entzor

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2004
I just read the article '13 Barebones Reviewed Are Anything But Square' which I think was very informative - thanks Siggy. The Shuttle XPC SB81P gets excellent ratings for its cooling system and AOpen XC Cube AV (EA65) gets excellent ratings for functionality. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have both...
So, has anyone tried to place the XPC SB81P cooler system or a similar cooling system in the XC Cube AV (EA65), and is this feasible? Is it possible at all to change the cooler in the XC Cube AV (EA65) ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, Barebones systems are NOT necessarily SFF. Tom's wants you to associate the word "Barebones" with cubes because they're trying to promote cubes. The reason they're trying to promote cubes was outlined by Omid Rhamat (former chief editor) at one of his speaches (later outlined in an overview of the event), that is they're trying to promote systems with limited upgrade paths in order to increase the sales of hardware and boost the industry. Nice for the industry, bad for the consumer, they represent the industry, not the consumer!

For a desktop, slim towers are portable and take up less width (they're narrower). For a home theater, slim desktops take up less space and match the width of home theater components better (they're shorter and wider). Both configuration are available in Micro ATX, and can be had with either SFX (a truely standard small form factor) or PS/2 (full sized) ATX power supplies. Micro ATX supports 4 slots (normally 1 AGP and 3 PCI for performance boards), giving you a much wider upgrade path. And Micro ATX is a standard form factor, meaning you don't have to replace the system when the board is outdated (SFF relies on the Flex ATX form factor board, with limited selection).

I know, the cubes "look cool" in that they mimic the look of a $90 Wal-Mart mini home stereo, but there are nice looking Micro ATX cases that look like anything from a metal briefcase to a home theater receiver.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

poly4life

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Actually, there are some cube SFF cases that support microATX mobo's, such as the Antec Aria. I think it's a matter of preference when it comes to these "mini-pc's". Personally, I think cubes make great media centers but not game machines, as upgrading is a you-know-what. However, I would probably take a slimline over a cube.

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I think Doom 3 and half-life 2 are going to galvanize the hardware industry anyway. Several people I know have done major upgrades or just built new systems for these games. Hell, I just built a new system. But that coincided more with financial ability than with need for gaming.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Aria isn't SFF, it's a Micro ATX cube. SFF is Flex-ATX only. SFF doesn't make an ideal HTPC because and ideal one would use at least 2 PCI card. And HTPC goes in an entertainment center, with a Home Theater Receiver, you might as well get the shorter, wider Micro ATX desktop of similar dimensions.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>