a few problems ive been having

hey guys, im new to this forum. ive got some help from the office forum and
it was great you guys rock! im not to computer savoy but im getting there ;o)
yes ive taken advise from friends and other people so im sure some is good
and some was bad so bare with me. i have a new system as far as technology
goes. it has an AMD Sempron 2800+ processor 2.00 Ghz, 448 MB of RAM windows
xp of course!

now one of the problems i have is when im downloading music or videos if i
have other programs up like a browser or a word doc, while the file is
downloading everything runs very slow and sometimes freezes or shuts down
cause i get one of those "error generated send or do not send report" windows
and ive even had to use task manager to close things. a friend told me to
restore my system cause i might have alot of junk files, ad or spyware, ect
so i did and it ran alot smoother. well this has now been my third time
restoring and i want to know if there is a certain program i can use when i
download, should i even download at all (i use limewire, the full version)
i also try and get rid of any files or programs i dont use so i use control
panel and delete programs ill never use after i restore is that a good idea?
oh and one more question, is it bad to be restoring my system so much?
thanks guys
-tina
4 answers Last reply
More about problems having

    Tina Jones wrote:
    > hey guys, im new to this forum. ive got some help from the office
    > forum and it was great you guys rock! im not to computer savoy but im
    > getting there ;o) yes ive taken advise from friends and other people
    > so im sure some is good and some was bad so bare with me. i have a
    > new system as far as technology goes. it has an AMD Sempron 2800+
    > processor 2.00 Ghz, 448 MB of RAM windows xp of course!
    >
    > now one of the problems i have is when im downloading music or videos
    > if i have other programs up like a browser or a word doc, while the
    > file is downloading everything runs very slow and sometimes freezes
    > or shuts down cause i get one of those "error generated send or do
    > not send report" windows and ive even had to use task manager to
    > close things. a friend told me to restore my system cause i might
    > have alot of junk files, ad or spyware, ect so i did and it ran alot
    > smoother. well this has now been my third time restoring and i want
    > to know if there is a certain program i can use when i download,
    > should i even download at all (i use limewire, the full version)
    > i also try and get rid of any files or programs i dont use so i use
    > control panel and delete programs ill never use after i restore is
    > that a good idea? oh and one more question, is it bad to be restoring
    > my system so much? thanks guys
    > -tina

    Tina, you can restore your system as much as you want, and it won't cause
    any harm. Also, if the programs you remove do not run, then it makes no
    difference in how your computer will run. Programs that don't run just sit
    on the hard drive, which hopfully is not too full (just check). Only running
    programs can slow a machine down.
    If you don't mind restoring your machine on a regular basis, that might be
    the best way to go. Most people really hate having to do it, but it depends
    on your useage pattern. Just be sure to load and run antivirus and
    antispyware programs that are up to date and you will be OK.

    hey thank you very much. ummm so its ok to junk what i dont need? is there
    anything special i can do that will make my system run its best? and when i
    complete a system restore it deletes EVERYTHING as in gone forever?
    thanks again!

    "T. Waters" wrote:

    > Tina Jones wrote:
    > > hey guys, im new to this forum. ive got some help from the office
    > > forum and it was great you guys rock! im not to computer savoy but im
    > > getting there ;o) yes ive taken advise from friends and other people
    > > so im sure some is good and some was bad so bare with me. i have a
    > > new system as far as technology goes. it has an AMD Sempron 2800+
    > > processor 2.00 Ghz, 448 MB of RAM windows xp of course!
    > >
    > > now one of the problems i have is when im downloading music or videos
    > > if i have other programs up like a browser or a word doc, while the
    > > file is downloading everything runs very slow and sometimes freezes
    > > or shuts down cause i get one of those "error generated send or do
    > > not send report" windows and ive even had to use task manager to
    > > close things. a friend told me to restore my system cause i might
    > > have alot of junk files, ad or spyware, ect so i did and it ran alot
    > > smoother. well this has now been my third time restoring and i want
    > > to know if there is a certain program i can use when i download,
    > > should i even download at all (i use limewire, the full version)
    > > i also try and get rid of any files or programs i dont use so i use
    > > control panel and delete programs ill never use after i restore is
    > > that a good idea? oh and one more question, is it bad to be restoring
    > > my system so much? thanks guys
    > > -tina
    >
    > Tina, you can restore your system as much as you want, and it won't cause
    > any harm. Also, if the programs you remove do not run, then it makes no
    > difference in how your computer will run. Programs that don't run just sit
    > on the hard drive, which hopfully is not too full (just check). Only running
    > programs can slow a machine down.
    > If you don't mind restoring your machine on a regular basis, that might be
    > the best way to go. Most people really hate having to do it, but it depends
    > on your useage pattern. Just be sure to load and run antivirus and
    > antispyware programs that are up to date and you will be OK.

    Tina..... I suggest, that you download music/video files (which are
    usually very large), you might want to do it at a time when you aren't
    using the PC for other tasks. Perhaps do so while watching a fav. tv
    program or 2.......or even during the night, while you sleep. That way,
    your programs won't be competing with the download software for
    resources.

    Carol2

    "Tina Jones" <TinaJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hey guys, im new to this forum. ive got some help from the office
    > forum and
    > it was great you guys rock! im not to computer savoy but im getting
    > there ;o)
    > yes ive taken advise from friends and other people so im sure some is
    > good
    > and some was bad so bare with me. i have a new system as far as
    > technology
    > goes. it has an AMD Sempron 2800+ processor 2.00 Ghz, 448 MB of RAM
    > windows
    > xp of course!
    >
    > now one of the problems i have is when im downloading music or videos
    > if i
    > have other programs up like a browser or a word doc, while the file is
    > downloading everything runs very slow and sometimes freezes or shuts
    > down
    > cause i get one of those "error generated send or do not send report"
    > windows
    > and ive even had to use task manager to close things. a friend told me
    > restore my system cause i might have alot of junk files, ad or
    > spyware, ect
    > so i did and it ran alot smoother. well this has now been my third
    > time
    > restoring and i want to know if there is a certain program i can use
    > when i
    > download, should i even download at all (i use limewire, the full
    > version)
    > i also try and get rid of any files or programs i dont use so i use
    > control
    > panel and delete programs ill never use after i restore is that a good
    > idea?
    > oh and one more question, is it bad to be restoring my system so much?
    > thanks guys
    > -tina

    System Restore just resets your software to an earlier date. Look it up in
    Help and Support.
    I assumed you were actually restoring your computer to factory condition by
    reinstalling your operating system (XP). I was recommending you continue
    doing whatever restoration method had worked for you in the past. If you do
    reinstall the operating system, it will destroy all your data, music,
    pictures, etc. so you would need to make backups of all that. If you have
    gotten good results from System Restore in the past, then you should
    continue with that.

    > hey thank you very much. ummm so its ok to junk what i dont need? is there
    > anything special i can do that will make my system run its best? and when
    > complete a system restore it deletes EVERYTHING as in gone forever?
    > thanks again!
    >
    > "T. Waters" wrote:
    >
    > > Tina Jones wrote:
    > > > hey guys, im new to this forum. ive got some help from the office
    > > > forum and it was great you guys rock! im not to computer savoy but im
    > > > getting there ;o) yes ive taken advise from friends and other people
    > > > so im sure some is good and some was bad so bare with me. i have a
    > > > new system as far as technology goes. it has an AMD Sempron 2800+
    > > > processor 2.00 Ghz, 448 MB of RAM windows xp of course!
    > > >
    > > > now one of the problems i have is when im downloading music or videos
    > > > if i have other programs up like a browser or a word doc, while the
    > > > file is downloading everything runs very slow and sometimes freezes
    > > > or shuts down cause i get one of those "error generated send or do
    > > > not send report" windows and ive even had to use task manager to
    > > > close things. a friend told me to restore my system cause i might
    > > > have alot of junk files, ad or spyware, ect so i did and it ran alot
    > > > smoother. well this has now been my third time restoring and i want
    > > > to know if there is a certain program i can use when i download,
    > > > should i even download at all (i use limewire, the full version)
    > > > i also try and get rid of any files or programs i dont use so i use
    > > > control panel and delete programs ill never use after i restore is
    > > > that a good idea? oh and one more question, is it bad to be restoring
    > > > my system so much? thanks guys
    > > > -tina
    > >
    > > Tina, you can restore your system as much as you want, and it won't
    cause
    > > any harm. Also, if the programs you remove do not run, then it makes no
    > > difference in how your computer will run. Programs that don't run just
    sit
    > > on the hard drive, which hopfully is not too full (just check). Only
    running
    > > programs can slow a machine down.
    > > If you don't mind restoring your machine on a regular basis, that might
    be
    > > the best way to go. Most people really hate having to do it, but it
    depends
    > > on your useage pattern. Just be sure to load and run antivirus and
    > > antispyware programs that are up to date and you will be OK.

Windows XP