user" <intrepid007user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:6061DBCA-931A-4F5C-8A14-9D594A20CC93@microsoft.com...
> I not very clear on how the connections work . . . I think it is dial-up
but
> it IS DSL.
> . . . Now this is very strange . . . after weeks of manually hiding the
icon
> after each reboot, when I booted up this morning the icon was actually
> hidden! Go figure!
> If the icon comes back to haunt me I will try your suggestion, but all
> previous attempts to 'disable' the connection has resulted in NO
connection
> at all, since I am not networked (unless something in my computer is
> configured as network) this puzzles me. Which is why I really feel
Microsoft
> should have a Tech Document conserning this issue.
> Again Thanks for your response.
> Lisa
>
> "T. Waters" wrote:
>
> > The icon was bothering me as well.
> > I went into Control Panel - Network Connections and right-clicked on
"LAN or
> > High-Speed Internet" and selected Disable. No more icon.
> > If you are on dialup as I am, this will work for you. Otherwise, the
> > solution may be a bit more complicated.
> >
> > "intrepid007user" <intrepid007user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:869C8019-A930-4246-B932-D90A17EAC675@microsoft.com...
> > > It would be very helpful if there was some documentation in Technical
> > Support
> > > on how to permanently set the display of this icon. From my reading of
the
> > > discussion group I find that there are a lot of us Windows XP(SP2)
> > users
> > > that are NOT on a network and we would like to permanently hide this
icon.
> > It
> > > is an annoying presence because it is soooo similar to the regular
> > internet
> > > connection icon and it is easy to right click on it when disconnecting
> > from
> > > the internet! This has happened to me once, and my husband once, and
it
> > looks
> > > like it has happened to a number of other users.
> > > Choosing to uncheck the "Show icon in system tray" doesn't work. The
icon
> > > comes back after each reboot and has to be 'hidden' manually each
time.
> > > No one in the discussion groups appears to have solved the problem.
Some
> > of
> > > the suggestions result in no internet connection at all.
> > > Please help us!

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:29:02 PM

Glad to get that (DSL vs Dialup) cleared up! I guess I will resign myself to
manually hiding the (beep) icon on a daily basis or every time I reboot. It
came back! Drat!

Lisa N

ps I will keep watching this discussion just in case someone finds a fix
that works!

!