Device Manager "the selected file cannot be found"

mflore

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2002

Hi,

When intalling iMesh Light I had some serious problems. First, hal.dll
dissapeared, which I fixed. Now, I can't open device manager at all. I get
the error in the title and nothing more. I tried this fix:

D/load and run the fix provided by Kelly Theriot:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 107,
right-hand column -->Restore the Device Manager)

but it didn't work. I need help!

mflore

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2002

I did a windows repair to fix my original problem and it worked! Then, I had
to update my computer (ugh), so I installed critical updates from windows
updates including sp2 (which I had before the windows repair).

My mouse has now stopped working (it worked pre sp2 and post repair).

I can now go to device manager but there is no "mice and pointing devices".
I tried to add new hardware but windows did not find anything. I went into
BIOS and enabled USB Legacy support for mice. My keyboard is PS/2 and it
works fine. I'm using a Microsoft trackball optical via USB.

I was able to install intellipoint 5.2 software but under the hardware tab
there is nothing listed.

During startup, my trackball lights up (some sort of power on test). It
stays lit until just before windows is fully loaded.

Please help, I can't use my mouse!

"mflore" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When intalling iMesh Light I had some serious problems. First, hal.dll
> dissapeared, which I fixed. Now, I can't open device manager at all. I get
> the error in the title and nothing more. I tried this fix:
>
> D/load and run the fix provided by Kelly Theriot:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 107,
> right-hand column -->Restore the Device Manager)
>
> but it didn't work. I need help!

Hi,

What happens when you type this in Start/Run:

mmc.exe %Systemroot%\system32\devmgmt.msc

Pls post the exact error message as you see in the display.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"mflore" <mflore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> When intalling iMesh Light I had some serious problems. First, hal.dll
> dissapeared, which I fixed. Now, I can't open device manager at all. I get
> the error in the title and nothing more. I tried this fix:
>
> D/load and run the fix provided by Kelly Theriot:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 107,
> right-hand column -->Restore the Device Manager)
>
> but it didn't work. I need help!

TRENDING THREADS