urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Is this a good PSU? I've read some good things about it.
I want a very silent PSU with high wattage and ampere (and of course stable). I've understood that Antec and Fortron are quite noisy and I can't find a SilenX (in Finland).

poly4life

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
First of all, Antec PSUs are not noisy at all. Some reviewers will test noise by ear or use an instrument. Experiments can have many factors and one has to take into account the sensitivity of instruments and their parameters. One person may test the noise level at 2 meters with some internal fluctuation, while another may test it at 1 meter with a different internal fluctuation. Basically, be careful about what a reviewer says, in reference to noise level. They could be testing it inside the case or outside the case and may or may not reveal that information.

In short, Antec's are not loud. I have an Antec 380 and a fortron 530W. Both are pretty quiet, and they weren't running in a lab with other computers. I read a review comparing the tagan and antec 480's and the tagan is definitely very nice. I need to read more about it, but it doesn't look bad at all. Oh, Fortron PSUs are fantastic.

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I've got a Fortron 350W now and I need to use phones if I want to listen to music without being disturbed by the noise from the PSU :frown: . I've only read that the Antec can be quite noisy, but those review might be wrong of course...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The last system I set up with a Fortron 350W was an Athlon XP2400+ at 2600+ speed on an MSI K7N2G Delta-ILSR and 2 512MB sticks of PC3200. It was quiet, but I had to find the "proper" setting for the fan speed where it wouldn't kick on the thermal override.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>