CPU running always at 100% - Why?

Hi, for some reason ny CPU is running at 100% all the time and it's driving
me crazy because I can't find what is wrong with it. Even when it's just
turned on, it's at 100%. It's very slow.

I've run a virus check and all is clear. Does anyone else have any ideas
please?

I have a P3 1ghz, 512MB Ram running WinXP Pro with SP2 installed.

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about running

    Hi Bill,

    If you have Trend AV installed take a look here.
    4/22/05 Windows XP Service Pack 2 machines with critical patches and
    PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to experience high CPU
    utilization after updating to Pattern 594
    http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionId=24264
    Pattern File 2.594.00 may cause high CPU utilization
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/support/pattern594/overview.htm

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Bill wrote:
    > Hi, for some reason ny CPU is running at 100% all the
    > time and it's driving me crazy because I can't find what
    > is wrong with it. Even when it's just turned on, it's at
    > 100%. It's very slow.
    >
    > I've run a virus check and all is clear. Does anyone else
    > have any ideas please?
    >
    > I have a P3 1ghz, 512MB Ram running WinXP Pro with SP2
    > installed.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi Bert,

    I don't have Trend AV installed. but what I have found, is the what has been
    taking up all the resources. It's Spoolsv.exe. Once I remove it, the PC runs
    smoothly. but, when I reboot it, it returns.

    Is there a way to solve this issue?

    Bill

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > If you have Trend AV installed take a look here.
    > 4/22/05 Windows XP Service Pack 2 machines with critical patches and
    > PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to experience high CPU
    > utilization after updating to Pattern 594
    > http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionId=24264
    > Pattern File 2.594.00 may cause high CPU utilization
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/en/support/pattern594/overview.htm
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Bill wrote:
    > > Hi, for some reason ny CPU is running at 100% all the
    > > time and it's driving me crazy because I can't find what
    > > is wrong with it. Even when it's just turned on, it's at
    > > 100%. It's very slow.
    > >
    > > I've run a virus check and all is clear. Does anyone else
    > > have any ideas please?
    > >
    > > I have a P3 1ghz, 512MB Ram running WinXP Pro with SP2
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    That can be a valid printing exe or a backdoor trojan...according to Google.
    Suggest you do some scans for malware/viruses/trojans.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    wrote in message news:B1495955-07FA-4F1D-9DDA-31347C1BFC09@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Bert,
    >
    > I don't have Trend AV installed. but what I have found, is the what has
    > been
    > taking up all the resources. It's Spoolsv.exe. Once I remove it, the PC
    > runs
    > smoothly. but, when I reboot it, it returns.
    >
    > Is there a way to solve this issue?
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Bill,
    >>
    >> If you have Trend AV installed take a look here.
    >> 4/22/05 Windows XP Service Pack 2 machines with critical patches and
    >> PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to experience high CPU
    >> utilization after updating to Pattern 594
    >> http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionId=24264
    >> Pattern File 2.594.00 may cause high CPU utilization
    >> http://www.trendmicro.com/en/support/pattern594/overview.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> Bill wrote:
    >> > Hi, for some reason ny CPU is running at 100% all the
    >> > time and it's driving me crazy because I can't find what
    >> > is wrong with it. Even when it's just turned on, it's at
    >> > 100%. It's very slow.
    >> >
    >> > I've run a virus check and all is clear. Does anyone else
    >> > have any ideas please?
    >> >
    >> > I have a P3 1ghz, 512MB Ram running WinXP Pro with SP2
    >> > installed.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.

    Hi Bill,

    What is the make and model of the printer? You may want to check the
    manufactures web site for issues with spoolvs.exe.

    Is the printer using the print driver from XP or the driver from the
    manufacturer?

    --

    mrbillf77@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Bert,
    >
    > I don't have Trend AV installed. but what I have found,
    > is the what has been taking up all the resources. It's
    > Spoolsv.exe. Once I remove it, the PC runs smoothly. but,
    > when I reboot it, it returns.
    >
    > Is there a way to solve this issue?
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Bill,
    >>
    >> If you have Trend AV installed take a look here.
    >> 4/22/05 Windows XP Service Pack 2 machines with critical
    >> patches and PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to
    >> experience high CPU utilization after updating to
    >> Pattern 594
    >> http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionId=24264
    >> Pattern File 2.594.00 may cause high CPU utilization
    >> http://www.trendmicro.com/en/support/pattern594/overview.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> Bill wrote:
    >>> Hi, for some reason ny CPU is running at 100% all the
    >>> time and it's driving me crazy because I can't find what
    >>> is wrong with it. Even when it's just turned on, it's at
    >>> 100%. It's very slow.
    >>>
    >>> I've run a virus check and all is clear. Does anyone
    >>> else have any ideas please?
    >>>
    >>> I have a P3 1ghz, 512MB Ram running WinXP Pro with SP2
    >>> installed.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

CPUs Microsoft Windows XP