Task Manager Running at 100%

I am having a major problem.

I am running XP pro SP2.

The machine starts slow, once all the programs load, the "system" process
runs at 100% on task manager, I have tried to do restore, it will not open
due to system process running at 100%.

Does anyone have a suggestion to get system back to normal?

Thanx

Dave

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1B912C3E-C28C-44F7-BE7F-8D46CCC80073@microsoft.com,
DJN <DJN@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am having a major problem.
>
> I am running XP pro SP2.
>
> The machine starts slow, once all the programs load, the "system"
> process runs at 100% on task manager, I have tried to do restore, it
> will not open due to system process running at 100%.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion to get system back to normal?
>
> Thanx
>
> Dave

Try your restore in safe mode? Check for malware troubles? The below is a
bunch of gibberish that if you're willing to read to the end (it's not that
long) which will help with the malware parts but you can probably restore in
safe mode or at least use it to get some fixing done.

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
http://swatit.org/ Swat It

Before cleaning download this:

LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
and you can't connect to the internet.

From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
be enabled to update and scan automatically.

Galen

Hi Red,

Download and run Process Explorer. Look for the
process that's taking up all the CPU time.

Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

DJN wrote:
> I am having a major problem.
>
> I am running XP pro SP2.
>
> The machine starts slow, once all the programs load, the
> "system" process runs at 100% on task manager, I have
> tried to do restore, it will not open due to system
> process running at 100%.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion to get system back to
> normal?
>
> Thanx
>
> Dave

Felicia

Do you use antivirus software from Trend Micro?
They have accidentally sent out an update that has caused major problems
similar to yours.

"DJN" <DJN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having a major problem.
>
> I am running XP pro SP2.
>
> The machine starts slow, once all the programs load, the "system" process
> runs at 100% on task manager, I have tried to do restore, it will not open
> due to system process running at 100%.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion to get system back to normal?
>
> Thanx
>
> Dave

peter

McAfee did too...the latest patch fixed it.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada