Rednaz

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Hi all

i have a choice between two psu's the thermaltake purepower 560watt or the antec true control 550watt on paper the antec looks beter but what i need is as many connectors as possible if theirs anyone with any information please contact me as soon as possible

thanx

Rednaz

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, I just had a look, the Fortron Source 530W is elite! I'm also seeing some Sparkle Power 530W supplies that are a bit cheaper at my dealer, but have the same model number. They appear to be the same thing! Do you have any info? Are the Sparkle Power supplies just as good?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Rednaz

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Unfortunetaly in my country (South Africa) i cannot get fortron i have to have to import half of the thing for my computer and i just can't afford to get any more stuff from overseas and those are the only products loccaly that fit my needs

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, but then again, you're the expert!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, no, but I did just see this article on Dateline about undercover advertizing, where people would go to various places including bars, clubs, and internet communities, and brag about things just to get people interested. And you are a stranger. But if you're still here in a few months, maybe I'll take you at face value. And if you ARE just pushing a product, PM me, I'm a review writer.

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I'd say offhand, go with the thermaltake. I got the 480 for my new comp and it had something like 9 or 10 molex connectors, more than enough.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

shaido7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
I would get a quality power supply like antec over the thermaltake because antec is suppose to be true power.a lot of companys claim thier power supplys perform at certain voltages at certain temps but burn up when put to the test and most new parts are more power hungry than ever
personally i would buy the new ocz adj520 power supply it is the new king according to anandtech.com and many other places.

pentium 4 3.2
oczpc3500 el ddr platinum matched ddr433
western digital raptor 74 gig 10k rpm
8knxp gigabyte
geforce 4 titanium 4600(i know get a faster card)soon!

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
What makes Antec better than Thermaltake? Colloquially, I've horror stories on this forum about Antec low-end PSU's going bad. I haven't heard anything bad about thermaltake, and the one I'm using right now seems to be working fine.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I put it in a new system I built, it replaced and Aspire 550 that came with the used case. Neopowers got a lot of nice features. Limits case clutter, dedicated two fan lead. Twin 12.v rails for plenty of good, clean power. Went in slick and easy and I couldn't be happier. The Aspire was cool to look at but I noticed wiggles and spikes in some of the rails when monitoring it with AsusProbe.

Da Worfster

PS but I do miss the nice blue lights on the Aspire.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Fritz

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
I'm currently with a 300W "Eagle" and am thinking I need a new one. My system right now looks like this
athlon 2700
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
2 x 512DDR400
1 x 40GB 7200 HDD
1 x 120GB 720 HDD
GF4 Ti4200 128MB 8x
CDRW Optorite 48x
a fdd, kbd and mouse.

Since it's undergoing upgrade, I started experiencing weird crashes here and there and I think the PSU might be the reason. What wattage do I need now (considering also soon getting a GF FX5900). Will 400-420 be fine?

Edit: I spent lots of time browsing and saw that I need higher 12v amperage and not that much max wattage. I found a nice relatively cheap antec case with a 350W PSU that has 17A on the 12v, would that be fine for me? I don't really plan OCing.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Fritz on 08/05/04 11:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fortron Source makes better power supplies than Antec.