Task Manager Running at 100%

I am having a major problem.

I am running XP pro SP2.

The machine starts slow, once all the programs load, the "system" process
runs at 100% on task manager, I have tried to do restore, it will not open
due to system process running at 100%.

Does anyone have a suggestion to get system back to normal?

Thanx

Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about task manager running

    In news:1B912C3E-C28C-44F7-BE7F-8D46CCC80073@microsoft.com,
    DJN <DJN@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I am having a major problem.
    >
    > I am running XP pro SP2.
    >
    > The machine starts slow, once all the programs load, the "system"
    > process runs at 100% on task manager, I have tried to do restore, it
    > will not open due to system process running at 100%.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion to get system back to normal?
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > Dave

    Try your restore in safe mode? Check for malware troubles? The below is a
    bunch of gibberish that if you're willing to read to the end (it's not that
    long) which will help with the malware parts but you can probably restore in
    safe mode or at least use it to get some fixing done.

    Virus:
    www.grisoft.com - AVG
    www.antivir.com - AntiVir
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

    Spyware:
    www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
    http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

    Trojan:
    www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
    http://swatit.org/ Swat It

    Before cleaning download this:

    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
    and you can't connect to the internet.

    From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
    download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
    category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
    definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
    select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
    regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
    but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
    problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
    be enabled to update and scan automatically.

    Galen

    Hi Red,

    Download and run Process Explorer. Look for the
    process that's taking up all the CPU time.

    Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    DJN wrote:
    > I am having a major problem.
    >
    > I am running XP pro SP2.
    >
    > The machine starts slow, once all the programs load, the
    > "system" process runs at 100% on task manager, I have
    > tried to do restore, it will not open due to system
    > process running at 100%.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion to get system back to
    > normal?
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > Dave

    Do you use antivirus software from Trend Micro?
    They have accidentally sent out an update that has caused major problems
    similar to yours.

    "DJN" <DJN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am having a major problem.
    >
    > I am running XP pro SP2.
    >
    > The machine starts slow, once all the programs load, the "system" process
    > runs at 100% on task manager, I have tried to do restore, it will not open
    > due to system process running at 100%.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion to get system back to normal?
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > Dave

    McAfee did too...the latest patch fixed it.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "felicia" <ksdjjdg@ljlkgs.net> wrote in message
    > Do you use antivirus software from Trend Micro?
    > They have accidentally sent out an update that has caused major problems
    > similar to yours.
    >
    > "DJN" <DJN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I am having a major problem.
    >>
    >> I am running XP pro SP2.
    >>
    >> The machine starts slow, once all the programs load, the "system" process
    >> runs at 100% on task manager, I have tried to do restore, it will not
    >> open
    >> due to system process running at 100%.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a suggestion to get system back to normal?
    >>
    >> Thanx
    >>
    >> Dave

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP