Pri Master HDD error

Is my boot disk corrupted? What can I do?

First, I got error msg when try to start my Window XP, got msg
<windows root> \ system32\hal.dll is missing.

So I had to restart the computer with original Window xp CD with Recovery
Console. I did chkdsk /R, and it stops at 18%.
Now, when I try to start the computer, it gives error Pri Master HDD error
run Setup. I don't have a floppy boot disk. I just have the XP CD
rom software
that come with my PC. The msg on the computer tells me to run a system diag
nostic utility from hardware manufacture, but it keeps asking for boot
disk A.
Please help, thank you!

Sounds like the drive may have failed. Download and run a diagnostic utility
from the drive manufacturer's web site.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Susana" wrote:
| Is my boot disk corrupted? What can I do?
|
| First, I got error msg when try to start my Window XP, got msg
| <windows root> \ system32\hal.dll is missing.
|
| So I had to restart the computer with original Window xp CD with
Recovery
| Console. I did chkdsk /R, and it stops at 18%.
| Now, when I try to start the computer, it gives error Pri Master HDD
error
| run Setup. I don't have a floppy boot disk. I just have the XP CD
| rom software
| that come with my PC. The msg on the computer tells me to run a system
diag
| nostic utility from hardware manufacture, but it keeps asking for boot
| disk A.
| Please help, thank you!

I won't be able to download from the web site. My PC can't even start
right now because the drive is corrupted. Should I get a new harddrive?
But then, can I install XP os again on the new harddrive? Will I have
to get a new activation key again from Microsoft?