Sign in with
Your question

Wireless router upgrade ideas

Last response: in Video Games
January 11, 2012 4:14:08 PM

I'm hoping for some knowledge on upgrading my Verizon westell 7501 model.

My PS3 is wirelessly connected..it works just always wanted something not standard.. to see if I get any better performance.

Any thoughts on a <$50 range..?

I have very low knowledge of this area. I'm a plug and play here, but I can access the router via IP, and set up some configs.

Thank you-
January 11, 2012 4:39:34 PM

I'm pretty much in the same boat, except my router is from linksys. (it was about $50 back when I purchased it)

you connect to it on a wired connection through IP (unless you allow for wireless access)

I don't think there's much better than you can with in $50 range. The only upgrade that is worth while today is to get the wireless N router, but with only my new laptop being capable of using the band, it's not worth the money for me.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2012 4:11:03 PM

oh yeah, I've heard these are very handy if you don't want to use wireless. Don't know if they got any cons.
m
l
January 12, 2012 4:31:04 PM

Not sure if this helps you out but remember this. The PS3 has a 10/100/1000 Mbps ethernet port and a wireless 802.11 b/g WI-Fi adapter. This means that wireless is limited to 54Mbps MAX. Remember that wireless speed depends on distance and obstructions. The realistic data rate of wireless G is about 20mbps. With that said, the best solution is to connect it with a wired ethernet cable. Wireless also adds latency to the signal, which isn't optimal. I am not that familar with powerline adapters, but I am assuming it would also introduce latency, but the datarate would be higher than wireless.

Another thing to consider is access to the internet would be limited to the bandwidth to your internet connection. Honestly, in the end if it is working for you, why change it? Wireless G has been around a while and as long as your PS3 is not that far or obstructed from your wireless access point, it shouldn't be an issue.
m
l
January 12, 2012 8:21:00 PM

see the funny thing I find about these numbers people give 54mbps and 20 mbps (I've seen anywhere from 10 to 27.5 being stated as "realistic") but the problem is I've never seen a wireless download speed higher than 2mbps, sure speedtest.net might tell me otherwise, but I tend to only care if it's extremely small. If my connection gets rated anywhere above 1500kbps upload you should have little trouble.
m
l
January 13, 2012 12:47:31 PM

AntiZig said:
see the funny thing I find about these numbers people give 54mbps and 20 mbps (I've seen anywhere from 10 to 27.5 being stated as "realistic") but the problem is I've never seen a wireless download speed higher than 2mbps, sure speedtest.net might tell me otherwise, but I tend to only care if it's extremely small. If my connection gets rated anywhere above 1500kbps upload you should have little trouble.

Are you going by 2mbps(megabits per second) or are you actually thinking of 2MBps(megaBytes per second)? When you download files I believe IE and other browsers usually go by MBps. So that can be deceiving. There are 8 bits in a Byte so 2MBps is actually 16mpbs. Some sites will also throttle your download speed to their connection is not saturated by one user.
m
l
January 13, 2012 1:02:03 PM

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my router. I went down the Linksys WRT54GL path.

The wireless coverage seems to be far better then my old netgear dg834g and as I've installed Tomato on it I can boost it even more should I feel the need.

Right now I'm configuring the QoS which if successful should allow me to upload to youtube while gaming online without my ping increasing.
m
l
January 13, 2012 1:06:19 PM

oh right, I tend to forget about semantic, but as far as answering your question. The downloads were coming from steam, I'm not sure what base it uses to measure speed. I would think it's MBps.

So, going by this then wireless connection limit is somewhere around 6.75MBps?
m
l
January 13, 2012 1:15:24 PM

AntiZig said:
oh right, I tend to forget about semantic, but as far as answering your question. The downloads were coming from steam, I'm not sure what base it uses to measure speed. I would think it's MBps.

So, going by this then wireless connection limit is somewhere around 6.75MBps?

You will NEVER see 6.75MBps on a wireless G router. 54mbps is the theoretical MAX. There is quite a bit of overhead in transferring wirelessly. As you should have some form of WPA encryption setup, that add overhead. The wireless packets also add overhead. So when it comes down to it I believe the realistic max flutters around 20mps. I think that also depends on whether it is TCP or UDP traffic. TCP traffic would probably be less than 20mbps. So even at 20mbps that is only 2.5MBps. There you have it, why you don't see more than 2MBps.

BTW, Steam uses MBps. I watched it download about 5 new games I purchased over the holidays.
m
l
January 13, 2012 1:38:27 PM

that sounds about right. Never seen it go above 1.9MBps, and even then it only happens occasionally. At least I know my old router is still working like a champ :) 

Thanks for the info, jay
m
l
January 13, 2012 2:18:05 PM

Sure thing. Those wireless router upgrade usually are driven by your internet connection. A good way to test is connect your machine to the switch portion of the router and test your downloads. Then run it wirelessly. I currently only have a 6mpbs without speedboost Comcast connection so the wireless G really doesn't hinder it. However, a while back I had the 6mbps with speed boost and I was testing with speakeasy.net. My connection on my PC was 22mpbs, and my wireless laptop was only 16mbps. It wasn't a big deal to me, but just an example.

The biggest thing you might see with wireless is response time and latency. Going through another device (wireless access point portion of your router) would introduce more latency. Wireless also depends on distance and obstructions. It may have to resent packets if it is not received. This will probably only be an issue for multiplayer online games if you are a distance or have thick walls between you and your wireless point.
m
l
January 13, 2012 8:53:43 PM

So getting a new wireless router really wont help all that much.. is what it sounds like.

Ill try and figure a way to send a wired cable to the room..

just for your input, this deal came up not too long ago. What should I look for, with my future upgrade if I ever do:

New Egg Special

Thank you also for your time and knowledge.
m
l
January 13, 2012 10:28:33 PM

looks nice, one thing to keep in mind, wireless N requires all devices to be compatible with it in order to work. if you got wireless G devices, then it will run all devices on wireless g. (it can't switch from g to n and back selectively for each device) That's what i've read back when wireless N first appeared on horizon
m
l
!