Your question

Upgrade Power Supply

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Dell
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 7, 2004 3:09:43 AM

I currently have a dell PC and would like to upgrade my power supply from what I have currently have, 250watts. I am buying an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card and I fear it will require more of a power supply. I have no idea what to look for in a power supply other than watts. What are some good inexpensive power supplies that can hold the 9800 Pro? How can I check if it is compatible with my Dell computer? Also, are there any sites that can give me a crash course on power supplies?
I can currently spend about $50.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More about : upgrade power supply

July 7, 2004 4:16:13 AM

If your Dell is a P4 (or P4 based Celeron), it probably uses an ATX power supply. If it's a P3 (including P3 based Celeron) or earlier, it probably doesn't.

Easy way to tell? Open it up and look at the connector. Both versions use a standard ATX power connector, but the earlier ones are wired differently on the same connector. If it has a group of 3 orange wires on the 20-pin connector, it's probably standard ATX.

Also the proprietary power supplies used a flat 6-pin connector with 3 blue and 3 black wires, beware of proprietary parts.

If it's standard ATX, the case still might have problems fitting certain power supplies due to the location of the power connector. But the case can be modified if needed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 7, 2004 10:16:56 PM

Mine is a standard. Do you guys think a Silencer 360 Dell would be worth buying?
Related resources
July 7, 2004 10:56:16 PM

No, I'd just get an ATX power supply, preferably with the cord connector in the same location.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 8, 2004 12:38:05 AM

I called up Dell to see what I would be able to upgrade my power supply to. They told me I have 250watts and that is the MAXIMUM it can go. I was like this is gotta be BS. I didnt pay $1200 and not be able to upgrade my video card(cant have a radeon 9800 pro they say) or my power supply. Are they right here, or can I really upgrade my power supply? Whoever has a Dimension 4600, I'd really appreciate some advice!
July 8, 2004 12:39:33 AM

YOu can definitely go above 250, and the Silencer is a reat power supply. If yours is standard ATX though, don't want the Dell, want the Silnecer ATX(the Dell model has the custom Dell wiring that Crashman mentioned). If you want something a bit cheaper, bbut still very quiet and great quality, get an Enermax Noisetaker. That's waht I'm currently using.
July 8, 2004 1:33:39 AM

I looked on the Dell site itself and the people there said the power supply Dell gives is very underrated. They said it really goes to be around 320-350watts. So I am guessing I will stick to the power supply I have, buy the video card I want(ATI Radeon 9800 PRO), and see if it works. If not, I can always send it back for a refund. Dell technical support are idiots anyway...
July 8, 2004 2:43:32 AM

Dell has no idea what will work, they only know what they sell. Their 250W power supply is rated 250W continuous, good for around 350W peak I think. Dells that use standard ATX power (ie, have the 3 orange wires on the power supply) can use other ATX power supplies, but the d00dz at Dell support don't know this because it's not on their parts list.

!