New Privacy Laws and Verizon

Last response: in Network Providers
January 9, 2005 7:25:16 PM

FYI: If your Verizon account is in your spouse's name and you walk into a
Verizon store, YOU ARE A COMPLETE STRANGER. You will not be able to replace
a broken phone, buy a new one, or make any changes to the account. (But you
can still pay the bill, evidently.) My wife is currently incapacitated do
to illness, and I can't do a thing with Verizon. I had no problems in the
past, Verizon is blaming it on the new privacy laws.

--
Bob D.

More about : privacy laws verizon

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:25:17 PM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:25:16 GMT, "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
wrote:

>FYI: If your Verizon account is in your spouse's name and you walk into a
>Verizon store, YOU ARE A COMPLETE STRANGER. You will not be able to replace
>a broken phone, buy a new one, or make any changes to the account. (But you
>can still pay the bill, evidently.) My wife is currently incapacitated do
>to illness, and I can't do a thing with Verizon. I had no problems in the
>past, Verizon is blaming it on the new privacy laws.

I think you'll find this to be the same with most any carrier.
January 9, 2005 7:25:17 PM

xman@thedripper.com wrote:
> This whole "law" or "policy" contradicts itself. Basically no one else
> besides the account holders name can make changes to the account in anyway.
> Well, isn't making a payment making an account change?

No, stupid, it isn't.

Changing an address, adding or removing services, changing plans, those are
account changes.

Of course, if you'd prefer that authorization not be required, you're welcome
to your opinion, but then anyone could screw with your account, potentially
causing problems and costing you a buttload of money.

January 9, 2005 7:25:18 PM

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:25:16 GMT, "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
> wrote:
>

>>FYI: If your Verizon account is in your spouse's name and you walk into a
>>Verizon store, YOU ARE A COMPLETE STRANGER. You will not be able to replace
>>a broken phone, buy a new one, or make any changes to the account. (But you
>>can still pay the bill, evidently.) My wife is currently incapacitated do
>>to illness, and I can't do a thing with Verizon. I had no problems in the
>>past, Verizon is blaming it on the new privacy laws.
>

> I think you'll find this to be the same with most any carrier.

And it's been the same for years. The way around this is, before there is a
problem, for the spouse whose name is on the account to call the service
provider (wireless, utility, whatever) and authorize the other spouse to talk
to the provider. Wifey and I do it on all of our utility accounts, credit card
accounts, and any other accounts where we have to be authorized to talk to the
company. Makes things a LOT easier.

I am very much in favor of companies I do business with not talking to anyone
who either isn't me, or hasn't been previously authorized to make changes to my
account. They don't do it to be jerks; they do it to protect the customer, and
to protect themselves.

Bob: if your wife is able to make a quick phone call, have her call
800-922-0204, talk to a Verizon Wireless customer service rep and give her
authorization for them to deal with you for changes/questions on the account.
The process is quick and painless (I've gone through it before).

And I hope she gets better soon.

January 9, 2005 9:58:20 PM

On 2005-01-09, Evan Platt <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:25:16 GMT, "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
> wrote:
>
>>FYI: If your Verizon account is in your spouse's name and you walk into a
>>Verizon store, YOU ARE A COMPLETE STRANGER. You will not be able to replace
>>a broken phone, buy a new one, or make any changes to the account. (But you
>>can still pay the bill, evidently.) My wife is currently incapacitated do
>>to illness, and I can't do a thing with Verizon. I had no problems in the
>>past, Verizon is blaming it on the new privacy laws.
>
> I think you'll find this to be the same with most any carrier.

With most anything these days. My wife dropped off her ring @ Zales for
repairs, but since I was the one who bought it, and it was my name the
service contract was under, she wasnt allowed to pick it up. i had to go
get it.

--
______ ______
..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32

"Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com> wrote in message
| FYI: If your Verizon account is in your spouse's name and you walk into a
| Verizon store, YOU ARE A COMPLETE STRANGER. You will not be able to
replace
| a broken phone, buy a new one, or make any changes to the account. (But
you
| can still pay the bill, evidently.) My wife is currently incapacitated do
| to illness, and I can't do a thing with Verizon. I had no problems in the
| past, Verizon is blaming it on the new privacy laws.

Do you by chance have a durable power of attorney on file with your wife's
medical providers? While intended for more critical financial matter it
would likely give you the authority to deal with VZN.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:10:51 AM

On 2005-01-10, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
> xman@thedripper.com wrote:
>> This whole "law" or "policy" contradicts itself. Basically no one else
>> besides the account holders name can make changes to the account in anyway.
>> Well, isn't making a payment making an account change?
>
> No, stupid, it isn't.
>
> Changing an address, adding or removing services, changing plans, those are
> account changes.
>
> Of course, if you'd prefer that authorization not be required, you're welcome
> to your opinion, but then anyone could screw with your account, potentially
> causing problems and costing you a buttload of money.

My parents had problems years ago where someone got a carbon of my dads VISA
and promptly went on a spending spree. Tried to have our phones disconnected
and mail rerouted via a "change of address" form, so we'd never get bills or
calls from irate people about us not paying the bills.

They've had our utilities trapped ever since. No changes at all unless they show
up in person at the utilities office and show a drivers license.

Its whats safest for you that the companies have these checks in place. My wife was
all ticked about Zales not giving her her jewelry back from repair even though
she had the claim slip. I dont have a big problem with it. its whats safest.

--
______ ______
..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32

On 2005-01-10, Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
> Explain this- how can a payment result in a negatively impacting change to
> the account, as ooposed to activiating or cancelling units, changing the
> address, or changing the rate plan?
>
> Just more trollish whining.

People don't like to be proven wrong :)

--
______ ______
..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32

eXistenZ32 wrote:
> On 2005-01-10, Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>Explain this- how can a payment result in a negatively impacting change to
>>the account, as ooposed to activiating or cancelling units, changing the
>>address, or changing the rate plan?
>>
>>Just more trollish whining.
>

> People don't like to be proven wrong :)

Apparentley they're trying to discourage the people who are trying to
pay thier bills from actually doing it.

TH
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:29:37 AM

It's not new, it's been going on for at least 2 years (probably longer). I
have two accounts - one is for my daughter at college and I went in and said
I 'wanted to change my daughter's plan' and they told me I couldn't, until
they discovered it was really my account.

She can call and put your name on the account and set levels of access you
are permitted - I did this when daughter needed a new phone and wanted to
pick it up close to her school.

"Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> FYI: If your Verizon account is in your spouse's name and you walk into a
> Verizon store, YOU ARE A COMPLETE STRANGER. You will not be able to
> replace a broken phone, buy a new one, or make any changes to the account.
> (But you can still pay the bill, evidently.) My wife is currently
> incapacitated do to illness, and I can't do a thing with Verizon. I had no
> problems in the past, Verizon is blaming it on the new privacy laws.
>
> --
> Bob D.

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:07:27 PM

Bob D. wrote:
> FYI: If your Verizon account is in your spouse's name and you walk into a
> Verizon store, YOU ARE A COMPLETE STRANGER. You will not be able to replace
> a broken phone, buy a new one, or make any changes to the account. (But you
> can still pay the bill, evidently.) My wife is currently incapacitated do
> to illness, and I can't do a thing with Verizon. I had no problems in the
> past, Verizon is blaming it on the new privacy laws.

But the person on the account can call up CS and have another person
(say, a spouse) added to the list as one authorized to make account
changes. Obviously, there is a problem if the person on the account is
incapacitated before they authorize the other person.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:14:34 PM

Scott Stephenson wrote:
> Explain this- how can a payment result in a negatively impacting change to
> the account, as ooposed to activiating or cancelling units, changing the
> address, or changing the rate plan?

Say they write a check and it bounces and your account has a bad-check
fee, and maybe even a nasty report to a credit bureau. Such fees are not
at all uncommon.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:04:28 PM

Steve,

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve all problems. Say, for instance, you want to change what plan you're on (go from Fam-Share 400 to 800 or sign up for the 100 minute bonus), Verizon still insists on talking to the primary account holder. This is even after the other spouse has been authorized. For whatever reason, Verizon doesn't understand how to set up a joint account (or turn a single account into a joint account). Life would be much easier if they did.

My $.02,
JDB

January 10, 2005 7:04:29 PM

"JDBraun via

| | Unfortunately, that doesn't solve all problems. Say, for instance, you
want to change what plan you're on (go from Fam-Share 400 to 800 or sign up
for the 100 minute bonus), Verizon still insists on talking to the primary
account holder. This is even after the other spouse has been authorized.
For whatever reason, Verizon doesn't understand how to set up a joint
account (or turn a single account into a joint account). Life would be much
easier if they did.

Really what to mess with VZN CS mind? Mention that you live in a community
property state where all debts are considered to belong to both husband and
wife.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:29:33 PM

<xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message
> Who said anything about negative? Why did you just add that to benefit
your
> comment? I find it hard to believe that some people really can't grasp the
> idea that making a payment changes the status of the account regardless
> where the money comes from....hence a CHANGE in the account.
>
> If an account was past due and a payment was made it would most likely be
> current. Is this not a change in the account itself?
>
> Hey, if everyone thinks applying a payment or making a payment to an
account
> doesn't change the account then by all means....go ahead and make some
> payments to mine.

I'd try to make you understand, but all you want to do is bitch and troll
and you're really not that good at it. You can just go back to your bitter
and unfulfilling life now- I am bored with your childish rantings and
uneducated approach.
January 10, 2005 11:39:32 PM

O, so making a payment doesn't change anything on your account? Weird...I
make payments to mortgage company all the time and my account changes all
the time.

sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:39:33 PM

xman@thedripper.com wrote:
> O, so making a payment doesn't change anything on your account? Weird...I
> make payments to mortgage company all the time and my account changes all
> the time.

I have never dealt with any company that considers making a payment an "account
change."

"account changes" typically means changes to services provided, billing info, etc.

**SJS (not sure why I'm still wasting my time with you)

January 11, 2005 2:09:26 AM

Because you love it!

> xman@thedripper.com wrote:
> > O, so making a payment doesn't change anything on your account?
Weird...I
> > make payments to mortgage company all the time and my account changes
all
> > the time.
>
> I have never dealt with any company that considers making a payment an
"account
> change."
>
> "account changes" typically means changes to services provided, billing
info, etc.

> **SJS (not sure why I'm still wasting my time with you)
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
January 11, 2005 2:11:16 AM

My god man, then filter me out! What does it take.
You're like an anti Howard Stern fan, but listens to him all the time. I'll
never understand.

"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> <xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message
> > Who said anything about negative? Why did you just add that to benefit
> your
> > comment? I find it hard to believe that some people really can't grasp
the
> > idea that making a payment changes the status of the account regardless
> > where the money comes from....hence a CHANGE in the account.
> >
> > If an account was past due and a payment was made it would most likely
be
> > current. Is this not a change in the account itself?
> >
> > Hey, if everyone thinks applying a payment or making a payment to an
> account
> > doesn't change the account then by all means....go ahead and make some
> > payments to mine.
> >

> I'd try to make you understand, but all you want to do is bitch and troll
> and you're really not that good at it. You can just go back to your
bitter
> and unfulfilling life now- I am bored with your childish rantings and
> uneducated approach.

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:11:17 AM

> My god man, then filter me out! What does it take.
> You're like an anti Howard Stern fan, but listens to him all the time.
I'll
> never understand.

That would be too easy, and would deprive me of the opportunity to give
thanks daily for having a clue.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:49:14 PM

xman@thedripper.com wrote:
> My god man, then filter me out! What does it take.
> You're like an anti Howard Stern fan, but listens to him all the time. I'll
> never understand.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Howard Stern, I think he should
remain on air. If you don't like that fact -- you don't have to.
There's no law that says you have to listen to Howard Stern, but when
there's a law that says you can't...if I wanted laws like that I'd be a
communist, then the government would make ALL my decisions for me.

TH
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:07:38 PM

I have a solution. I just bought a new phone even though the account is
in my wife's name. I went throuh the wittless staff at Radioshack. I
just needed her social sec num. I am named as being on the account
though
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:57:42 AM

Tropical Haven wrote:

> Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Howard Stern, I think he should
> remain on air. If you don't like that fact -- you don't have to.
> There's no law that says you have to listen to Howard Stern, but when
> there's a law that says you can't...if I wanted laws like that I'd be a
> communist, then the government would make ALL my decisions for me.

Veering wildly offtopic: Howard Stern made the decision to leave Infinity
Broadcasting. He was made an offer by Sirius Satellite Radio and will start his
show there soon. Supposedly a big part of it is that satellite radio doesn't
have the same obscenity rules as broadcast airwaves do, but I am sure he's
getting really good money to move to Sirius too.

He won't be on the airwaves, technically, but he will definitely still have a
show. :)

January 12, 2005 10:30:23 AM

<xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message
> My god man, then filter me out! What does it take.
> You're like an anti Howard Stern fan, but listens to him all the time.
I'll
> never understand.

You "sound" remarkably like the troll who frequented this group last year. I
think he posted using the name "constipated moron"....
January 12, 2005 6:58:40 PM

I love it how far off the topic goes....but hey, it's nice to talk about
anything specially if people are responding.

Stern will be starting Sirius in 2006. He has a 5 year multi-million dollar
contract. His motive was to get as far away from the FCC as possible and
since the FCC doesn't control sat radio, that's the place for Stern. Thank
god there's no FCC censorship on sat radio.

I'll find it hard to pay to listen to sat radio.

My friend had the XM mobile sat unit in his truck, but it sounded pretty
lousy. Static and noise when driving through certain areas. He did have the
wireless one, so that might have been his problem.

> Tropical Haven wrote:
>
> > Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Howard Stern, I think he should
> > remain on air. If you don't like that fact -- you don't have to.
> > There's no law that says you have to listen to Howard Stern, but when
> > there's a law that says you can't...if I wanted laws like that I'd be a
> > communist, then the government would make ALL my decisions for me.
>

> Veering wildly offtopic: Howard Stern made the decision to leave Infinity
> Broadcasting. He was made an offer by Sirius Satellite Radio and will
start his
> show there soon. Supposedly a big part of it is that satellite radio
doesn't
> have the same obscenity rules as broadcast airwaves do, but I am sure he's
> getting really good money to move to Sirius too.
>
> He won't be on the airwaves, technically, but he will definitely still
have a
> show. :)
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:58:41 PM

xman@thedripper.com wrote:
> I love it how far off the topic goes....but hey, it's nice to talk about
> anything specially if people are responding.
>
> Stern will be starting Sirius in 2006. He has a 5 year multi-million dollar
> contract. His motive was to get as far away from the FCC as possible and
> since the FCC doesn't control sat radio, that's the place for Stern. Thank
> god there's no FCC censorship on sat radio.

Thanks, that's basically what I said :p

I even agree with you about satellite radio not being worth the money, but
Stern has an extremely loyal following and I am willing to bet there are a lot
of people who will follow him.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 9:15:09 PM

"Steve Sobol"
<snip>

| I even agree with you about satellite radio not being worth the money, but
| Stern has an extremely loyal following and I am willing to bet there are a
lot
| of people who will follow him.

Think long rides where during the daytime AM radio does not make the trip
even at night the only thing you get is high-power clear channel stations
that fade in and out.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 12:03:20 AM

Not Me wrote:
> "Steve Sobol"
> <snip>
> |
> | I even agree with you about satellite radio not being worth the money, but
> | Stern has an extremely loyal following and I am willing to bet there are a
> lot
> | of people who will follow him.
>
> Think long rides where during the daytime AM radio does not make the trip
> even at night the only thing you get is high-power clear channel stations
> that fade in and out.

Irrelevant. Stern wasn't on AM.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
January 13, 2005 11:28:26 AM

> Irrelevant. Stern wasn't on AM.

Sure he was. I can't say if it is a regional thing but he could always be
found on some station in the NE.

!