Montimon

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2005
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of you bright people out there can help me with a little problem. The problem is that when I go to "my computer" and try to right click any of my drives (CD-ROM, Floppy, HD's) it stops responding. In essence, I can't access the properties for any of my drives, even when I try the window's menus on the top, "my computer" still hangs. The only way to get out of it is using Task Manager.

Does anyone know how I can fix this nuisance? I would very much appreciate you guy's input.

Thanks...

riser

Illustrious
There's a 90 second time out. Chances are your CD-ROM has a CD in it and it's dying, or there is a drive mapping that is no longer there and it has to time out before it shows everything up.

Take out the CD if you have on, then try it.

Montimon

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2005
Hi riser,

Thanks for the response. I have tried this with many diferent CD's and it still doesn't work. This problem is the same for hard drives and the Floppy, which I can't even format.

Any more advice would be appreciated, thanks.

riser

Illustrious
How many hard drives are in your computer?

Assuming you have an up-to-date computer within the last couple years.. you are using an 80 pin IDE cable to connect your Hard drives, or SATA?

10GB drives (in Western Digital) moved from 40 pin to 80 pin. If you have an 8gb hard drive in there, it'll run slower and may cause a problem.. but I doubt that.

Clear out any network connections you might have.. you can use the "net use" statement in DOS to see what active/establishing connections you have.. which could cause the problem.

Also, Internet Explorer had something to do with My Computer hanging, which was fixed after SP2.

Have you updated everything? Have you disconnected your floppy and CD-ROM and just tried your harddrive(s) to see if the problem occurs?

How are they physically connected to the motherboard? Normally, hard drive is on IDE1, CD-rom/etc is on IDE2. If you have them together, you might want to check your master/slave/cable select jumpers.

Montimon

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2005
I have two ATA-100 Hard drives on the primary IDE channel, a 40 GB (master) and a 120 GB (slave). I just recently added the 120 GB drive, but the same problem was there before I did. I also have a CDRW/DVDRW drive (master) by itself on the secondary IDE channel. I have an Intel D865PERL motherboard, Celeron 2.4 GB Proc., and 2 GB PC2700 RAM.

I have my Win XP updated to SP2 and all current updates that have been coming in from Microsoft recently. However, I will try your suggestion on using the "net use" DOS command. I will also try to remove each drive individually and reboot after each time to see if I can isolate the actual source of my headache, as you also recommended.

Thanks again for your help riser. I will keep you posted on whether or not your suggestions fixed my problem.