Computer restarts by itself after after manual or auto shu..

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
April 24, 2005 11:46:02 PM

My computer is restarting by itself after having been turned off at the
switch. If I
unplug the telephone line, then it does not restart by itself. I have
checked the
configuration in my bios and all has been set up to stay off or not to
restart on
power failure. I checked my modem settings under Windows and the box is
unchecked next to "allow this device to bring computer out of standby. I have
looked at all of the settings for the modem in my computer/hardware/device
manager/modems and cannot find any other settins to change. The same is true
in my bios settings. The problem certainly seems to be connected with the
modem
but I just cannot locate the problem. I do not have a lan card but I tried
to check
for a "wake up on lan" setting but cannot find anything.
I'm sure that I'm missing a setting somewhere but have run out of places to
look.
Help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Don

More about : computer restarts after manual auto shu

April 25, 2005 11:43:17 AM

In news:FF706590-B845-42DE-8285-10E68BC75945@microsoft.com,
DTrider <DTrider@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> My computer is restarting by itself after having been turned off at
> the switch. If I
> unplug the telephone line, then it does not restart by itself. I have
> checked the
> configuration in my bios and all has been set up to stay off or not to
> restart on
> power failure. I checked my modem settings under Windows and the box
> is unchecked next to "allow this device to bring computer out of
> standby. I have looked at all of the settings for the modem in my
> computer/hardware/device manager/modems and cannot find any other
> settins to change. The same is true in my bios settings. The problem
> certainly seems to be connected with the modem
> but I just cannot locate the problem. I do not have a lan card but I
> tried to check
> for a "wake up on lan" setting but cannot find anything.
> I'm sure that I'm missing a setting somewhere but have run out of
> places to look.
> Help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
> Thank You,
> Don

Some preliminary questions:

Does it DO anything when it restarts?
Does your BIOS have settings to enable it to power on at a certain time (an
alarm feature?)
Is this plugged into a quality surge protection unit? (Power spikes have
been known to turn on the PC is why I ask.)

Galen
April 25, 2005 12:23:59 PM

"DTrider" <DTrider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| My computer is restarting by itself after having been turned off at the
| switch. If I
| unplug the telephone line, then it does not restart by itself. I have
| checked the
| configuration in my bios and all has been set up to stay off or not to
| restart on
| power failure. I checked my modem settings under Windows and the box is
| unchecked next to "allow this device to bring computer out of standby. I
have
| looked at all of the settings for the modem in my computer/hardware/device
| manager/modems and cannot find any other settins to change. The same is
true
| in my bios settings. The problem certainly seems to be connected with the
| modem
| but I just cannot locate the problem. I do not have a lan card but I
tried
| to check
| for a "wake up on lan" setting but cannot find anything.
| I'm sure that I'm missing a setting somewhere but have run out of places
| look.
| Help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
| Thank You,
| Don

As you say it does not restart with the phone line unplugged I'd have
another look in the BIOS for a "wake on ring" setting you may have missed.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.