MicroATX cube case

ironhell

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
I am looking at buildihg a mini compute (one of those cubed ones) but am having a hard time finding a case. Any recommendations? Thanks.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-146&depa=0" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-146&depa=0</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Recommendations? Cubes suck, too wide, I recommend a thin tower. Unless it's for HTPC, then cubes still suck, too tall, I'd recommend a thin desktop.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
agreed, cubes are uhm...cubes. its a wierd shape to be having around the den or office or what have you. unless you're one of those progressive folks, in wich case you should be ashamed of yourself. hehe

I've got a book of matches,
I've got a can of kerosene,
I've got some bright ideas involving you and me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They're designed to look great sitting on a desk by themselves. Unfortunately that design doesn't integrate well with anything else! And some have handles on the top so you can carry them to LAN parties...banging against your leg because they're so wide!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ironhell

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
Well, that's what one of my friends is looking for... his sister is going to be living in a dorm and wants to save as much space as possible w/o going the Mac route...

Why do you say Cubes suck? They do pretty well on desks and don't take much space. She's not going to be playing any hardcore v.games on it. I am just miffed that I don't see many cases for sale so I/my friend can build one instead of shelling out $$$ for a stock one. Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A thin tower takes up less space on a desk because it's narrower. In fact, a cube is typically a hair wider than a midtower. Standard cubes aren't Micro ATX, they're Flex ATX, and have only 2 slots instead of 4. If she really needs a tiny system and doesn't plan on doing any upgrades (other than perhaps larger RAM modules or a larger hard drive), you might consider a super space-efficient booksize PC. And I'd go used on that type of system.

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
and because they're flex atx, the only way to build one is to get a barebones that comes with the case and mobo installed.

and they dont save any space whatsoever b/c they're such a wierd shape, when trying to save space go vertical, no necisarily smaller.

unless you go notebook small like crashman said...man he's full of good ideas

I've got a book of matches,
I've got a can of kerosene,
I've got some bright ideas involving you and me.