Missing parts of Windows xp

I purchased my computer used on ebay.It had windows xp already installed. I
had a problem the other day when I was installing an update. It said windows
xp was missing some parts and to reinsert the xp disc, which I don't have. I
went to microsoft to ask for help and they said my computer had a select
liscense agreement or software assurance home use program and that it would
cost $35 for help.Is their any way to fix this problem and find the missing
parts. Thank you for your help.
3 answers Last reply
More about missing parts windows

    The person you bought the system from on eBay owes you the XP CD; ask him or
    her and then complain to the folks at eBay.

    "tweety358" <tweety358@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I purchased my computer used on ebay.It had windows xp already installed. I
    > had a problem the other day when I was installing an update. It said
    > windows
    > xp was missing some parts and to reinsert the xp disc, which I don't have.
    > went to microsoft to ask for help and they said my computer had a select
    > liscense agreement or software assurance home use program and that it
    > would
    > cost $35 for help.Is their any way to fix this problem and find the
    > missing
    > parts. Thank you for your help.

    You may be up the creek, but we need to know more.
    What is the brand of computer? Desktop or laptop?
    Did it come with any documentation from the manufacturer?
    If not, go to the manufacturer's website and download it.
    When you know what the recovery method is (disk or hidden sector) let us
    know all the above and we can move towards a solution to your problem.

    "tweety358" <tweety358@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I purchased my computer used on ebay.It had windows xp already installed.
    > had a problem the other day when I was installing an update. It said
    windows
    > xp was missing some parts and to reinsert the xp disc, which I don't have.
    > went to microsoft to ask for help and they said my computer had a select
    > liscense agreement or software assurance home use program and that it
    would
    > cost $35 for help.Is their any way to fix this problem and find the
    missing
    > parts. Thank you for your help.

    There really isn't much you can do without the CD.

    The only option would be to purchase one unless you qualify for:
    How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware

    Good Day
    River Rat

    "tweety358" <tweety358@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I purchased my computer used on ebay.It had windows xp already installed. I
    had a problem the other day when I was installing an update. It said windows
    xp was missing some parts and to reinsert the xp disc, which I don't have. I
    went to microsoft to ask for help and they said my computer had a select
    liscense agreement or software assurance home use program and that it would
    cost $35 for help.Is their any way to fix this problem and find the missing
    parts. Thank you for your help.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP