Games freeze for a sec then continue

matrimforever

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi all,

This is frustrating! I'll be playing different games, but mostly in CounterSTrike: Source, when I'll
get a random freeze for a second, then it continues. I used to think it was a server lag spike but it occurs
on different servers and games. It has been going on for a while, so I can't trace back what I may have done
to cause it. It hasn't always been so. Graphic drivers are up to date; defragged the drive; uninstalled/reinstalled the games..
Perused the forums, and where people had similar problems, they either didn't get an answer or weren't quite the same experience as me. I'm thinking its sound drivers, but they are up to date too. Not sure what else it may be?

Specs:

Mainboard : Gigabyte M61P-S3
Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V
Processor : AMD Athlon II X2 255 @ 3100MHz
Physical Memory : 4096MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD50 00AACS-00G8B SCSI Disk Device (500GB)
Hard Disk : Maxtor OneTouch (500GB)
Hard Disk : Maxtor OneTouch III (320GB)
Network Card : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00

The WD hdd is partitioned into 3, the games being on the 3rd partition.
Audio:

Device Audio : GigaByte Technology nForce 430 (MCP61) High Definition Audio
Audio Playback : Speakers (Realtek High Definiti
Audio Playback : Headset Earphone (2- Microsoft
Audio Playback : Realtek Digital Output (Realtek
Audio Recording : Headset Microphone (2- Microsof
Audio Recording : Realtek Digital Input (Realtek

have you checked what your choke is in-game? (type in netgraph 2 in console) it's possible it's your own network devices that are causing this.

If not, what settings are you running the game on? Try setting compatibility to winxp and also disable desktop themes. (if done right you will see your desktop change to windows basic skin from aero as you launch the game)

I recently replayed HL2, had some lagging that seemed like it was happening because of sound, but disabling the visual themes seemed to fix the problem.

Another thing I've heard is limiting the game to one core might improve performance, but i've ran the game with dual core previously and it was just fine.

matrimforever

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I ran the hard disk checker...nothing to report

Hi,
choke can spike to the 20's and is all over the place actually. Can't seem to get teh avg. It is net_graph 3 btw ;). i do have an older hub and dsl modem. You really think with my spec's changing compat. to winxp would help? I'll try disabling themes. As far as the core's go, are you talking about affinity?

yes, limiting core affinity to 1 core has been mentioned to help some people. (didn't help much in my case)

20s is relatively low still I believe. If you want to make sure it's not the old router causing the spike, hook up directly to modem and test.

I have a far better specced machine that yours and using the compatibility settings helped quite a lot.

You still didn't tell us what settings you're running the game on.

Hi :)

I think you misunderstood me....when I said run a hard drive check, I did NOT mean with any windows program like scandisk..

I meant run a hard drive checking program (usually after booting to a cd with it on ) like ONTRACK or HIRENS...IN DOS !!!!!

You will need to run it on all 3 of your drives but your boot drive (C Drive) first and it will take around 2 hours per drive for your size drives....

All the best Brett :)

matrimforever

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Running Counterstrike on high. Max res is 1680 x 1050 (native)
Battlefield 3 on medium to low.
Half Life 2 and episodes are on high.

pietje pietje

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
*Solution*

i also lagged in game, this was very strange because i have a prrtty good reg.

the last game where i experienced this was in bioshock infinite. they had this solution
Microstuttering • Link

Fix Adaptive and dynamic V-Sync • Link

These forms of V-Sync significantly reduce micro-stuttering[12][13].

For Nvidia cards, Adaptive V-Sync can be enabled through the driver control panel. Set Vertical sync to Adaptive.

For AMD cards, Dynamic V-Sync can be enabled using the third-party program RadeonPro. Click the Add new profile icon
and find the Far Cry 3 executable (farcry3_d3d11.exe or farcry3.exe). Click the newly created profile and click the
Tweaks tab. Set VSync Control to Always on. Enable Dynamic Framerate Control and set Keep up to to 60.

hope this help for people who still searching for this one:)