Large font system files

Running out of room. I have moved/pointed system files like the giant cache
<pagefile.sys> and what not off of the 4+Gig C:drive of one of older
computers BUT it is still running out of room. A quick check of large files
on the drive came up with <arialuni.ttf>, at nearly 23MB's, and several other
font files <batang> and <simsun>. What the heck are font files doing at this
size?

I also how can one easily optimize XP to install programs on a different
partition/different drive than the OS. Everyone knows it is better to keep
the OS ALONE on it's own drive or drive partition.
4 answers Last reply
More about large font system files

    In news:D4D43018-ED51-4C61-8681-6F2D93E7EECF@microsoft.com,
    GoldHorde <GoldHorde@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Running out of room. I have moved/pointed system files like the giant
    > cache <pagefile.sys> and what not off of the 4+Gig C:drive of one of
    > older computers BUT it is still running out of room. A quick check of
    > large files on the drive came up with <arialuni.ttf>, at nearly
    > 23MB's, and several other font files <batang> and <simsun>. What the
    > heck are font files doing at this size?
    >
    > I also how can one easily optimize XP to install programs on a
    > different partition/different drive than the OS. Everyone knows it is
    > better to keep the OS ALONE on it's own drive or drive partition.

    Two things. The first is I know that XP requires some fonts to work
    properly. I don't know which. I really don't...

    Second:

    Book Excerpt from PC Magazine: Making Windows XP Start Faster:

    That will tell you how to delete them. I'd go ahead and get rid of anything
    bulky for the most part and should there be a problem you can always
    re-install them at a later point. There's only a few which are REQUIRED and
    other than those you should be all set. Maybe someone knows which ones are
    needed in order to work and with what languages. I had a list at one point
    IIRC but I can't seem to find it on my PC nor on Google.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:D4D43018-ED51-4C61-8681-6F2D93E7EECF@microsoft.com,
    > GoldHorde <GoldHorde@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > Running out of room. I have moved/pointed system files like the giant
    > > cache <pagefile.sys> and what not off of the 4+Gig C:drive of one of
    > > older computers BUT it is still running out of room. A quick check of
    > > large files on the drive came up with <arialuni.ttf>, at nearly
    > > 23MB's, and several other font files <batang> and <simsun>. What the
    > > heck are font files doing at this size?
    > >
    > > I also how can one easily optimize XP to install programs on a
    > > different partition/different drive than the OS. Everyone knows it is
    > > better to keep the OS ALONE on it's own drive or drive partition.
    >
    > Two things. The first is I know that XP requires some fonts to work
    > properly. I don't know which. I really don't...
    >
    > Second:
    >
    > Book Excerpt from PC Magazine: Making Windows XP Start Faster:
    >
    > That will tell you how to delete them. I'd go ahead and get rid of anything
    > bulky for the most part and should there be a problem you can always
    > re-install them at a later point. There's only a few which are REQUIRED and
    > other than those you should be all set. Maybe someone knows which ones are
    > needed in order to work and with what languages. I had a list at one point
    > IIRC but I can't seem to find it on my PC nor on Google.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks Galen, I've actually done that - but as a graphics business we need
    fonts loaded. The puzzeling thing is that fonts are usually 1 or 2 MB's in
    size NOT 15-23MB's.

    It a full unicode set.

    "GoldHorde" <GoldHorde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7FE6737C-98AB-4252-AE9E-996C4813F8AD@microsoft.com...

    > "Galen" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:D4D43018-ED51-4C61-8681-6F2D93E7EECF@microsoft.com,
    >> GoldHorde <GoldHorde@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    >> > Running out of room. I have moved/pointed system files like the giant
    >> > cache <pagefile.sys> and what not off of the 4+Gig C:drive of one of
    >> > older computers BUT it is still running out of room. A quick check of
    >> > large files on the drive came up with <arialuni.ttf>, at nearly
    >> > 23MB's, and several other font files <batang> and <simsun>. What the
    >> > heck are font files doing at this size?
    >> >
    >> > I also how can one easily optimize XP to install programs on a
    >> > different partition/different drive than the OS. Everyone knows it is
    >> > better to keep the OS ALONE on it's own drive or drive partition.
    >>
    >> Two things. The first is I know that XP requires some fonts to work
    >> properly. I don't know which. I really don't...
    >>
    >> Second:
    >>
    >> Book Excerpt from PC Magazine: Making Windows XP Start Faster:
    >>
    >> That will tell you how to delete them. I'd go ahead and get rid of anything
    >> bulky for the most part and should there be a problem you can always
    >> re-install them at a later point. There's only a few which are REQUIRED and
    >> other than those you should be all set. Maybe someone knows which ones are
    >> needed in order to work and with what languages. I had a list at one point
    >> IIRC but I can't seem to find it on my PC nor on Google.
    >>
    >> Galen
    >> --
    >>
    >> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    >> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    >> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    >> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    >> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
    >>

    > Thanks Galen, I've actually done that - but as a graphics business we need
    > fonts loaded. The puzzeling thing is that fonts are usually 1 or 2 MB's in
    > size NOT 15-23MB's.

    In news:OjiKkQHTFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    David Candy <.> had this to say:

    > It a full unicode set.

    One more thing, as a graphics business in today's world you'll really want a
    larger hard drive than a 4 GB drive. Even for the OS... You can get away
    with a small drive like that for regular home use if you install all your
    other software on other partitions or drives and move the pagefile to
    another drive but as a graphics designer you really want a HUGE root drive.
    You can get a new harddrive really inexpensively and I'm sure that the time
    you save by using it will pay for it in a very short time.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Font Windows XP