Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I had to install drivers for my xp laptop from hp com how will it work

Last response: in Windows 7
October 16, 2009 6:59:28 PM

Hi everyone, I had to install drivers for my laptop because it was refurbished, so I had to go to hp.com, click on support and drivers, type in my model number, select operating system then download them all. How will I do this for Windows 7? Windows 7 wasn't on the list of operating systems, and I would like to order it before the 22nd of october. Would I just download the Windows Vista or XP ones or something? Please can you help me.
thanks

steve
a b D Laptop
October 16, 2009 7:56:40 PM

If your notebook is too old to even carry Vista drivers, you probably shouldn't be installing 7.

You can always look up your specific hardware components and get drivers from the manufacturer of those components directly.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2009 8:12:48 PM

Windows 7 hasn't been released yet, so that may come into play.

Vista drivers are often compatible, but Windows 7 will default install a generic NIC driver and can be allowed to go to the internet to find drivers for your devices.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 17, 2009 9:25:37 PM

As huron said, many drivers written for Vista will also work under Windows 7. If HP does not have any 7 specific drivers listed on their site, downloading and installing the Vista drivers for those devices will almost always work fine.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2009 10:42:07 PM

IMO, installing anew OS on old hardware is almost always a bad idea. Like gravity, some laws just need to be obeyed and you have to remember that every MS Windows OS ever released was/is slower than it's predecessor on the same hardware.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2009 10:59:06 PM

Conversely, Windows 7 has a ruck ton of drivers in it, even for some pretty weird stuff. The chances are you may be OK anyway. I'm running Windows 7 RC on a single-core Sempron based HP notebook and there's not been a problem - Windows even recognised the fingerprint reader!
m
l
October 18, 2009 4:36:04 AM

Ok you can try "compatability" mode. Right click on an .exe file of one of drivers i.e Xp, and there's a tab in there somewhere that has this option and see if that works. If not maybe Windows 7 will recognize it right-a-way by itself..thirdly you can install Xp install the drivers then install windows 7. That will work.
m
l
November 2, 2009 2:25:40 PM

frozenlead said:
If your notebook is too old to even carry Vista drivers, you probably shouldn't be installing 7.

You can always look up your specific hardware components and get drivers from the manufacturer of those components directly.

No my notebook can have Windows Vista Drivers as its not very old.
m
l
!