Unable to access Control Panel Items

Hope someone can offer some assistance, I cannot access Add/Remove Programs,
Security Centre, and Display from the Control panel
I click on Display and the properties panel appears for a split second and
dissappears, similarly for security center and add/remove programs
The only way I can access these items is to start in Safe Mode
I am running XP Home edition sp2 with .Net Framework sp1

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:eExZ1XhRFHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
John Webster <jwebs3@internode.on.net> had this to say:

> Hope someone can offer some assistance, I cannot access Add/Remove
> Programs, Security Centre, and Display from the Control panel
> I click on Display and the properties panel appears for a split
> second and dissappears, similarly for security center and add/remove
> programs The only way I can access these items is to start in Safe Mode
> I am running XP Home edition sp2 with .Net Framework sp1

That USUALLY implies malware... Try this:

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
http://swatit.org/ Swat It

Before cleaning download this:

LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
and you can't connect to the internet.

From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
be enabled to update and scan automatically.

Galen

As Galen said. Additionally, you may consider using the Sysclean Package
from Trend Micro (http://www.trendmicro.com). Trend Micro's Sysclean package
(free) is capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full instructions
at:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

Trend Micro Sysclean package
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP