Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Lost System Restore Points

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:02:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
all Restore Points.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:45:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

HMT

You will find the answer in this Microsoft support page..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560&Product=winxp

I am still puzzled as to why you chose this route to install a new program..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm





"HMT" <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A704C7FF-3060-4C1D-A69B-1C445FAED137@microsoft.com...
>I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
> problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
> resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
> Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
> Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
> Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
> all Restore Points.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:24:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Thanks for answering my question Mike. The reason I tried this approach to
install a program was to prevent other programs from loading and interfering
with the installation. For example, Symantec has a Knowledge Base article
that recommends a similar approach to install Norton Internet Security 2005.
I've had to do something similar (msconfig startup tab, ctrl/alt/del with
Win98/95, etc.) several times to get other programs to install cleanly. Is
some other approach preferred with WinXP, like unchecking items in the
Startup Tab, so programs install cleanly?

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> HMT
>
> You will find the answer in this Microsoft support page..
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560&Product=winxp
>
> I am still puzzled as to why you chose this route to install a new program..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>
>
>
>
> "HMT" <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A704C7FF-3060-4C1D-A69B-1C445FAED137@microsoft.com...
> >I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
> > problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
> > resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
> > Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
> > Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
> > Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
> > all Restore Points.
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:18:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Turning off system restore does delete all restore points.

System Restore FAQ:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...


"HMT" <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A704C7FF-3060-4C1D-A69B-1C445FAED137@microsoft.com...
>I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
> problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
> resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
> Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
> Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
> Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
> all Restore Points.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:18:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Of course it does. I said that in my original post. That's not my question.
Also, the article you reference does not address my questions.

"Taurarian" wrote:

> Turning off system restore does delete all restore points.
>
> System Restore FAQ:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...
>
>
> "HMT" <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A704C7FF-3060-4C1D-A69B-1C445FAED137@microsoft.com...
> >I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
> > problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
> > resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
> > Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
> > Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
> > Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
> > all Restore Points.
>
>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:18:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Let me clarify my questions. Is something wrong with my System Restore? Does
running the Diagnostic Startup turn off System Restore?

"HMT" wrote:

> Of course it does. I said that in my original post. That's not my question.
> Also, the article you reference does not address my questions.
>
> "Taurarian" wrote:
>
> > Turning off system restore does delete all restore points.
> >
> > System Restore FAQ:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...
> >
> >
> > "HMT" <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:A704C7FF-3060-4C1D-A69B-1C445FAED137@microsoft.com...
> > >I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
> > > problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
> > > resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
> > > Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
> > > Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
> > > Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
> > > all Restore Points.
> >
> >
!