Hitachi Debuts 7,200 RPM 3TB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

qu3becker

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I want cheaper hard drive that can spin faster instead of more storage. Big, "slow" hard drive are cheap. SSD and 10,000 RPM hard drive aren't.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Ooohh...DESKSTAR....not a good name. Old timers will remember IBM once released a hard disk called Deskstar...it was plagued with problems...and eventually it is known as the "DeahStar" ala StarWars. LOL.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]qu3becker[/nom]I want cheaper hard drive that can spin faster instead of more storage. Big, "slow" hard drive are cheap. SSD and 10,000 RPM hard drive aren't.[/citation]

I was reading on another site saying the Hitachi Drive is claiming 170MBps for the 5,400 and 210MBps read/writes for the 7,200 drives. If that article was correct then those would be some of the fastest and largest single drives for consumers. Although I've yet to see a single consumer HDD go above 120MBps steady myself. I'm wondering how they are able to do that given they didn't release that info.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Ooohh...DESKSTAR....not a good name. Old timers will remember IBM once released a hard disk called Deskstar...it was plagued with problems...and eventually it is known as the "DeahStar" ala StarWars. LOL.[/citation]
sheesh, you think Deskstar was bad(Which, yeah it was)..as an employee for a technology recycler, out of the thousands and thousands of harddrives that i see come through every day, nothing is more notorious than the Quantum fireball. Yeah, good luck finding one of those that works.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Looks good. The only thing I worry about is the 5 platter design. More internal parts gives a higher chance to fail. That's why I've purchased a half dozen 2 platter harddrives over the last year.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Ooohh...DESKSTAR....not a good name. Old timers will remember IBM once released a hard disk called Deskstar...it was plagued with problems...and eventually it is known as the "DeahStar" ala StarWars. LOL.[/citation]
Yes, I remember this.. I owned 3 of the IBM Desk Star 60GB's.. guess what happened to all three... dead. lol

G

Speculated $320? I hope not.

Newegg just recently had a major early Black Friday price sweep and a 2TB Samsung drive was on sale for $79.99 (with free shipping). For $320 I could've bought 4 of those 2TB drives for a total of 8 terabytes at about the same price as this 3TB drive.

Even though the Samsung drive is only a 5,400RPM 2TB drive with SATA 3.0GB/s, a 7,200RPM 3TB drive with SATA 6.0GB/s shouldn't cost 4x as much. $220 sounds much more reasonable.

G

Quote: "Linux does not require an EFI BIOS."

Come on, Microsoft. Windows 7 64-bit w/ SP1 should be booting from this drive on a BIOS computer.

How about: Come on Microsoft, a 32 bit Linux install(or a 32 bit Windows Server Data Center Edition install) can properly address 64 GB of ram because it has a proper PAE implentation, why do you force us to upgrade to 64 bit to use more ram on a standard Windows install?

Steelwing

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
[citation][nom]qu3becker[/nom]I want cheaper hard drive that can spin faster instead of more storage. Big, "slow" hard drive are cheap. SSD and 10,000 RPM hard drive aren't.[/citation]

Assuming you have the same number of platters, a larger drive has a greater data density, and therefore more can be read with each rotation. Still, SSDs are the best way to go if you want speed. This 3TB drive is what I'd throw my videos, photos and music on.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]h8sign[/nom]Speculated $320? I hope not.Newegg just recently had a major early Black Friday price sweep and a 2TB Samsung drive was on sale for $79.99 (with free shipping). For $320 I could've bought 4 of those 2TB drives for a total of 8 terabytes at about the same price as this 3TB drive.Even though the Samsung drive is only a 5,400RPM 2TB drive with SATA 3.0GB/s, a 7,200RPM 3TB drive with SATA 6.0GB/s shouldn't cost 4x as much. $220 sounds much more reasonable.[/citation]
not to mention even at 5400 rpm a 4 disk raid 0 array would still be faster than a single 7200 rpm drive

Status
Not open for further replies.