a few problems ive been having

April 24, 2005 11:04:04 PM

hey guys, im new to this forum. ive got some help from the office forum and
it was great you guys rock! im not to computer savoy but im getting there ;o)
yes ive taken advise from friends and other people so im sure some is good
and some was bad so bare with me. i have a new system as far as technology
goes. it has an AMD Sempron 2800+ processor 2.00 Ghz, 448 MB of RAM windows
xp of course!

now one of the problems i have is when im downloading music or videos if i
have other programs up like a browser or a word doc, while the file is
downloading everything runs very slow and sometimes freezes or shuts down
cause i get one of those "error generated send or do not send report" windows
and ive even had to use task manager to close things. a friend told me to
restore my system cause i might have alot of junk files, ad or spyware, ect
so i did and it ran alot smoother. well this has now been my third time
restoring and i want to know if there is a certain program i can use when i
download, should i even download at all (i use limewire, the full version)
i also try and get rid of any files or programs i dont use so i use control
panel and delete programs ill never use after i restore is that a good idea?
oh and one more question, is it bad to be restoring my system so much?
thanks guys
-tina

More about : problems ive

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:11:20 AM

Tina Jones wrote:
> hey guys, im new to this forum. ive got some help from the office
> forum and it was great you guys rock! im not to computer savoy but im
> getting there ;o) yes ive taken advise from friends and other people
> so im sure some is good and some was bad so bare with me. i have a
> new system as far as technology goes. it has an AMD Sempron 2800+
> processor 2.00 Ghz, 448 MB of RAM windows xp of course!
>
> now one of the problems i have is when im downloading music or videos
> if i have other programs up like a browser or a word doc, while the
> file is downloading everything runs very slow and sometimes freezes
> or shuts down cause i get one of those "error generated send or do
> not send report" windows and ive even had to use task manager to
> close things. a friend told me to restore my system cause i might
> have alot of junk files, ad or spyware, ect so i did and it ran alot
> smoother. well this has now been my third time restoring and i want
> to know if there is a certain program i can use when i download,
> should i even download at all (i use limewire, the full version)
> i also try and get rid of any files or programs i dont use so i use
> control panel and delete programs ill never use after i restore is
> that a good idea? oh and one more question, is it bad to be restoring
> my system so much? thanks guys
> -tina

Tina, you can restore your system as much as you want, and it won't cause
any harm. Also, if the programs you remove do not run, then it makes no
difference in how your computer will run. Programs that don't run just sit
on the hard drive, which hopfully is not too full (just check). Only running
programs can slow a machine down.
If you don't mind restoring your machine on a regular basis, that might be
the best way to go. Most people really hate having to do it, but it depends
on your useage pattern. Just be sure to load and run antivirus and
antispyware programs that are up to date and you will be OK.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:59:01 AM

hey thank you very much. ummm so its ok to junk what i dont need? is there
anything special i can do that will make my system run its best? and when i
complete a system restore it deletes EVERYTHING as in gone forever?
thanks again!

"T. Waters" wrote:

> Tina Jones wrote:
> > hey guys, im new to this forum. ive got some help from the office
> > forum and it was great you guys rock! im not to computer savoy but im
> > getting there ;o) yes ive taken advise from friends and other people
> > so im sure some is good and some was bad so bare with me. i have a
> > new system as far as technology goes. it has an AMD Sempron 2800+
> > processor 2.00 Ghz, 448 MB of RAM windows xp of course!
> >
> > now one of the problems i have is when im downloading music or videos
> > if i have other programs up like a browser or a word doc, while the
> > file is downloading everything runs very slow and sometimes freezes
> > or shuts down cause i get one of those "error generated send or do
> > not send report" windows and ive even had to use task manager to
> > close things. a friend told me to restore my system cause i might
> > have alot of junk files, ad or spyware, ect so i did and it ran alot
> > smoother. well this has now been my third time restoring and i want
> > to know if there is a certain program i can use when i download,
> > should i even download at all (i use limewire, the full version)
> > i also try and get rid of any files or programs i dont use so i use
> > control panel and delete programs ill never use after i restore is
> > that a good idea? oh and one more question, is it bad to be restoring
> > my system so much? thanks guys
> > -tina
>
> Tina, you can restore your system as much as you want, and it won't cause
> any harm. Also, if the programs you remove do not run, then it makes no
> difference in how your computer will run. Programs that don't run just sit
> on the hard drive, which hopfully is not too full (just check). Only running
> programs can slow a machine down.
> If you don't mind restoring your machine on a regular basis, that might be
> the best way to go. Most people really hate having to do it, but it depends
> on your useage pattern. Just be sure to load and run antivirus and
> antispyware programs that are up to date and you will be OK.

April 26, 2005 12:50:52 AM

Tina..... I suggest, that you download music/video files (which are
usually very large), you might want to do it at a time when you aren't
using the PC for other tasks. Perhaps do so while watching a fav. tv
program or 2.......or even during the night, while you sleep. That way,
your programs won't be competing with the download software for
resources.

Carol2

"Tina Jones" <TinaJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey guys, im new to this forum. ive got some help from the office
> forum and
> it was great you guys rock! im not to computer savoy but im getting
> there ;o)
> yes ive taken advise from friends and other people so im sure some is
> good
> and some was bad so bare with me. i have a new system as far as
> technology
> goes. it has an AMD Sempron 2800+ processor 2.00 Ghz, 448 MB of RAM
> windows
> xp of course!
>
> now one of the problems i have is when im downloading music or videos
> if i
> have other programs up like a browser or a word doc, while the file is
> downloading everything runs very slow and sometimes freezes or shuts
> down
> cause i get one of those "error generated send or do not send report"
> windows
> and ive even had to use task manager to close things. a friend told me
> restore my system cause i might have alot of junk files, ad or
> spyware, ect
> so i did and it ran alot smoother. well this has now been my third
> time
> restoring and i want to know if there is a certain program i can use
> when i
> download, should i even download at all (i use limewire, the full
> version)
> i also try and get rid of any files or programs i dont use so i use
> control
> panel and delete programs ill never use after i restore is that a good
> idea?
> oh and one more question, is it bad to be restoring my system so much?
> thanks guys
> -tina
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:38:14 AM

System Restore just resets your software to an earlier date. Look it up in
Help and Support.
I assumed you were actually restoring your computer to factory condition by
reinstalling your operating system (XP). I was recommending you continue
doing whatever restoration method had worked for you in the past. If you do
reinstall the operating system, it will destroy all your data, music,
pictures, etc. so you would need to make backups of all that. If you have
gotten good results from System Restore in the past, then you should
continue with that.

!