How do I repair IE6 without a cd?

No cd came with my computer (an HP) and I have read the repair article from
microsoft, but it only tells how to change the value data in the register and
doesn't say anything about where to download the new version or what to do if
you don't have the cd. I've restored my computer several times, but the
problems with IE keep happening. At this point, the main problem is that it
needs to be repaired, according to Symantec with whom I had this particular
problem. Can it be done without a cd?

One cannot repair or reinstall Internet Explorer without
the Windows XP CD.

How do I repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm

[Courtesy of Doug Knox, MS-MVP]

Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
recovery operation.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll have
to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat the
drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP is
reinstalled.

Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Carolinian" wrote:

| No cd came with my computer (an HP) and I have read the repair article from
| microsoft, but it only tells how to change the value data in the register and
| doesn't say anything about where to download the new version or what to do if
| you don't have the cd. I've restored my computer several times, but the
| problems with IE keep happening. At this point, the main problem is that it
| needs to be repaired, according to Symantec with whom I had this particular
| problem. Can it be done without a cd?

Thanks Carey. I've downloaded the script from the doug knox website, but I
need to know if I still need to change the value in the registry before
executing it.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> One cannot repair or reinstall Internet Explorer without
> the Windows XP CD.
>
> How do I repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP?
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm
>
> [Courtesy of Doug Knox, MS-MVP]
>
> Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
> the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
> recovery operation.
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en
>
> If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll have
> to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat the
> drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP is
> reinstalled.
>
> Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Carolinian" wrote:
>
> | No cd came with my computer (an HP) and I have read the repair article from
> | microsoft, but it only tells how to change the value data in the register and
> | doesn't say anything about where to download the new version or what to do if
> | you don't have the cd. I've restored my computer several times, but the
> | problems with IE keep happening. At this point, the main problem is that it
> | needs to be repaired, according to Symantec with whom I had this particular
> | problem. Can it be done without a cd?

Hi Carolinian,

No, the script will do it for you. You will have to logged on with
administrator rights.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Carolinian wrote:
> Thanks Carey. I've downloaded the script from the doug
> knox website, but I need to know if I still need to
> change the value in the registry before executing it.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> One cannot repair or reinstall Internet Explorer without
>> the Windows XP CD.
>>
>> How do I repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP?
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm
>>
>> [Courtesy of Doug Knox, MS-MVP]
>>
>> Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
>> the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
>> recovery operation.
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en
>>
>> If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then
>> you'll have to resort to a "destructive recovery" which
>> will reformat the drive, thus wiping it clean of all
>> files before Windows XP is reinstalled.
>>
>> Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
>> Technologies:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Carolinian" wrote:
>>
>>> No cd came with my computer (an HP) and I have read the
>>> repair article from microsoft, but it only tells how to
>>> change the value data in the register and doesn't say
>>> anything about where to download the new version or
>>> what to do if you don't have the cd. I've restored my
>>> computer several times, but the problems with IE keep
>>> happening. At this point, the main problem is that it
>>> needs to be repaired, according to Symantec with whom I
>>> had this particular problem. Can it be done without a
>>> cd?

Ok, Bert. Will give it a try. However, logging on as an adminstrator is new
to me. Will it ask me if I want to save my old profile when I log in that
way? If not, how do I save the old profile and after using the admin
profile, should I (and how do I) go back to the original? Hate to be such a
pain, but it's great having pros like you all to help me out! Thanks!

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Carolinian,
>
> No, the script will do it for you. You will have to logged on with
> administrator rights.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Carolinian wrote:
> > Thanks Carey. I've downloaded the script from the doug
> > knox website, but I need to know if I still need to
> > change the value in the registry before executing it.
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> One cannot repair or reinstall Internet Explorer without
> >> the Windows XP CD.
> >>
> >> How do I repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP?
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm
> >>
> >> [Courtesy of Doug Knox, MS-MVP]
> >>
> >> Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
> >> the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
> >> recovery operation.
> >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en
> >>
> >> If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then
> >> you'll have to resort to a "destructive recovery" which
> >> will reformat the drive, thus wiping it clean of all
> >> files before Windows XP is reinstalled.
> >>
> >> Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
> >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
> >> Technologies:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
> >>
> >> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Go to Control Panel - User accounts and check to see if your account
has administrative privileges.
Are you the only user on this system? The account should not be
effected by this process.

--

Carolinian wrote:
> Ok, Bert. Will give it a try. However, logging on as an
> adminstrator is new to me. Will it ask me if I want to
> save my old profile when I log in that way? If not, how
> do I save the old profile and after using the admin
> profile, should I (and how do I) go back to the original?
> Hate to be such a pain, but it's great having pros like
> you all to help me out! Thanks!
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Carolinian,
>>
>> No, the script will do it for you. You will have to
>> logged on with administrator rights.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Carolinian wrote:
>>> Thanks Carey. I've downloaded the script from the doug
>>> knox website, but I need to know if I still need to
>>> change the value in the registry before executing it.

Yes, I'm the only user. Control Panel says I can change or create accts.
Will give it a try. Thank you. I have another problem, so if you don't mind,
can you tell me why this occurs? When I open two or three pages, various or
just 2 web pages, upon closing one, it leaves a big white blank space where
it sat over the other page. It takes a moment for the back page to become
fully viewable again. Sometimes, the closing page "peels down" instead of
instantly closing. Any idea what causes this?

Did you do the IE Repair yet?

--

Carolinian wrote:
> Yes, I'm the only user. Control Panel says I can change
> or create accts. Will give it a try. Thank you. I have
> another problem, so if you don't mind, can you tell me
> why this occurs? When I open two or three pages, various
> or just 2 web pages, upon closing one, it leaves a big
> white blank space where it sat over the other page. It
> takes a moment for the back page to become fully viewable
> again. Sometimes, the closing page "peels down" instead
> of instantly closing. Any idea what causes this?
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Go to Control Panel - User accounts and check to see if
>> your account has administrative privileges.
>> Are you the only user on this system? The account should
>> not be effected by this process.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Carolinian wrote:
>>> Ok, Bert. Will give it a try. However, logging on as
>>> an adminstrator is new to me. Will it ask me if I want
>>> to save my old profile when I log in that way? If not,
>>> how do I save the old profile and after using the admin
>>> profile, should I (and how do I) go back to the
>>> original? Hate to be such a pain, but it's great having
>>> pros like you all to help me out! Thanks!

Not yet. Should I? Are you saying they might be related? The original
problems I had with IE were the usual, slow loading, not displaying pages,
etc, but restores took care of that for a while. Yet when I recently ran
Security Check from my Symantec firewall (on their website) and then ran the
antivirus check there, the virus chk downloaded all the Active X it needed,
but then displayed a mssg saying it could not complete the virus scan. I
wrote to them asking why it could not be completed and they said problems
like that are usually bec IE needs repaired. Like I said, I've restore this
XP so many times, it's not funny. I've also done the hp pc system recovery
to get it back to "factory" condition. Keep having probs with IE tho.