CPU running always at 100% - Why?

bill

Hi, for some reason ny CPU is running at 100% all the time and it's driving
me crazy because I can't find what is wrong with it. Even when it's just
turned on, it's at 100%. It's very slow.

I've run a virus check and all is clear. Does anyone else have any ideas
please?

I have a P3 1ghz, 512MB Ram running WinXP Pro with SP2 installed.

Thanks.

Hi Bill,

If you have Trend AV installed take a look here.
4/22/05 Windows XP Service Pack 2 machines with critical patches and
PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to experience high CPU
utilization after updating to Pattern 594
http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionId=24264
Pattern File 2.594.00 may cause high CPU utilization
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/support/pattern594/overview.htm

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Bill wrote:
> Hi, for some reason ny CPU is running at 100% all the
> time and it's driving me crazy because I can't find what
> is wrong with it. Even when it's just turned on, it's at
> 100%. It's very slow.
>
> I've run a virus check and all is clear. Does anyone else
> have any ideas please?
>
> I have a P3 1ghz, 512MB Ram running WinXP Pro with SP2
> installed.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Bert,

I don't have Trend AV installed. but what I have found, is the what has been
taking up all the resources. It's Spoolsv.exe. Once I remove it, the PC runs
smoothly. but, when I reboot it, it returns.

Is there a way to solve this issue?

Bill

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> If you have Trend AV installed take a look here.
> 4/22/05 Windows XP Service Pack 2 machines with critical patches and
> PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to experience high CPU
> utilization after updating to Pattern 594
> http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionId=24264
> Pattern File 2.594.00 may cause high CPU utilization
> http://www.trendmicro.com/en/support/pattern594/overview.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Bill wrote:
> > Hi, for some reason ny CPU is running at 100% all the
> > time and it's driving me crazy because I can't find what
> > is wrong with it. Even when it's just turned on, it's at
> > 100%. It's very slow.
> >
> > I've run a virus check and all is clear. Does anyone else
> > have any ideas please?
> >
> > I have a P3 1ghz, 512MB Ram running WinXP Pro with SP2
> > installed.
> >
> > Thanks.

peter

That can be a valid printing exe or a backdoor trojan...according to Google.
Suggest you do some scans for malware/viruses/trojans.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
wrote in message news:B1495955-07FA-4F1D-9DDA-31347C1BFC09@microsoft.com...
> Hi Bert,
>
> I don't have Trend AV installed. but what I have found, is the what has
> been
> taking up all the resources. It's Spoolsv.exe. Once I remove it, the PC
> runs
> smoothly. but, when I reboot it, it returns.
>
> Is there a way to solve this issue?
>
> Bill
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> If you have Trend AV installed take a look here.
>> 4/22/05 Windows XP Service Pack 2 machines with critical patches and
>> PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to experience high CPU
>> utilization after updating to Pattern 594
>> http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionId=24264
>> Pattern File 2.594.00 may cause high CPU utilization
>> http://www.trendmicro.com/en/support/pattern594/overview.htm
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Bill wrote:
>> > Hi, for some reason ny CPU is running at 100% all the
>> > time and it's driving me crazy because I can't find what
>> > is wrong with it. Even when it's just turned on, it's at
>> > 100%. It's very slow.
>> >
>> > I've run a virus check and all is clear. Does anyone else
>> > have any ideas please?
>> >
>> > I have a P3 1ghz, 512MB Ram running WinXP Pro with SP2
>> > installed.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Hi Bill,

What is the make and model of the printer? You may want to check the
manufactures web site for issues with spoolvs.exe.

Is the printer using the print driver from XP or the driver from the
manufacturer?