Computer restarts by itself after after manual or auto shu..

My computer is restarting by itself after having been turned off at the
switch. If I
unplug the telephone line, then it does not restart by itself. I have
checked the
configuration in my bios and all has been set up to stay off or not to
restart on
power failure. I checked my modem settings under Windows and the box is
unchecked next to "allow this device to bring computer out of standby. I have
looked at all of the settings for the modem in my computer/hardware/device
manager/modems and cannot find any other settins to change. The same is true
in my bios settings. The problem certainly seems to be connected with the
modem
but I just cannot locate the problem. I do not have a lan card but I tried
to check
for a "wake up on lan" setting but cannot find anything.
I'm sure that I'm missing a setting somewhere but have run out of places to
look.
Help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Don
2 answers Last reply
More about computer restarts after manual auto

    In news:FF706590-B845-42DE-8285-10E68BC75945@microsoft.com,
    DTrider <DTrider@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > My computer is restarting by itself after having been turned off at
    > the switch. If I
    > unplug the telephone line, then it does not restart by itself. I have
    > checked the
    > configuration in my bios and all has been set up to stay off or not to
    > restart on
    > power failure. I checked my modem settings under Windows and the box
    > is unchecked next to "allow this device to bring computer out of
    > standby. I have looked at all of the settings for the modem in my
    > computer/hardware/device manager/modems and cannot find any other
    > settins to change. The same is true in my bios settings. The problem
    > certainly seems to be connected with the modem
    > but I just cannot locate the problem. I do not have a lan card but I
    > tried to check
    > for a "wake up on lan" setting but cannot find anything.
    > I'm sure that I'm missing a setting somewhere but have run out of
    > places to look.
    > Help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thank You,
    > Don

    Some preliminary questions:

    Does it DO anything when it restarts?
    Does your BIOS have settings to enable it to power on at a certain time (an
    alarm feature?)
    Is this plugged into a quality surge protection unit? (Power spikes have
    been known to turn on the PC is why I ask.)

    Galen

    "DTrider" <DTrider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | My computer is restarting by itself after having been turned off at the
    | switch. If I
    | unplug the telephone line, then it does not restart by itself. I have
    | checked the
    | configuration in my bios and all has been set up to stay off or not to
    | restart on
    | power failure. I checked my modem settings under Windows and the box is
    | unchecked next to "allow this device to bring computer out of standby. I
    have
    | looked at all of the settings for the modem in my computer/hardware/device
    | manager/modems and cannot find any other settins to change. The same is
    true
    | in my bios settings. The problem certainly seems to be connected with the
    | modem
    | but I just cannot locate the problem. I do not have a lan card but I
    tried
    | to check
    | for a "wake up on lan" setting but cannot find anything.
    | I'm sure that I'm missing a setting somewhere but have run out of places
    | look.
    | Help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    | Thank You,
    | Don

    As you say it does not restart with the phone line unplugged I'd have
    another look in the BIOS for a "wake on ring" setting you may have missed.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.