Large font system files

Tags:
  • Font
  • Windows XP
April 28, 2005 7:20:03 PM

Running out of room. I have moved/pointed system files like the giant cache
<pagefile.sys> and what not off of the 4+Gig C:D rive of one of older
computers BUT it is still running out of room. A quick check of large files
on the drive came up with <arialuni.ttf>, at nearly 23MB's, and several other
font files <batang> and <simsun>. What the heck are font files doing at this
size?

I also how can one easily optimize XP to install programs on a different
partition/different drive than the OS. Everyone knows it is better to keep
the OS ALONE on it's own drive or drive partition.

More about : large font system files

April 29, 2005 3:37:16 AM

In news:D 4D43018-ED51-4C61-8681-6F2D93E7EECF@microsoft.com,
GoldHorde <GoldHorde@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Running out of room. I have moved/pointed system files like the giant
> cache <pagefile.sys> and what not off of the 4+Gig C:D rive of one of
> older computers BUT it is still running out of room. A quick check of
> large files on the drive came up with <arialuni.ttf>, at nearly
> 23MB's, and several other font files <batang> and <simsun>. What the
> heck are font files doing at this size?
>
> I also how can one easily optimize XP to install programs on a
> different partition/different drive than the OS. Everyone knows it is
> better to keep the OS ALONE on it's own drive or drive partition.

Two things. The first is I know that XP requires some fonts to work
properly. I don't know which. I really don't...

Second:

Book Excerpt from PC Magazine: Making Windows XP Start Faster:

That will tell you how to delete them. I'd go ahead and get rid of anything
bulky for the most part and should there be a problem you can always
re-install them at a later point. There's only a few which are REQUIRED and
other than those you should be all set. Maybe someone knows which ones are
needed in order to work and with what languages. I had a list at one point
IIRC but I can't seem to find it on my PC nor on Google.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:37:17 AM

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:D 4D43018-ED51-4C61-8681-6F2D93E7EECF@microsoft.com,
> GoldHorde <GoldHorde@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Running out of room. I have moved/pointed system files like the giant
> > cache <pagefile.sys> and what not off of the 4+Gig C:D rive of one of
> > older computers BUT it is still running out of room. A quick check of
> > large files on the drive came up with <arialuni.ttf>, at nearly
> > 23MB's, and several other font files <batang> and <simsun>. What the
> > heck are font files doing at this size?
> >
> > I also how can one easily optimize XP to install programs on a
> > different partition/different drive than the OS. Everyone knows it is
> > better to keep the OS ALONE on it's own drive or drive partition.
>
> Two things. The first is I know that XP requires some fonts to work
> properly. I don't know which. I really don't...
>
> Second:
>
> Book Excerpt from PC Magazine: Making Windows XP Start Faster:
>
> That will tell you how to delete them. I'd go ahead and get rid of anything
> bulky for the most part and should there be a problem you can always
> re-install them at a later point. There's only a few which are REQUIRED and
> other than those you should be all set. Maybe someone knows which ones are
> needed in order to work and with what languages. I had a list at one point
> IIRC but I can't seem to find it on my PC nor on Google.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Thanks Galen, I've actually done that - but as a graphics business we need
fonts loaded. The puzzeling thing is that fonts are usually 1 or 2 MB's in
size NOT 15-23MB's.
April 29, 2005 6:29:59 PM

It a full unicode set.

"GoldHorde" <GoldHorde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7FE6737C-98AB-4252-AE9E-996C4813F8AD@microsoft.com...

> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:D 4D43018-ED51-4C61-8681-6F2D93E7EECF@microsoft.com,
>> GoldHorde <GoldHorde@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> > Running out of room. I have moved/pointed system files like the giant
>> > cache <pagefile.sys> and what not off of the 4+Gig C:D rive of one of
>> > older computers BUT it is still running out of room. A quick check of
>> > large files on the drive came up with <arialuni.ttf>, at nearly
>> > 23MB's, and several other font files <batang> and <simsun>. What the
>> > heck are font files doing at this size?
>> >
>> > I also how can one easily optimize XP to install programs on a
>> > different partition/different drive than the OS. Everyone knows it is
>> > better to keep the OS ALONE on it's own drive or drive partition.
>>
>> Two things. The first is I know that XP requires some fonts to work
>> properly. I don't know which. I really don't...
>>
>> Second:
>>
>> Book Excerpt from PC Magazine: Making Windows XP Start Faster:
>>
>> That will tell you how to delete them. I'd go ahead and get rid of anything
>> bulky for the most part and should there be a problem you can always
>> re-install them at a later point. There's only a few which are REQUIRED and
>> other than those you should be all set. Maybe someone knows which ones are
>> needed in order to work and with what languages. I had a list at one point
>> IIRC but I can't seem to find it on my PC nor on Google.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
>> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
>> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
>> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
>> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
>>

> Thanks Galen, I've actually done that - but as a graphics business we need
> fonts loaded. The puzzeling thing is that fonts are usually 1 or 2 MB's in
> size NOT 15-23MB's.

April 29, 2005 9:52:46 PM

In news:o jiKkQHTFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> had this to say:

> It a full unicode set.

One more thing, as a graphics business in today's world you'll really want a
larger hard drive than a 4 GB drive. Even for the OS... You can get away
with a small drive like that for regular home use if you install all your
other software on other partitions or drives and move the pagefile to
another drive but as a graphics designer you really want a HUGE root drive.
You can get a new harddrive really inexpensively and I'm sure that the time
you save by using it will pay for it in a very short time.

!