How to restore access to a folder set to "Private" under a..

Hi,

I have just bought a new PC and have thus gone from ME to XP. As the PC was
custom-built, the user account wasn't to my liking. So I renamed it and the
user specific start menu items disappeared from the start menu, leaving me
with All Users items only... So I created a new account and copied the Docs
and Settings\Username folders over to preserve my menu, OE folders, desktop
config, etc. Then I restarted and deleted the old account. However, I'd used
TweakUI to redirect My Pictures to my \Acad\work directory so that I could
then set the sharing to Private so that little fingers using the Guest
account couldn't cause havoc, then reset My Pictures to where it belonged.
Only I forgot to un-Private the directory and now I get an Access Denied
message.

So my question is, how do I remove the share permissions from this folder?
I've searched Download.com, et al for an application to bust it open but no
luck. Any tips/URLs would be much appreciated, unless there is a built-in XP
trick to remove the lock? I am getting desperate, as it is work stuff so any
and all advice will be gratefully received...

Regards,

Tom.
3 answers Last reply
More about restore access folder private

    Take Ownership, #9 on this link:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Tom" <tgoldby[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just bought a new PC and have thus gone from ME to XP. As the PC
    > was
    > custom-built, the user account wasn't to my liking. So I renamed it and
    > the
    > user specific start menu items disappeared from the start menu, leaving me
    > with All Users items only... So I created a new account and copied the
    > Docs
    > and Settings\Username folders over to preserve my menu, OE folders,
    > desktop
    > config, etc. Then I restarted and deleted the old account. However, I'd
    > used
    > TweakUI to redirect My Pictures to my \Acad\work directory so that I could
    > then set the sharing to Private so that little fingers using the Guest
    > account couldn't cause havoc, then reset My Pictures to where it belonged.
    > Only I forgot to un-Private the directory and now I get an Access Denied
    > message.
    >
    > So my question is, how do I remove the share permissions from this folder?
    > I've searched Download.com, et al for an application to bust it open but
    > no
    > luck. Any tips/URLs would be much appreciated, unless there is a built-in
    > XP
    > trick to remove the lock? I am getting desperate, as it is work stuff so
    > any
    > and all advice will be gratefully received...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tom.

    To all users: This issue is resolved. Thank you for your attention. However,
    if anyone can tell me how you get shot of that Information Bar in IE, I'd be
    most grateful!

    To Jupiter Jones [MVP]: Many, many thanks, JJ!!! That sorted it... XP is
    great - much more stable than ME but could do with a simpletons "take out the
    big brother nannying hand-holding rhubarb" link in Control Panel! XP is great
    for the novice - intercepts things that could harm them and talks them
    through dealing with it but for "advanced" users (okay - "advanced
    intermediate" in my case!) a bit of "get shot of this annoyance" in checkbox
    form would be nice! However, this is MS's problem, not yours. Thank you again
    for your prompt response - once followed, I was back into all those AutoCAD
    charts. The oil industry breathes again...!!

    For MS feedback: Chaps, on the Help and Support page, I do not want to be
    told I cannot have my 2 free e-support shots because me PID indicates that I
    have OEm version of XP Home. Maybe I asked my OEM and my OEM didn't know the
    answer? Maybe there is a lag between you discovering an issue and you telling
    your registered OEMs how to resolve it if their customers ask? What I'd like
    to see on the page that that says "Your PID says talk to the people who sold
    you the computer" is a checkbox and Continue button next to the legend "My
    OEM is unable to resolve the issue. Click the Continue button to submit your
    question to a Microsoft support technician."

    Muchos gracias,

    Tom.

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Take Ownership, #9 on this link:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "Tom" <tgoldby[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have just bought a new PC and have thus gone from ME to XP. As the PC
    > > was
    > > custom-built, the user account wasn't to my liking. So I renamed it and
    > > the
    > > user specific start menu items disappeared from the start menu, leaving me
    > > with All Users items only... So I created a new account and copied the
    > > Docs
    > > and Settings\Username folders over to preserve my menu, OE folders,
    > > desktop
    > > config, etc. Then I restarted and deleted the old account. However, I'd
    > > used
    > > TweakUI to redirect My Pictures to my \Acad\work directory so that I could
    > > then set the sharing to Private so that little fingers using the Guest
    > > account couldn't cause havoc, then reset My Pictures to where it belonged.
    > > Only I forgot to un-Private the directory and now I get an Access Denied
    > > message.
    > >
    > > So my question is, how do I remove the share permissions from this folder?
    > > I've searched Download.com, et al for an application to bust it open but
    > > no
    > > luck. Any tips/URLs would be much appreciated, unless there is a built-in
    > > XP
    > > trick to remove the lock? I am getting desperate, as it is work stuff so
    > > any
    > > and all advice will be gratefully received...
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Tom.

    Tom;
    You last suggestion sounds OK but really is not.
    Consider OEM as if is it manufactured, distributed and sold by the OEM and
    Microsoft having no part of it.
    The OEM has agreed on behalf of their customers (you) that no support is
    provided by Microsoft.
    You pay considerably less for OEM for this and other reasons.
    Lastly, just about everything is available through Help and Support and on
    Microsoft's website, though it can sometimes be hard to find.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> [...]
    >> > account couldn't cause havoc, then reset My Pictures to where it
    >> > belonged.
    >> > Only I forgot to un-Private the directory and now I get an Access
    >> > Denied
    >> > message.
    >> >
    >> > So my question is, how do I remove the share permissions from this
    >> > folder?
    >> > I've searched Download.com, et al for an application to bust it open
    >> > but
    >> > no
    >> > luck. Any tips/URLs would be much appreciated, unless there is a
    >> > built-in
    >> > XP
    >> > trick to remove the lock? I am getting desperate, as it is work stuff
    >> > so
    >> > any
    >> > and all advice will be gratefully received...

Windows XP