Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bad FPS, need just a video card? Or way more?....

Last response: in Video Games
January 11, 2012 3:27:50 AM

I've been getting super slow framerates in 25man raids (haven't played in a couple years, and before didn't do many 25's). So I've run www.systemrequirementslab.com to see what it says about minimums. And it simply says that my video card doesn't meet the minimum requirements... Well that's easy enough, I can always upgrade that. However.... I know there can be other limitations, and 'bottlenecking', CPU limiting any video card, all that stuff.

So I'm wondering if I simply go with the GTX 460, or Radeon 6850, if that will solve my issues, or if I'll need to mess with some other things.

Here's what I know about my setup, let me know if I am missing something, or if I need to tell you more:

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Model DQ45CB__
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 2331 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. CBQ4510H.86A.0063.2008.1030.1632, 10/30/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Video Card: Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.90 GB
Available Physical Memory 6.00 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.7 GB
Page File Space 7.90 GB
495GB Free Disk Space
No name 400w PSU

I'm an idiot when it comes to finding out things about my own computer.... So I did my best to look around and find out what I had. Thanks in advance, sorry for my naiveness

************Here is a reply that I got on a different forum, and I need another opinion*******

If you go with the 460 GTX you may need to upgrade the power supply unit on your computer. 400 W is pretty low and it usually lowers over time.

And it probably would solve your issues.

********So here is what I replied with******

Will I need to buy a certain type of PSU for my motherboard, or certain compatibility? I was looking at these two

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-371-...

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681717103...

This video card says it's superclocked, which I won't be doing any overclocking, simply because I don't know how to adjust things for that, and I don't feel comfortable messing with things. But the reviews are great, just don't know if it's what I need or is compatible-
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681413075...

This two cards seem like they would do the job, I just don't know that they are compatible with my setup. I would love other suggestions, or if one is steadily better than the other for reasons not apparent to me. Any help would be extremely appreciated...Thanks you

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681412541...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/270878571190?var=lv&ltyp=A...

More about : bad fps video card

January 11, 2012 3:55:53 AM

go with the GTX 460 i have a very bad experience with radeons and there drivers
Score
January 11, 2012 4:23:59 AM

Well, I planned on it, unless there is something better for a comparable price, or as good for cheaper OR something that will do what I need it to do for cheaper.

But are they compatible, is the rest of the setup good enough to run great with a better video card and PSU, is all I really need to do is upgrade the video card, or do I NEED a different PSU?
Score
Related resources
January 11, 2012 5:12:23 AM

What game is it that you play? World of Warcraft? If so then a GTX 460 is way too much, you can play that game on ultra with a GTS450 easily, that game's main use is the processor. So get a graphics card but overclock your processor. You will see much higher framerates.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 6:27:18 AM

its a shame you have the q8200 i think if i remeber rite its the only cpu in the q8 range that cant be overclocked or if it can it cant get more than 300mhz which by most standards is pretty poor.
the 460 will be ok for most games and maxing out a few isnt beyond it. but really the cpu will need an upgrade sooner or later... for now thaugh a new gfx card would be the way to go. and as i say theres not much that the 460 cant handle. so is a good choice... the good thing about that card is its very mid range so will work well on low end cpu's even with cpu killers like gta 4.

just remember your psu you will need a minimum of 450w with 28a on at least 1 of the 12v lines. saying that the psu's you have marked out are overkill... you only want 700+ if your gonna run sli. 450w-550w on a reputable brand will be more than enough. and will cost about half that of a decent 750w

Score
January 11, 2012 2:44:33 PM

Yes it is world of warcraft, thanks for the info on the gts450, I'll look into that. However, I don't have a clue how to overclock. I'm sure I can find guides somewhere, but this computer is being turned into just a secondary computer for warcraft for my kids. Is it worth going through the trouble of overclocking, or is it easy enough that I can do it and save the trouble of upgrading the cpu for a while?

Will also look into a smaller psu, thanks for that info. I'm trying to do as little possible to this computer now, to turn it into a decent backup family gamer, as I have a computer being built for myself, but I would like this computer to be able to handle 25man raids and such for the kids.
Score

Best solution

January 11, 2012 10:23:15 PM

Yeah i play wow on my GTS450 at max settings it runs like a dream, even my friend who has a Asus GTS250 runs it at max, World of Warcraft is a cpu game exspecially in raids. My friend had very bad framerates while raiding but 50+fps while starting nerd wars in chat in Orgrimmar. He upgraded from a Core2Duo to a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T and he now has 55-60fps while raiding 25man's. I on the other hand get slow framerates while raiding as i only have a Dual core and a bad one at that lol

Upgrading the cpu would be a good idea, then you wouldn't need to overclock the one you have now, i suggest a 3.0Ghz+ Quad Core.

So on the short, get a video card, but not an overly expensive one, and then get a 3.0Ghz+ Quad Core cpu

Hope this helps :) 
January 11, 2012 10:44:30 PM

But when upgrading the cpu, don't I have to re-buy windows 7, an its a viciousd upgrade a bunch of other components to make that work as well? Its a vicious cycle...
Score
January 11, 2012 11:04:33 PM

once you own windows, you don't need to buy it again. You might have activated it again, though. But that's about it.

You could check what CPU your motherboard supports and see if there is anything better you can throw at it and that's worth spending money on. That way, you might evade buying other components (mainboard).
Score
January 12, 2012 12:04:39 AM

A 6850 will blow out of the water a GTX 460. I'm not saying that the GTX 460 is a Bad Card but it's more comparable to a 6770 or a 6790. If i were you i would go for the 6850 instead.
Score
January 12, 2012 2:26:35 AM

xxyougotownedzz said:
A 6850 will blow out of the water a GTX 460. I'm not saying that the GTX 460 is a Bad Card but it's more comparable to a 6770 or a 6790. If i were you i would go for the 6850 instead.

Ummm... with all due respect, have you not read anything that's been posted on here yet? I can get the best video card in the world, but my cpu, and psu won't handle it... I'm trying to upgrade my psu and video card to get the most performance that my other components will allow. Cpu upgrade is even something that I'm back and forth on, simply because of cost. What is going to give me most performance? A cpu? No..because its limited by my power supply and vid card. A vid card? no, because its limited by my psu... see what's going on here?
Score
January 12, 2012 3:20:35 AM

I'm also now getting a lot of people saying that I should just go with the GTS450, seen here, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... as it should be more than enough of what I need. Then go with a lesser psu than that 750. This one is quite a bit cheaper, and for a decent price as well, still 650w, more than enough. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . I just want to make sure that my PSU will still be enough to get the most (as much as I need for warcraft) from these products. I really don't want to upgrade vid card, and psu, if my cpu simply isn't enough.. if it IS enough...then I'm happy. I don't know how to overclock, so I don't know that I want to push my cpu more to get just that much more performance while sacrficing the stability of my computer.... any thoughts? Thank you for the help.
Score
January 19, 2012 12:42:25 PM

Best answer selected by JackoDaddy5.
Score
!