Lost System Restore Points

I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
all Restore Points.
5 answers Last reply
More about lost system restore points

    HMT

    You will find the answer in this Microsoft support page..

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560&Product=winxp

    I am still puzzled as to why you chose this route to install a new program..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "HMT" <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
    > problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
    > resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
    > Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
    > Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
    > Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
    > all Restore Points.

    Thanks for answering my question Mike. The reason I tried this approach to
    install a program was to prevent other programs from loading and interfering
    with the installation. For example, Symantec has a Knowledge Base article
    that recommends a similar approach to install Norton Internet Security 2005.
    I've had to do something similar (msconfig startup tab, ctrl/alt/del with
    Win98/95, etc.) several times to get other programs to install cleanly. Is
    some other approach preferred with WinXP, like unchecking items in the
    Startup Tab, so programs install cleanly?

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > HMT
    >
    > You will find the answer in this Microsoft support page..
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560&Product=winxp
    >
    > I am still puzzled as to why you chose this route to install a new program..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "HMT" <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
    > > problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
    > > resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
    > > Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
    > > Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
    > > Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
    > > all Restore Points.

    Turning off system restore does delete all restore points.

    System Restore FAQ:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx

    "HMT" <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
    > problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
    > resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
    > Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
    > Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
    > Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
    > all Restore Points.

    Of course it does. I said that in my original post. That's not my question.
    Also, the article you reference does not address my questions.

    "Taurarian" wrote:

    > Turning off system restore does delete all restore points.
    >
    > System Restore FAQ:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx
    >

    > "HMT" <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
    > > problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
    > > resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
    > > Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
    > > Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
    > > Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
    > > all Restore Points.

    Let me clarify my questions. Is something wrong with my System Restore? Does
    running the Diagnostic Startup turn off System Restore?

    "HMT" wrote:

    > Of course it does. I said that in my original post. That's not my question.
    > Also, the article you reference does not address my questions.
    >
    > "Taurarian" wrote:
    >
    > > Turning off system restore does delete all restore points.
    > >
    > > System Restore FAQ:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx
    > >

    > > "HMT" <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I just used msconfig to run a Diagnostic Startup, not because I'm having
    > > > problems with my WinXP Home SP-2, but to install a new program. After
    > > > resetting msconfig back to Normal Startup, I noticed all my System Restore
    > > > Points were gone, except for one System Checkpoint created after Normal
    > > > Startup. Is this normal? Did this happen because when I ran the Diagnostic
    > > > Startup, System Restore was turned off? Turning off System Restore deletes
    > > > all Restore Points.

Microsoft Msconfig System Restore Windows XP