Repair Install Does Not Come Up

I have XP Pro and SP2 on my PC. When doing a system clean-up, some duplicate
files were deleted and my system crashed.

Our technical person at work had me bring in my PC and ran a cable to it
from a PC running a newer version of XP Pro (with SP2 on the same
installation CD). This got it running, but not well; my HP all-in-one will
scan, but can't read the printer, autochk.exe and Help files don't exist,
etc.)

He said to reinstall, but not run auto recovery but the repair option, then
reinstall SP2. Well, I don't have those options, and my license number, which
is legal, now comes back as invalid. What complicates matters is I don't have
a phone with which to phone MicroSoft. Can someone please help me through
this mess? I'd really appreciate it.

You were running "Disk Cleanup" utility or a 3rd party utility,thier is no
"system
clean-up" in xp.If you have a retail copy of xp,boot to xp cd (configure
this in
BIOS,device boot priority-or similiar),then at info screen select r for
recovery,
press enter for password,then type:CHKDSK C: /R When its thru,type:EXIT
Let xp start up.Chk hp for updates for SP2.In XP,go to run,type:cmd In cmd
type:Sfc /Scannow When the utility starts,install xp cd,exit the info page.

"Woodsprite29" wrote:

> I have XP Pro and SP2 on my PC. When doing a system clean-up, some duplicate
> files were deleted and my system crashed.
>
> Our technical person at work had me bring in my PC and ran a cable to it
> from a PC running a newer version of XP Pro (with SP2 on the same
> installation CD). This got it running, but not well; my HP all-in-one will
> scan, but can't read the printer, autochk.exe and Help files don't exist,
> etc.)
>
> He said to reinstall, but not run auto recovery but the repair option, then
> reinstall SP2. Well, I don't have those options, and my license number, which
> is legal, now comes back as invalid. What complicates matters is I don't have
> a phone with which to phone MicroSoft. Can someone please help me through
> this mess? I'd really appreciate it.

peter

There may be something here that might help:

Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
"Woodsprite29" <Woodsprite29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP Pro and SP2 on my PC. When doing a system clean-up, some
>duplicate
> files were deleted and my system crashed.
>
> Our technical person at work had me bring in my PC and ran a cable to it
> from a PC running a newer version of XP Pro (with SP2 on the same
> installation CD). This got it running, but not well; my HP all-in-one will
> scan, but can't read the printer, autochk.exe and Help files don't exist,
> etc.)
>
> He said to reinstall, but not run auto recovery but the repair option,
> then
> reinstall SP2. Well, I don't have those options, and my license number,
> which
> is legal, now comes back as invalid. What complicates matters is I don't
> have
> a phone with which to phone MicroSoft. Can someone please help me through
> this mess? I'd really appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS