My cpu is running at 100% at a standstill in windows

red

Hy cpu has been running at 100% lateley, even with hardly any programs
running in XP, I've got a 1.8Mhz processor and a gig of ram, so I shouldnt be
running my cpu at 100% just chillin in windows. Any ideas?

Red

Hi Red,

Download and install Process Explorer. Run it and take a look for the
process that's taking up all the CPU time.

Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Red wrote:
> Hy cpu has been running at 100% lateley, even with hardly
> any programs running in XP, I've got a 1.8Mhz processor
> and a gig of ram, so I shouldnt be running my cpu at 100%
> just chillin in windows. Any ideas?
>
> Red

red

Hi Bert, thanks for your reply. I installed Process Explorer and I find that
the biggest cpu drainer is ntuser.exe. Now as I understand from my knowledge
that this program is used normally for windows, but I've never seen it drain
such cpu power. Now I use Titinaium Antivirus which is a wicked program and
usually gets any virus that might try to attatch itself to my computer, and I
also use spybot for any adware and spyware. So my computer to my knowledge is
clean. Any other advice?

Red

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Red,
>
> Download and install Process Explorer. Run it and take a look for the
> process that's taking up all the CPU time.
>
> Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Red wrote:
> > Hy cpu has been running at 100% lateley, even with hardly
> > any programs running in XP, I've got a 1.8Mhz processor
> > and a gig of ram, so I shouldnt be running my cpu at 100%
> > just chillin in windows. Any ideas?
> >
> > Red

red

Thanks for your swift reply Bert. I downloaded Process Explorer and it is
showing me that ntuser.exe is taking 60-80% of my processor, which seems
abnormal and extreme. I use Titanium Antivirus and Spybot to cleanse my
computer. I have also done disk defrag and diskcleanup. No change. Any other
advice?

Red

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Red,
>
> Download and install Process Explorer. Run it and take a look for the
> process that's taking up all the CPU time.
>
> Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Red wrote:
> > Hy cpu has been running at 100% lateley, even with hardly
> > any programs running in XP, I've got a 1.8Mhz processor
> > and a gig of ram, so I shouldnt be running my cpu at 100%
> > just chillin in windows. Any ideas?
> >
> > Red

Felicia

Do you use antivirus software from Trend Micro?
They have accidentally sent out an update that has caused major problems
similar to yours.

"Red" <Red@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hy cpu has been running at 100% lateley, even with hardly any programs
> running in XP, I've got a 1.8Mhz processor and a gig of ram, so I shouldnt
be
> running my cpu at 100% just chillin in windows. Any ideas?
>
> Red

Hi Red,

This is not a Windows file. Does this look familiar?
NTUser Readme
http://www.imagination.net.nz/software/ntuser.asp

--

Red wrote:
> Thanks for your swift reply Bert. I downloaded Process
> Explorer and it is showing me that ntuser.exe is taking
> 60-80% of my processor, which seems abnormal and extreme.
> I use Titanium Antivirus and Spybot to cleanse my
> computer. I have also done disk defrag and diskcleanup.
> No change. Any other advice?
>
> Red
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Red,
>>
>> Download and install Process Explorer. Run it and take a
>> look for the process that's taking up all the CPU time.
>>
>> Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
>> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Red wrote:
>>> Hy cpu has been running at 100% lateley, even with
>>> hardly any programs running in XP, I've got a 1.8Mhz
>>> processor and a gig of ram, so I shouldnt be running my
>>> cpu at 100% just chillin in windows. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Red

red

Hi felicia, I'm using Panda Titanium antivirus with full updates, and I have
no knowledge of any updates that causes major problems :(

REd

"felicia" wrote:

> Do you use antivirus software from Trend Micro?
> They have accidentally sent out an update that has caused major problems
> similar to yours.
>
> "Red" <Red@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hy cpu has been running at 100% lateley, even with hardly any programs
> > running in XP, I've got a 1.8Mhz processor and a gig of ram, so I shouldnt
> be
> > running my cpu at 100% just chillin in windows. Any ideas?
> >
> > Red

red

Hi Bert, well I got rid of the ntuser.exe, but as soon as I did that another
program seemed to pick up the slack and now servies.exe is using 70-80 of my
cpu, grr. Any other ideas?

Red

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Red,
>
> This is not a Windows file. Does this look familiar?
> NTUser Readme
> http://www.imagination.net.nz/software/ntuser.asp
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Red wrote:
> > Thanks for your swift reply Bert. I downloaded Process
> > Explorer and it is showing me that ntuser.exe is taking
> > 60-80% of my processor, which seems abnormal and extreme.
> > I use Titanium Antivirus and Spybot to cleanse my
> > computer. I have also done disk defrag and diskcleanup.
> > No change. Any other advice?
> >
> > Red
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Red,
> >>
> >> Download and install Process Explorer. Run it and take a
> >> look for the process that's taking up all the CPU time.
> >>
> >> Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
> >> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://dts-l.org/

peter

McAfee AV did the same...new update fixes it.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"felicia" <ksdjjdg@ljlkgs.net> wrote in message
> Do you use antivirus software from Trend Micro?
> They have accidentally sent out an update that has caused major problems
> similar to yours.
>
> "Red" <Red@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hy cpu has been running at 100% lateley, even with hardly any programs
>> running in XP, I've got a 1.8Mhz processor and a gig of ram, so I
>> shouldnt
> be
>> running my cpu at 100% just chillin in windows. Any ideas?
>>
>> Red

red

Hi peter, I'm using panda titanium antivirus with full updates, no change. :(

Red

"Peter" wrote:

> McAfee AV did the same...new update fixes it.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
> "felicia" <ksdjjdg@ljlkgs.net> wrote in message
> > Do you use antivirus software from Trend Micro?
> > They have accidentally sent out an update that has caused major problems
> > similar to yours.
> >
> > "Red" <Red@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hy cpu has been running at 100% lateley, even with hardly any programs
> >> running in XP, I've got a 1.8Mhz processor and a gig of ram, so I
> >> shouldnt
> > be
> >> running my cpu at 100% just chillin in windows. Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Red

peter

It was just a thought. Good luck.

--
> Hi peter, I'm using panda titanium antivirus with full updates, no change.
> :(
>
> Red
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> McAfee AV did the same...new update fixes it.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
>> "felicia" <ksdjjdg@ljlkgs.net> wrote in message
>> > Do you use antivirus software from Trend Micro?
>> > They have accidentally sent out an update that has caused major
>> > problems
>> > similar to yours.
>> >
>> > "Red" <Red@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > be

Hi Red,

Open Msconfig and on the Startup tab look for servies.exe and the
location it is starting from.
Also do a search for the same file, right click on it and look at
it's properties. This may indicate which program it is associated
with.

--

Red wrote:
> Hi Bert, well I got rid of the ntuser.exe, but as soon as
> I did that another program seemed to pick up the slack
> and now servies.exe is using 70-80 of my cpu, grr. Any
> other ideas?
>
> Red
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Red,
>>
>> This is not a Windows file. Does this look familiar?
>> NTUser Readme
>> http://www.imagination.net.nz/software/ntuser.asp
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Red wrote:
>>> Thanks for your swift reply Bert. I downloaded Process
>>> Explorer and it is showing me that ntuser.exe is taking
>>> 60-80% of my processor, which seems abnormal and
>>> extreme. I use Titanium Antivirus and Spybot to cleanse
>>> my computer. I have also done disk defrag and
>>> diskcleanup. No change. Any other advice?
>>>
>>> Red

trend and xp sp2 not compatable. this fixed it for me: safe mode - my
computer - open C: - program files - Trend Micro - Internet Security - Delete
LPT$VPN.593 and or LPT$VPN.594 (right click Delete) Restart - open penicillan
- get latest update
ittap

"Red" wrote:

> Hy cpu has been running at 100% lateley, even with hardly any programs
> running in XP, I've got a 1.8Mhz processor and a gig of ram, so I shouldnt be
> running my cpu at 100% just chillin in windows. Any ideas?
>
> Red

If it's not a virus, it's spyware. Most normal programs don't come back, and
those are cleverly named to look almost like they belong there. Happy
hunting.