When I attempt to open an application, I get this title - 16 Bit Windows
Subsystem - with the following text
:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC/NT/ The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close to terminate the
application.
Close Ignore

What does this mean?

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
Program"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

--

Will Denny