Unable to access Control Panel Items

Hope someone can offer some assistance, I cannot access Add/Remove Programs,
Security Centre, and Display from the Control panel
I click on Display and the properties panel appears for a split second and
dissappears, similarly for security center and add/remove programs
The only way I can access these items is to start in Safe Mode
I am running XP Home edition sp2 with .Net Framework sp1
2 answers Last reply
More about unable access control panel items

    In news:eExZ1XhRFHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    John Webster <jwebs3@internode.on.net> had this to say:

    > Hope someone can offer some assistance, I cannot access Add/Remove
    > Programs, Security Centre, and Display from the Control panel
    > I click on Display and the properties panel appears for a split
    > second and dissappears, similarly for security center and add/remove
    > programs The only way I can access these items is to start in Safe Mode
    > I am running XP Home edition sp2 with .Net Framework sp1

    That USUALLY implies malware... Try this:

    Virus:
    www.grisoft.com - AVG
    www.antivir.com - AntiVir
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

    Spyware:
    www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
    http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

    Trojan:
    www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
    http://swatit.org/ Swat It

    Before cleaning download this:

    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
    and you can't connect to the internet.

    From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
    download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
    category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
    definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
    select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
    regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
    but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
    problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
    be enabled to update and scan automatically.

    Galen

    As Galen said. Additionally, you may consider using the Sysclean Package
    from Trend Micro (http://www.trendmicro.com). Trend Micro's Sysclean package
    (free) is capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full instructions
    at:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    Trend Micro Sysclean package
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "John Webster" <jwebs3@internode.on.net> wrote in message
    > Hope someone can offer some assistance, I cannot access Add/Remove
    > Programs, Security Centre, and Display from the Control panel
    > I click on Display and the properties panel appears for a split second and
    > dissappears, similarly for security center and add/remove programs
    > The only way I can access these items is to start in Safe Mode
    > I am running XP Home edition sp2 with .Net Framework sp1

Control Panel Security Windows XP Displays