afraid to install sp2

my machine running on win xp pro sp1; i have always had on the inform me
when updates are ready to install and download, and have always NOT
installed sp2 (friend told me not to).
since the beggining of april, i have not been informed of any updates ready
to download.
i am still running on sp1. does this have anything to do with it?
should i go to sp2?

Over 180 million Windows XP users have successfully installed SP2.
I suggest you do so at your earliest convenience. Your friend
is not giving you very good advise!

Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

Service Pack Installation Checklist

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"jstech" wrote:

| my machine running on win xp pro sp1; i have always had on the inform me
| when updates are ready to install and download, and have always NOT
| installed sp2 (friend told me not to).
| since the beggining of april, i have not been informed of any updates ready
| to download.
| i am still running on sp1. does this have anything to do with it?
| should i go to sp2?

There's alot of refrence material on SP2 at microsoft,try reading it
first,then
set system restore before you install SP2.SP2 is needed update,the reason(s)
most have problems with it is they fail to do any pre-reading on it before
inst-
alling.Hence,it doesnt operate as SP1 did,then the problems begin,understand
what takes place,know where the resources are for questions after,if any.

"jstech" wrote:

> my machine running on win xp pro sp1; i have always had on the inform me
> when updates are ready to install and download, and have always NOT
> installed sp2 (friend told me not to).
> since the beggining of april, i have not been informed of any updates ready
> to download.
> i am still running on sp1. does this have anything to do with it?
> should i go to sp2?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:e1OYgvDTFHA.336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> had this to say:

> Over 180 million Windows XP users have successfully installed SP2.
> I suggest you do so at your earliest convenience. Your friend
> is not giving you very good advise!
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
>
> Service Pack Installation Checklist
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>

>> my machine running on win xp pro sp1; i have always had on the
>> inform me when updates are ready to install and download, and have
>> always NOT installed sp2 (friend told me not to).
>> since the beggining of april, i have not been informed of any
>> updates ready to download.
>> i am still running on sp1. does this have anything to do with it?
>> should i go to sp2?

Above and beyond what you've been told by Carey, he's an MVP for a reason,
just the basic idea is to make sure that you're 99% (you can never be 100%)
sure that your system is malware free before installing it. Other than that
I can't think of a single instance where I'd not install XP SP2 with one
exception. If you're in a corportate environment and have NOT had the
manpower devoted (then take that up with IT and ask for a large budget) to
ensuring the upgrade to SP2 works then it's not always wise to do so unless
you're prepared to image failing work stations. Other than that there's no
reason (none logical that I can think of) to not install it.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes