Automatic Update Problems

Hi
Yesterday I had a signal for an automatic update download and install. The
process proceeded to shutdown and restart at which time I noticed that the
update symbol was still in the tray and when selected notified that updates
where ready for installation. When I selected install the installation was
shown as a failure to install; when I checked the installation history screen
it showed a success for the first installation but a failure for all
subsequent tries. The machine has been shutdown over night but the update
symbol is still active in the tray. How do I remove/shutdown this process?
Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about automatic update problems

    In news:D858CA8E-822B-48A6-A3A8-7301975C899F@microsoft.com,
    firewire <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hi
    > Yesterday I had a signal for an automatic update download and
    > install. The process proceeded to shutdown and restart at which time
    > I noticed that the update symbol was still in the tray and when
    > selected notified that updates where ready for installation. When I
    > selected install the installation was shown as a failure to install;
    > when I checked the installation history screen it showed a success
    > for the first installation but a failure for all subsequent tries.
    > The machine has been shutdown over night but the update symbol is
    > still active in the tray. How do I remove/shutdown this process?
    > Thanks.

    I've had this happen here and I don't know if this will work for you or not
    but it's worth a shot. When there's a glitch in the automatic updates
    feature I take a quick trip over to the Windows update site. You can get
    there by clicking Tools > Windows Update in Internet Explorer by the way.
    When I went there and let it scan the Automatic Update notification in the
    system tray disappeared. It's a good idea to go there anyhow as the
    automatic updates only provides updates with a rating of critical and there
    may be other updates there that you'd like as well.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Hi
    Thanks for the info. I have a further question concerning your statement:

    In news:93EE99D5-0F3D-42AC-9C3E-87DFD9C2B0DC@microsoft.com,
    firewire <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hi
    > Thanks for the info. I have a further question concerning your
    > statement: "It's a good idea to go there anyhow as the
    >> automatic updates only provides updates with a rating of critical
    >> and there
    >> may be other updates there that you'd like as well." The updates
    >> that are the subject of this message were: both NVIDIA, one for the
    >> audio codec and one for the audio processing unit; would these be
    >> considered critical? In the past updates that were downloaded stated
    >> that they were critical where as these did not. All very confussing.
    >> Thanks.

    Critical, for the most part, means that it's absolutely essential to the
    continued functioning of your PC safely and without problems to download and
    install the patches. Something like codec problems or an updated driver
    aren't considered critical as the PC will run (perhaps in a limited
    function) without compromise to your data's safety or your computer's
    stability. Something like that at any rate.

    Here's the kicker... This is the bit that I don't actually get entirely.
    Sometimes Automatic Updates will retrieve driver updates which wouldn't,
    when you go to the automatic update site, be considered critical. I say
    sometimes because there's been times in the past where it didn't provide me
    with updates. Perhaps these two updates for your hardware were considered
    important enough? The referrences to this are pretty vague. Here's a quote
    from Kelly's site.

    "Automatic Update checks the Windows Update Web site for critical updates
    and automates the process of downloading and installing the critical
    updates. If updates are not available, this feature is reset, and then it
    checks again in 24 hours for any new updates after the Internet connection
    is established. If a download operation is interrupted, this feature resumes
    at a later time when the Internet connection is re-established."

    From: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_update.htm

    So, maybe these updates were considered critical though I'm not really sure
    why they would be. Did you take a trip to the website itself and do the
    updates? Did this process work and is everything back to normal again?

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Hi
    Thanks for the information. The unusual part of this episode is that the
    first go around was successful (and appears so in the history record) but
    when the update process occured the second time it failed. By the way, when I
    checked the update log I found something interesting; it only goes up to
    2004, whats going on here? I deselected the automatic update to: " download
    and notify me" and the next reboot the update sheld was no longer there. I
    don't no for sure but I think that the update was not actually "critical" but
    rather a fluke in the system; which does not happen that often. Thanks.

Microsoft Shutdown Windows XP