New Compaq - No Restoration/OS CD?????

Bought a new Compaq Presario last month and because of some problems, I am
told I need to do a complete Restoration. Problem is, I never got any
Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????

Got the system at Orifice Depot.

Regards and thanks in advance....
LS
21 answers Last reply
More about compaq restoration

    Many new Presarios do not have them. If yours came with a CD/DVD burner, it
    likely has software to create your own Restore CDs/DVDs. Shoulda done that
    first thing. You might call Compaq support. They may have a Recovery CD for
    your Presario which will work with the Restore Partition (Presario_RP).
    HH

    "LS" <NoSpam@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message
    > Bought a new Compaq Presario last month and because of some problems, I am
    > told I need to do a complete Restoration. Problem is, I never got any
    > Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????
    >
    > Got the system at Orifice Depot.
    >
    > Regards and thanks in advance....
    > LS

    That comment doesn't even make sense. All computers come with either
    restore cd's and the OS CD or at least restore CD's. To say that they dont
    is just a lie.

    Dude, call Compaq and get you some CD's! I just bought one and it came with
    both restore and OS.

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Many new Presarios do not have them. If yours came with a CD/DVD burner,
    it
    > likely has software to create your own Restore CDs/DVDs. Shoulda done that
    > first thing. You might call Compaq support. They may have a Recovery CD
    for
    > your Presario which will work with the Restore Partition (Presario_RP).
    > HH
    >
    > "LS" <NoSpam@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message
    > > Bought a new Compaq Presario last month and because of some problems, I
    am
    > > told I need to do a complete Restoration. Problem is, I never got any
    > > Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????
    > >
    > > Got the system at Orifice Depot.
    > >
    > > Regards and thanks in advance....
    > > LS

    Not a lie. Some do, some don't.

    "Sseaott" <Sseaott@askme.com> wrote in message
    > That comment doesn't even make sense. All computers come with either
    > restore cd's and the OS CD or at least restore CD's. To say that they
    dont
    > is just a lie.
    >
    > Dude, call Compaq and get you some CD's! I just bought one and it came
    with
    > both restore and OS.
    >

    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Many new Presarios do not have them. If yours came with a CD/DVD burner,
    > it
    > > likely has software to create your own Restore CDs/DVDs. Shoulda done
    that
    > > first thing. You might call Compaq support. They may have a Recovery CD
    > for
    > > your Presario which will work with the Restore Partition (Presario_RP).
    > > HH
    > >
    > > "LS" <NoSpam@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message
    > > > Bought a new Compaq Presario last month and because of some problems,
    > am
    > > > told I need to do a complete Restoration. Problem is, I never got
    any
    > > > Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????
    > > >
    > > > Got the system at Orifice Depot.
    > > >
    > > > Regards and thanks in advance....
    > > > LS

    Au Contrare, my friend. What I said is absolutely the truth, and I have a
    new Presario S5200CL to prove it. It's wise to have your facts straight
    before calling someone a liar. Moron.
    HH

    "Sseaott" <Sseaott@askme.com> wrote in message
    > That comment doesn't even make sense. All computers come with either
    > restore cd's and the OS CD or at least restore CD's. To say that they
    dont
    > is just a lie.
    >
    > Dude, call Compaq and get you some CD's! I just bought one and it came
    with
    > both restore and OS.
    >

    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Many new Presarios do not have them. If yours came with a CD/DVD burner,
    > it
    > > likely has software to create your own Restore CDs/DVDs. Shoulda done
    that
    > > first thing. You might call Compaq support. They may have a Recovery CD
    > for
    > > your Presario which will work with the Restore Partition (Presario_RP).
    > > HH
    > >
    > > "LS" <NoSpam@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message
    > > > Bought a new Compaq Presario last month and because of some problems,
    > am
    > > > told I need to do a complete Restoration. Problem is, I never got
    any
    > > > Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????
    > > >
    > > > Got the system at Orifice Depot.
    > > >
    > > > Regards and thanks in advance....
    > > > LS

    Oh, Almost forgot.....<Plonk>
    HH

    > Au Contrare, my friend. What I said is absolutely the truth, and I have a
    > new Presario S5200CL to prove it. It's wise to have your facts straight
    > before calling someone a liar. Moron.
    > HH
    >
    > "Sseaott" <Sseaott@askme.com> wrote in message
    > > That comment doesn't even make sense. All computers come with either
    > > restore cd's and the OS CD or at least restore CD's. To say that they
    > dont
    > > is just a lie.
    > >
    > > Dude, call Compaq and get you some CD's! I just bought one and it came
    > with
    > > both restore and OS.
    > >

    > > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Many new Presarios do not have them. If yours came with a CD/DVD
    burner,
    > > it
    > > > likely has software to create your own Restore CDs/DVDs. Shoulda done
    > that
    > > > first thing. You might call Compaq support. They may have a Recovery
    CD
    > > for
    > > > your Presario which will work with the Restore Partition
    (Presario_RP).
    > > > HH
    > > >
    > > > "LS" <NoSpam@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message
    > > am
    > any

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    In news:XR7Ec.4682$lh4.4598@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net,
    David <tonka@flashmail.com> opined:
    > Not a lie. Some do, some don't.

    True---- my s3190UK came without any OS CD, had to use 6 CDs to burn off
    my back up OS discs ---But it does work
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    I love your sense of absolute.

    Too bad you're wrong.

    Even my Compaq Armada 4141T from 1996 didn't come with any disks.

    You had to create 35 floppies!

    "Sseaott" <Sseaott@askme.com> wrote in message
    > That comment doesn't even make sense. All computers come with either
    > restore cd's and the OS CD or at least restore CD's. To say that they
    dont
    > is just a lie.
    >
    > Dude, call Compaq and get you some CD's! I just bought one and it came
    with
    > both restore and OS.
    >

    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Many new Presarios do not have them. If yours came with a CD/DVD burner,
    > it
    > > likely has software to create your own Restore CDs/DVDs. Shoulda done
    that
    > > first thing. You might call Compaq support. They may have a Recovery CD
    > for
    > > your Presario which will work with the Restore Partition (Presario_RP).
    > > HH
    > >
    > > "LS" <NoSpam@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message
    > > > Bought a new Compaq Presario last month and because of some problems,
    > am
    > > > told I need to do a complete Restoration. Problem is, I never got
    any
    > > > Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????
    > > >
    > > > Got the system at Orifice Depot.
    > > >
    > > > Regards and thanks in advance....
    > > > LS

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, "LS" wrote:

    >Bought a new Compaq Presario last month and because of some problems, I am
    >told I need to do a complete Restoration. Problem is, I never got any
    >Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????

    My experience is pre-HP, but Compaq sent me Restore CDs when they sent
    me a new HD under warranty. You should be able to get them from
    Compaq, presumably at no cost, since your computer is only a month
    old...
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Sorry, Tom. I have to ask. Did you?
    HH

    > I love your sense of absolute.
    >
    > Too bad you're wrong.
    >
    > Even my Compaq Armada 4141T from 1996 didn't come with any disks.
    >
    > You had to create 35 floppies!
    >

    > "Sseaott" <Sseaott@askme.com> wrote in message
    > > That comment doesn't even make sense. All computers come with either
    > > restore cd's and the OS CD or at least restore CD's. To say that they
    > dont
    > > is just a lie.
    > >
    > > Dude, call Compaq and get you some CD's! I just bought one and it came
    > with
    > > both restore and OS.
    > >

    > > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Many new Presarios do not have them. If yours came with a CD/DVD
    burner,
    > > it
    > > > likely has software to create your own Restore CDs/DVDs. Shoulda done
    > that
    > > > first thing. You might call Compaq support. They may have a Recovery
    CD
    > > for
    > > > your Presario which will work with the Restore Partition
    (Presario_RP).
    > > > HH
    > > >
    > > > "LS" <NoSpam@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message
    > > am
    > any

  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Sure, didn't have a choice!
    > Sorry, Tom. I have to ask. Did you?
    > HH

    > > I love your sense of absolute.
    > >
    > > Too bad you're wrong.
    > >
    > > Even my Compaq Armada 4141T from 1996 didn't come with any disks.
    > >
    > > You had to create 35 floppies!
    > >

    > > "Sseaott" <Sseaott@askme.com> wrote in message
    > > > That comment doesn't even make sense. All computers come with either
    > > > restore cd's and the OS CD or at least restore CD's. To say that they
    > > dont
    > > > is just a lie.
    > > >
    > > > Dude, call Compaq and get you some CD's! I just bought one and it
    came
    > > with
    > > > both restore and OS.
    > > >

    > > > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > burner,
    > > > it
    > > that
    > CD
    > > > for
    > (Presario_RP).

    > problems,
    > > > am
    > > any

  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    I remember those Armadas well, even though they were commercial laptops and
    we in Consumer ES had no support role there. FYI, remember that Win 98 (or
    was it 95?) also was available on floppies, 29 of 'em!
    HH

    > Sure, didn't have a choice!
    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry, Tom. I have to ask. Did you?
    > > HH
    > >
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > > I love your sense of absolute.
    > > >
    > > > Too bad you're wrong.
    > > >
    > > > Even my Compaq Armada 4141T from 1996 didn't come with any disks.
    > > >
    > > > You had to create 35 floppies!
    > > >

    > > > "Sseaott" <Sseaott@askme.com> wrote in message
    > > > dont

    > came
    > > > with

    > > burner,
    > done
    > > > that
    Recovery
    > > CD
    > > (Presario_RP).

    > > problems,
    > got
    > > > any

  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:25:24 -0500, "LS" <NoSpam@NoWhere.Com> wrote:

    >I never got any
    >Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????

    Hummmm.... I never came up against that situation before. After
    reading all the above replies to your question, it would seem that
    "Maybe" they don't provide them.

    However, I have NEVER, EVER owned a system, either commercial build or
    local build that did NOT come with the original installed OS disk(s)
    and a Restoration/Recovery disk(s). Maybe I have just been lucky but
    I always assumed that it was a given that you get these with a new
    system as I always have gotten them.

    I would say that any computer distributor that doesn't provide such a
    basic set of CD's with a new system should be viewed as a questionable
    supplier of systems. Even Box Builders such as Gateway and Dell
    provide a basic set of CD's to get you back to where you were on the
    first day of your system's life if you need such a recovery done.
    Even the local builders to my community provide you with the original
    OS disk (YOU PAID FOR) and a Restoration Disk(s) to the system they
    just built for you.

    I would close is saying that....... reputable box builders provide
    such sets to the consumers with their new systems. Look at it another
    way.... You got a system under warranty. Something goes wrong and
    all that would be needed to get back to normal is a restoration. By
    not providing you with such a basic thing as a set of restoration/OS
    CDs, the box builder is now going to have to spend time and money
    dealing with a problem under warranty that you could have taken care
    of by yourself if you would have been provided what I suggest is
    normal to reputable box builders, a basic set of recovery disks and a
    copy of the OS you paid for.

    Regards,
    MIL
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Presarios have seldom, if ever, come with ANY operating system discs.
    At one time, all came with QuickRestore CDs (first packaged with a boot
    floppy, then being made bootable themselves), then Compaq stopped including
    them, just including a Recovery CD.
    This CD required the compressed image folders on the hard drive's
    system_sav partition to do a restore.
    Many of the newer models do not even have the Recovery CD, just software
    that allows users to burn their own QuickRestore CDs.
    HH

    "MIL" <spamtrap@spamhell.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:25:24 -0500, "LS" <NoSpam@NoWhere.Com> wrote:
    >
    > >I never got any
    > >Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????
    >
    > Hummmm.... I never came up against that situation before. After
    > reading all the above replies to your question, it would seem that
    > "Maybe" they don't provide them.
    >
    > However, I have NEVER, EVER owned a system, either commercial build or
    > local build that did NOT come with the original installed OS disk(s)
    > and a Restoration/Recovery disk(s). Maybe I have just been lucky but
    > I always assumed that it was a given that you get these with a new
    > system as I always have gotten them.
    >
    > I would say that any computer distributor that doesn't provide such a
    > basic set of CD's with a new system should be viewed as a questionable
    > supplier of systems. Even Box Builders such as Gateway and Dell
    > provide a basic set of CD's to get you back to where you were on the
    > first day of your system's life if you need such a recovery done.
    > Even the local builders to my community provide you with the original
    > OS disk (YOU PAID FOR) and a Restoration Disk(s) to the system they
    > just built for you.
    >
    > I would close is saying that....... reputable box builders provide
    > such sets to the consumers with their new systems. Look at it another
    > way.... You got a system under warranty. Something goes wrong and
    > all that would be needed to get back to normal is a restoration. By
    > not providing you with such a basic thing as a set of restoration/OS
    > CDs, the box builder is now going to have to spend time and money
    > dealing with a problem under warranty that you could have taken care
    > of by yourself if you would have been provided what I suggest is
    > normal to reputable box builders, a basic set of recovery disks and a
    > copy of the OS you paid for.
    >
    > Regards,
    > MIL
  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    MIL wrote:
    I have been asked to look at a 7400 for a friend. This, because of age,
    didn't land in my lap with OS or REstore disks (if it ever had any). I
    did notice that the Win98Se files are stored in c:\windows\options dir.
    There was no setup.exe I am thinking that the 7400 probably came with
    a floppy that initialised a restore/setup via this dir. Does anyone
    know if this is true? Also I can't get it to boot from CD, the bios
    allows for this but I can't get it to happen. Is this something i'm
    missing? The floppy is no longer a virgin and my attempts to try an OEM
    floppy drive failed. I assume your supposed to buy an original spare. I
    don't usually play with propriety systems. Any hints welcomed
  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    hi,
    the internet is full of horror stories or hp and compaq owners without
    true system restore cds . a google search for presario recovery or
    pavilion recovery will bury you in results . if you are a presario or
    pavilion owner i would immediately contact hp/compaq support and
    request your complete recovery disk set before you experience hdd
    problems and find you have to go shopping for an os .
    good luck,
    terry

    ==============
  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    On 5 Jul 2004, terry_b17 <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
    > hi,
    > the internet is full of horror stories or hp and compaq owners without
    > true system restore cds . a google search for presario recovery or
    > pavilion recovery will bury you in results . if you are a presario or
    > pavilion owner i would immediately contact hp/compaq support and
    > request your complete recovery disk set before you experience hdd
    > problems and find you have to go shopping for an os .
    > good luck,
    > terry

    Or if you have CD or DVD writer, you should make the recovery CD's or
    Recovery Tools CD and Recovery DVD before going online at all (to avoid
    being infected by many worms that infect through open ports or insecure
    browser, without even touching e-mail).

    I forget if I did that for XP Home on my HP PC before or after 64-bit XP
    Pro beta corrupted my partition table (changed heads and cylinders), so it
    could not reboot itself or XP Home. But I was lucky enough to fix my
    partition table from a Linux rescue CD, with a bit of guessing, and no
    data loss. So be cautious before even trying any Windows beta versions or
    updates (some people have had some sort of trouble with XP SP2 beta
    updates).

  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    The absence of restore capability did not set well with a number of
    Compaq customers. For a time, it was available if you BOUGHT CD's for
    the purpose. Take a look at--
    http://www.compaqqrsettlement.com

    Some of you may qualify!

    -Mark

    MIL <spamtrap@spamhell.com> wrote in message news:<3a98e09ucglc7cobdll2uegt8thuhbc7fh@4ax.com>...
    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:25:24 -0500, "LS" <NoSpam@NoWhere.Com> wrote:
    >
    > >I never got any
    > >Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????
    >
    > Hummmm.... I never came up against that situation before. After
    > reading all the above replies to your question, it would seem that
    > "Maybe" they don't provide them.
    >
    > However, I have NEVER, EVER owned a system, either commercial build or
    > local build that did NOT come with the original installed OS disk(s)
    > and a Restoration/Recovery disk(s). Maybe I have just been lucky but
    > I always assumed that it was a given that you get these with a new
    > system as I always have gotten them.
    >
    > I would say that any computer distributor that doesn't provide such a
    > basic set of CD's with a new system should be viewed as a questionable
    > supplier of systems. Even Box Builders such as Gateway and Dell
    > provide a basic set of CD's to get you back to where you were on the
    > first day of your system's life if you need such a recovery done.
    > Even the local builders to my community provide you with the original
    > OS disk (YOU PAID FOR) and a Restoration Disk(s) to the system they
    > just built for you.
    >
    > I would close is saying that....... reputable box builders provide
    > such sets to the consumers with their new systems. Look at it another
    > way.... You got a system under warranty. Something goes wrong and
    > all that would be needed to get back to normal is a restoration. By
    > not providing you with such a basic thing as a set of restoration/OS
    > CDs, the box builder is now going to have to spend time and money
    > dealing with a problem under warranty that you could have taken care
    > of by yourself if you would have been provided what I suggest is
    > normal to reputable box builders, a basic set of recovery disks and a
    > copy of the OS you paid for.
    >
    > Regards,
    > MIL
  18. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Or as with my Brother in Laws HP....The restore/OS was tucked away INSIDE
    the case. Yes indeed, very useful when you're trying to fix a problem!!
    And the worst part was if he'd of known and opened his HP...the warranty
    would've been void.

    Hope this helps

    With best regards, TheGarbageGuy. E-mail: t5boss@yahoo(removethis).com
  19. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Wrong! Opening the case has no effect on anny Compaq or HP warranty.
    HH

    "TheGarbageGuy" <t5boss@yahoo(removethis).com> wrote in message
    > Or as with my Brother in Laws HP....The restore/OS was tucked away INSIDE
    > the case. Yes indeed, very useful when you're trying to fix a problem!!
    > And the worst part was if he'd of known and opened his HP...the warranty
    > would've been void.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > With best regards, TheGarbageGuy. E-mail: t5boss@yahoo(removethis).com

  20. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Well Sorry there HH....This is what I was told by the brother-in-law, that
    was told to him by the HP dude that worked on his computer. I guess thats
    why I won't own a HP....Too much misinformation and not enough facts!
    Thanks for the input though....It's much appreaciated!

    With best regards, TheGarbageGuy. E-mail: t5boss@yahoo(removethis).com
  21. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Common misconception. I cannot speak for older HP PCs. But Compaq used to
    put a tape strip seal on the back/side of many of their Presarios, but that
    was just to assure the customer that their PC was, indeed, new. Of course,
    it had to be broken to remove the cover to upgrade RAM, HD, etc., and doing
    so had no effect on the warranty. Of course, the factory warranty would not
    cover hardware added by the user.

    > Well Sorry there HH....This is what I was told by the brother-in-law, that
    > was told to him by the HP dude that worked on his computer. I guess thats
    > why I won't own a HP....Too much misinformation and not enough facts!
    > Thanks for the input though....It's much appreaciated!
    >
    > With best regards, TheGarbageGuy. E-mail: t5boss@yahoo(removethis).com

Compaq Presario CD-Rom Computers