2 x 3.5'' HDD in shuttle XPC case

Hi

Is anyone here running a shuttle xpc with 2 Hard disks? I am thinking of getting an extra dirve for my XPC and was wondering if 2 HDD's would cauuse too much heat build up.

Any feedback appreciated
4 answers Last reply
More about shuttle case
  1. There is a heat problem on many SFF systems when running 2 drives that can cause them to slowly burn out. This is acceptable because you knew that could be a problem when you bought the thing.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  2. thanks,

No, you are right and there is not a problem. The machine is being used as a media PC, hence my preference is for an external drive enclosure with both usb2 and firewire capability. I was however curious seeing as shuttle provide the 2 3.5in bays as to if something can be done, is it a good idea to do so (often no, its not)

Scott
  3. Hmm, I don't think you're saving a lot of space if you're using external drives, but that's the direction the industry is pushing for. I resist for reasons of practicality, that's why I recommend Micro ATX desktops as home theater PC's, they have a bit more space internally, take up less space on an audio system rack (due to their shorter height), and use commonly available parts (like Micro ATX boards).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  4. Its a good point, I agree. However for data swapping in terms of large (700mb+) files it would be useful to have the ability to move drives around. Space for the sff was'nt really an issue, the idea was that the machine should'nt really look like a PC, which has been quite successful.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Shuttle Cases Hard Drives Components