Defrag Tool

Hi Folks!

My computer came with a defrag tool (probably a generic MS one?). A few
months ago I had to restore all the original facotry settings due to a nasty
virus.

Since then, whenever I go to the Tools section for my hard drive it says "No
defragmentation tool is currently installed".

It used to be there, before I did the restore.

Any ideas where I can get a copy or how I can find the original tool?

Many thanks,

Seamus
11 answers Last reply
More about defrag tool

    Hi

    Try typing the following from Start>Run:

    dfrg.msc

    Does the defrag app. appear?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Seamus Houghton" <Seamus Houghton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:FD848C9D-05A2-4D55-A7E9-8FC113A1DA43@microsoft.com...

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Try typing the following from Start>Run:
    >
    > dfrg.msc
    >
    > Does the defrag app. appear?

    Hi Will

    Thank you for the advice. When I followed your instructions I got an error
    message that said: "Microsoft Management Console has encountered a problem
    and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

    Any idea what that means?

    Thanks,

    Seamus

    "Seamus Houghton" <SeamusHoughton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:C1E5D1D6-6486-4152-B3A9-9C3A681D7D31@microsoft.com...
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Try typing the following from Start>Run:
    >>
    >> dfrg.msc
    >>
    >> Does the defrag app. appear?
    >>

    > Hi Will
    >
    > Thank you for the advice. When I followed your instructions I got an error
    > message that said: "Microsoft Management Console has encountered a problem
    > and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    >
    > Any idea what that means?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Seamus

    Hi Seamus

    Could you please have a look in the Event Viewer and see if there are any
    errors recorded there. If so could you please double click on the event and
    post the Source and Event ID.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    Hello Will

    << Could you please have a look in the Event Viewer >>

    Erm... what's that? (I'm now showing my ignorance of all things technical -
    hahaha!)

    Seamus

    "Seamus Houghton" <SeamusHoughton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:5122A80F-32CC-4CE8-BEAB-4CE681E0E5D1@microsoft.com...
    > Hello Will
    >
    > << Could you please have a look in the Event Viewer >>
    >
    > Erm... what's that? (I'm now showing my ignorance of all things
    > technical -
    > hahaha!)
    >

    > Seamus

    Sorry. The Event Viewer gives details of most errors that occur on a system
    with reference numbers that could help pinpoint the problem. From Start>Run
    type:

    eventvwr.msc

    and then expand the Application and System folders in the left hand pane.
    The errors have red crosses against them. You 'may' find that you'll get
    the same error message as before, I'm not sure.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    Hello Will

    Ok, it says: "Faulting application mmc.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting
    module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.2600.0, fault address 0x00033e58."

    Hope that helps...

    Seamus

    Hi Seamus

    The Microsoft Management Console could have become corrupted. See if
    replacing it with a fresh copy helps. Put the XP CD into the cd drive and
    then type the following from Start>Run:

    expand X:\i386\mmc.ex_ %systemroot%\system32\mmc.exe

    Where X is the letter of your cd drive. There is a space between the d and
    X and between the _ and %.

    Then try the MSC files again.

    --

    message news:7C2E886D-8EB8-49C4-B97D-AD29A1517FD7@microsoft.com...
    > Hello Will
    >
    > Ok, it says: "Faulting application mmc.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting
    > module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.2600.0, fault address 0x00033e58."
    >
    > Hope that helps...
    >

    > Seamus

    Hello Will

    << Put the XP CD into the cd drive >>

    My computer came with everything installed. I don't have a CD with XP on it.
    I have a "Recovery Disc" floppy and a "software" CD that just seems to
    contain games. Could the contents of the XP CD be stored on my hard drive?

    Regards,

    Seamus
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi Seamus

    There may be a copy of the mmc.exe file in the windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    folder - depending on which version of XP came installed on your PC. If
    that file exists, copy it to the windows\system32 folder.

    --

    message news:2CE71662-485B-43D0-9505-338AD47919EF@microsoft.com...
    > Hello Will
    >
    > << Put the XP CD into the cd drive >>
    >
    > My computer came with everything installed. I don't have a CD with XP on
    > it.
    > I have a "Recovery Disc" floppy and a "software" CD that just seems to
    > contain games. Could the contents of the XP CD be stored on my hard drive?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Seamus
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hello Will,

    << There may be a copy of the mmc.exe file in the
    windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    folder - depending on which version of XP came installed on your PC. If
    that file exists, copy it to the windows\system32 folder. >>

    I did a search for the mmc.exe file on my hard drive. It came back with just
    one copy that is already in the c:\windows\system32 folder.

    Regards,

    Seamus
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi Seamus

    If you have a Recovery floppy, then I would imagine there is a hidden
    partition on your hard disk. Have a look through the documentation that
    came with your PC. See if there is any reference to a hidden partition.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Seamus Houghton" <SeamusHoughton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:2CE71662-485B-43D0-9505-338AD47919EF@microsoft.com...
    > Hello Will
    >
    > << Put the XP CD into the cd drive >>
    >
    > My computer came with everything installed. I don't have a CD with XP on
    > it.
    > I have a "Recovery Disc" floppy and a "software" CD that just seems to
    > contain games. Could the contents of the XP CD be stored on my hard drive?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Seamus

Defragment Microsoft Windows XP