Reduced CPU temp with new PSU

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
My system was running on a cheapo 350 watt PSU that came with my case. As I added and upgraded the temps kept going up. Even with 4 fans, 2 in and 2 out as well as the PSU fan, the CPU temp was 55C at load. The PSU died and I got an Antec TruePower 430 from Compusa but it ran warm and the CPU temp was the same, which was no big deal since its never been a problem. I ordered an Antec 550 True Control from Newegg and it runs much cooler overall and the CPU temp has dropped to 44C-48C. Is it normal for a stressed PSU to cause the CPU temp to be so much higher when the case temp remains the same at 23C?

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

poly4life

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
I must say I am somewhat alarmed to hear that your 430 ran warm. Some PSUs have fans that will speed up if temperature reaches its threshold. If your 430 was stressed, then it may have been supplying "dirty" voltage, as your system shouldn't tax your PSU. A mild warm, closer to cold than "warm warm", is normal. Your 430 may have been in bad shape, since you bought it from CompUSA. Antec is great but even the best parts break down and can arrive DOA.

As a side, ask yourself if you applied the thermal paste evenly and correctly to your cpu and/or hsf, if you do not use a thermal pad.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Heh, yeah, the arctic silver was applied properly...over a year ago. Keep in mind this was an existing system, that always ran stable, but warm as well. The original PSU just gave out as I added more devices. We're talking about a 2500 oc'd to 3200, 4 hard drives, 2 cd drives, a 9800pro, 4 fans, several USB devices, an Audigy Live drive, and neon.

I think that the thermal sensor in the new Antec 430 might have been faulty and the fans never increased speed when they should have. Still, unless it was supplying too much voltage to the core, I don't see why just the CPU temp would lower that much simply by changing the PSU. I really do like the True Control 550. I got the voltages dead on and they are rock solid stable.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Faulty Antec power supplies don't surprize me at all, I've seen pleanty. There are power supplies available from companies like Fortron Source that have 120mm fans on the bottom, drawing heat AWAY from the CPU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

poly4life

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Certainly a faulty thermal sensor is a possiblity. In addition, as Crashman pointed out, and I am not certain this applies to the 430, the particular Fortron Source PSU mentioned draws heat away from the CPU.