Sign in with
Your question

Can High FPS Harm GPU?

Last response: in Video Games
January 9, 2012 6:20:10 PM

While a friend was playing the Sims 3 on my pc the other day I noticed that my gpu (560 ti) was making was can best be described as a whining sound. I ran fraps when the game was running and saw the fps got as high as 3000fps. I did a little research and it seems the sims 3 has no fps limit so it will pump out as many frames as the gpu can. My Gpu temp was in the 75c range so I don't think its overheating but the whining sound still concerns me. Is it safe to run the game? Thanks

More about : high fps harm gpu

January 9, 2012 6:43:12 PM

it's safe to run the game at high fps, your concern is though that your GPU is running full blast all the time (at 100%) So the concerns then become: temperature, dust buildup (if air cooled) and fan motor wear. As you mentioned, your temperature isn't terribly high, so that's ok, but the sound could be indicative of increased strain on the fan motor. Open your computer up and check for dust.

Does the game have the option for V-sync?

if not try going through your nvidia control panel and see if you can set some 3d settings through there.
m
l
January 9, 2012 7:29:54 PM

Hi :) 

A gpu CANNOT be harmed by running high frame rates..... end of...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2012 3:16:10 AM

It basically turns the game into furmark and can overheat your cards if you don't have good cooling. +1 to Vsync.
m
l
January 10, 2012 3:28:15 AM

I would look into options for putting your GPU in a underclock power saving mode. Depending on which gtx 570 and what motherboard you have you can do that I think. I'm not sure because I don't have my gtx 570 yet, but I think I read that some where.
m
l
January 10, 2012 12:19:55 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I forced vsync on through the control panel and that seems to have fixed the issue.
m
l
January 10, 2012 12:33:06 PM

Depending on which gtx 570 and what motherboard you have you can do that I think.
m
l
!