Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I'm looking to build a new rig and am starting to make some final decisions on the components. Before I make any final decisions on the CPU/Mobo, I want to settle on probably the most overlooked component in the pc: the Power Supply.

After doing a little reading, one thing is clear, the PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 is regarded as the best ATX PS available!! But, at $219+ it ain't cheap. While I completely understand that you get what you pay for, I don't want to pay over $200 for a PS (PCP&C, Enermax, or SilentX) period!

Given the high power requirements of the latest crop of video cards (from both major GPU manufacturers) and the other components I'm planning on putting in my new rig, I'll need a high quality, high wattage PS I can depend on.

I'm also planning on a windowed case, so a little color (cable sleves, LED fans) wouldn't hurt either. But, I want to buy it that way off the shelf. I don't want to spend time modding any PS. Here's most of what I'm planning on running in the pc:

1) 2-3 Hard Drives
2) 2 Optical Drives (DVD ROM, DVDRW)
3) ATI X800XT PE Video Card
4) 3 Case Fans (minimum)
5) OC'd P4 3.4c (possibly)
6) Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
7) TV Tuner/Video Capture Card

I've seen all the glowing recommendations for the Fortron Source 530W And Antec 550W Truepower PS units, but they don't really have the features I'm looking for. I've seen some of the newer units from OCZ, EPower, Thermaltake, ect. but they don't have any history on which to base a decision (except possibly Thermaltake which i'm interested in the Silent PurePower 560W W0023).

The features I'd like in a PS are as follows:

1) High Quality, Reliability
2) 500 - 600 Watts
3) SATA Connectors
4) Sleved Cables (all of them)
5) $ under $125
6) LED Fans (negotiable)

Can anybody make any recommendations based on experience ?

"Nuke em till they glow, shoot em after dark"

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
You really don't need 500-600W for that system.

ANd from places I've seen that do the custom work like you want(ie sleeving the PSUs), good chance you'll end up right around $200 again anwyays by time you get PSU that fits your requiremnets.

<A HREF="http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php" target="_new">http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php</A>

Someplace like that though should be able to help you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd get the Fortron Source 400W with the blue LED 120mm fan if I were you.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
etp777, Thanks for the linkage. Lots of very nice stuff on Performance-PCs.com. You may be right about the budget increase, but at least I'll have more options and get what I really want - High Quality and Performance with ALL the bells and whistles.

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Thanks for the advise Crash. I've read a lot of good things about the units from Fortron Source. They were on my list, but didn't see any models with most of the options I listed.

I currently have an Antec True Power 430W, but this PSU will go along with my present mobo when I build that into another rig for my bro.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the Themaltake 420 Pure Power. It's the only power supply I've ever had that doesn't undervolt a single rail. It's only been running a couple of weeks but I'm impressed. You'll notice the P C Power & Cooling supplies only put 3.2v on the 3.3v rail. It was bothersome enough that the reviewer mentioned it twice. I just pitched one that dropped to 3.18v. The TT hits it with 3.38v! 5v @ 5.05, 12v @ 12.04 :smile:

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.30 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - EAT ME MSI!