Sign in with
Your question

Should i Trade my gaming desktop for a asus g73sw

Last response: in Video Games
January 10, 2012 10:54:23 AM

Hello i found a nice asus g73sw laptop the one with the new sandy bridge pros, it has the nivida 460m card 6gigs of ram, I am going to sell my Desktop that i built the specs on this is a intel core 2 quad q9550 2.83 4 gigs ram on a nivida 790sli mob with a 1 1/2 tb hdd at 7200 in a black antec case running windows 7 ulit. So my question to my fellow techs do you think that is a good trade or is my current setup better for gaimng which is what i will use it for. I like the laptop becuase i think i get exactly what i have now and its portable. So what do you guys think?
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 10, 2012 11:07:01 AM

if you had comparable cards there would be little difference in gaming most of the time. the desktop offers upgrades which will outlast the laptop... bang in an discreet gtx 460 and watch your desktop punish the laptop by some margin...
it may not transcode a dvd as quickly but it will play games better as you can add much bigger gfx cards.

personaly i wouldnt swap it... i would just add more grunt.
m
l
January 10, 2012 11:07:23 AM

Come on guys im gonna do the deal tomorrow if you know the specs on the g37sw help me out
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2012 11:11:22 AM

HEXiT said:
if you had comparable cards there would be little difference in gaming most of the time. the desktop offers upgrades which will outlast the laptop... bang in an discreet gtx 460 and watch your desktop punish the laptop by some margin...
it may not transcode a dvd as quickly but it will play games better as you can add much bigger gfx cards.

personaly i wouldnt swap it... i would just add more grunt.

sorry hexit i didnt see your reply before i sent that, Thanks man yeah you know i kinda agree with that but at the same time the pros on the g73 seems to be better then my quad and cant i just upgrade the graphics card on the laptop with say a 560m in the future, That would be the only thing i would care about just to make it last a bit longer before i replace it with a newer model
m
l
January 10, 2012 12:06:36 PM

Anyone else opinon i could really use them im going to be doing the deal tomorrow night maybe
m
l
January 10, 2012 12:22:27 PM

Personally I avoid gaming laptops.

They get hot, have low battery life and weight a lot.
Add to this the lack of upgrade options and extra cost.

What's your current graphics card?
m
l
January 10, 2012 12:32:12 PM

joedastudd said:
Personally I avoid gaming laptops.

They get hot, have low battery life and weight a lot.
Add to this the lack of upgrade options and extra cost.

What's your current graphics card?

Its two evga 9800gtx+ sli
m
l
January 10, 2012 12:32:53 PM

if you know the specs on the g37sw help me out .
m
l
January 10, 2012 12:47:48 PM

sonyxx said:
if you know the specs on the g37sw help me out .http://www.bosin.info/g.gif

Yup sure do Intel Core i7 2630QM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
750GB 7200rpm
Blu-Ray DVD Combo
6 gigs ram
Intel HM65 Express Chipset
full 1080p led lcd screen 17.3
m
l
January 10, 2012 12:49:09 PM

and the pros is running at 2.00ghz
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 10, 2012 12:59:55 PM

If you hit a game that needs cpu horsepower, the fastest it will go is 2.9Ghz but only on one core. If a game requires something like a dual-core : 2.2Ghz, it may just be capable of doing it within its thermal limit, while the desktop willl do it with ease.

Now saying that, the Q9550 is SKT-755 which is EOL, so your probably going to start thinking about upgrading in the next year anyway, so stick with it and save, when your ready, flog it and put the cash towards a new Ivy Bridge/Haswell based system.
m
l
January 10, 2012 1:32:16 PM

I would advise strongly against this swap. Even if in 2 years time you need to spend money to upgrade your desktop you can do it at lower cost than replacing/upgrading a laptop.

Look at it this way, say in 2 years time you need new mobo, CPU, GPU and maybe RAM. You can still keep your HDD, case and PSU, not to mention any fancy things like sound card or network card if you got a dedicated.

Laptop? the most you'd be able to replace is upgrade to same socket CPU given that the PSU will be able to provide the power for it and if it's an MXM GPU then you might be able to upgrade the GPU. And you can add a better HDD and RAM. That's it. Not to mention that your cooling system in the laptop will become very useless once you do the upgrades as more powerful hardware will generate more heat while your cooling system was designed for less powerful hardware. Not to mention how hard it is for a consumer to get a mobile gpu/cpu for replacement and the amount of premium you will have to dish out on it, just because it's a mobile form factor.

An absolute no-no, laptops are a technological dead-end. Only resort to laptop if you need the portability, if portability is not the key to you, desktop will be better in 9/10 cases.
m
l
January 10, 2012 2:55:56 PM

AntiZig said:
I would advise strongly against this swap. Even if in 2 years time you need to spend money to upgrade your desktop you can do it at lower cost than replacing/upgrading a laptop.

Look at it this way, say in 2 years time you need new mobo, CPU, GPU and maybe RAM. You can still keep your HDD, case and PSU, not to mention any fancy things like sound card or network card if you got a dedicated.

Laptop? the most you'd be able to replace is upgrade to same socket CPU given that the PSU will be able to provide the power for it and if it's an MXM GPU then you might be able to upgrade the GPU. And you can add a better HDD and RAM. That's it. Not to mention that your cooling system in the laptop will become very useless once you do the upgrades as more powerful hardware will generate more heat while your cooling system was designed for less powerful hardware. Not to mention how hard it is for a consumer to get a mobile gpu/cpu for replacement and the amount of premium you will have to dish out on it, just because it's a mobile form factor.

An absolute no-no, laptops are a technological dead-end. Only resort to laptop if you need the portability, if portability is not the key to you, desktop will be better in 9/10 cases.

I understand that desktops are cheaper and can be upgraded easier but i wasint worried about that i was just trying to see if the g73sw was my desktop in laptop form when compared specs wise is it? the main application being gaming.
m
l
January 10, 2012 4:51:13 PM

Hi :) 

It isnt what you have now and NO its not a good swap...IMHO...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 10, 2012 5:35:09 PM

ah well in that case,

460m is about same performance as 4850. 4850 ~ 9800GTX. and since you got the SLI then your desktop is equivalent to 460m SLI.

and a Q9550 desktop CPU is roughly equivalent to i7-2630QM mobile CPU.

So, as you can see, your desktop is in no way worse than that laptop, in fact that desktop will slap that laptop with a trout anyday
m
l
January 10, 2012 6:02:45 PM

i'd say no as well
m
l
!