[EQ2] Anti-camp Code Heads-up

I haven't seen any posts dedicated to this subject here at a.g.e., so in
case it isn't already common knowledge, I wanted to pass on that there is
evidence of "anti-camp" code. Or rather, anti...well,
anti-grind-in-one-spot code.

I read about it first on the official boards and decided to start paying
attention to my own xp gain. The past 2-3 days I've been "grinding" near
the docks in Enchanted Lands. Partly because we like the specific spot,
and partly because we wanted to see this code for ourselves, we've been
primarily on the klaknok soldiers (^^ group mobs).

What we've consistently seen is that at the beginning of the session, both
the 31 and 32 beetles give us 1.5% per kill. After about 5-6 of these, it
drops to 1.25%. Then after a while 1%, and finally will bottom out at
about .5% per kill. Generally we stop hunting at that point.

When we return the next day, it is back to 1.5% and the same process
repeats itself. We've done this 4 times now, so I'm fairly confident it
isn't a fluke.

I do not know if SOE has stated that this exists officially, but I'm
personally very convinced, and so are many others. (If you don't want to
take my word for it I encourage you to do your own experiments or search
on the official message boards for threads discussing this.)

Point is, if you weren't aware of it already, keep it in mind when seeking
XP. :) Don't assume that you can hunt in the same one spot over and over.
You will in fact get much better xp if you move on after a bit.

I don't know if the code is by geography, spawn point, or creature type,
nor how long it takes to reset, but I do know that staying in spot too
long is deadly to fast xp!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jerelyn Foxeye -- http://www.foxeye-art.com

On Antonia Bayle (EQ):
[29 Iksar Templar] Viizanafyaeth Newleaf
[10 High Elf Brawler] Foxeye

On Order (Horizons):
[10 Monk/Druid Saris] Foxeye

Cheddar wrote:
> As a predator I have to get into position to attack and simply
couldnt get
> one in time. Even when the group were fighting, they had another guy
who
> would attract the spawning crows.

I use to have this problem also (being a pred myself). What I did was
gave up the first 'big' hit and went with a pull move instead. Use
arrows, or the best (because of the range) is Stalk. That will pull
the mob and the groups that are hoarding them won't even know how you
pulled the mob (no visible effects from Stalk). After that, get
Swindler's Luck going, then hit with Cheap Shot. While the mob is
stunned, stop the auto-attack, hit Stalk again, and use a big hit. It
takes some practice to get down (especially if you need to swing behind
him before the stun wears off), but keep at it. Doing that will allow
you to pull, and still beat the badguys even without starting with a
big hit.

Seeing that you are a pred makes the frustration at soloing more
understandable. I can take few reds/yellows (turtles in EL), but more
whites, and then even more blues/greens. It just takes more practice
since going toe-to-toe HURTS. Make sure you work on good techniques,
and are chowing down on good food/drinks (not the vendor or summoned
stuff) that is appropriate to your level.

Pamela Carlton wrote:
> I started doing this last night, it seemed to work well in the group.
> Wounding arrow to pull with no intention of getting a back shot in on
the
> first of a group of mobs due to aggro, but once it had died I was set
then.
> We had a couple of healers in the group so I got to be a tank =)
> Made me giggle about it though, brought back memories of those ranger
jokes.

I'm not sure what the Rangers have as a compliment to these skills, but
there should be something there. We have Survival Instincts which
raises your parry skill while dropping your attack speed and Lethal
Resolve which raises your parry, strength and something else (dodge
maybe?) while decreasing attack speed even more (and they stack). I
fire those off and then Bleeder's Talent (attack speed and agility
buff) and Friendly Shadows (agility buff - might be more included). I
tend to dodge and parry quite a bit, but things that hit (especially
the specials like Wild Swing and Barrage) tend to hurt a LOT.

I have a few sayings in those situations... "Puddle with a tail
incoming!" and if I survive "Me getting aggro makes healers cry". It
also tends to make the rest of the group nervous, since the vast
majority of my damage is dealt from behind If I am trying to dump
aggro I will actually turn off auto-attack to try to lose aggro faster
and increase my parry/dodge chances (thus killing any damage I do
outside of riposte).

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:

> I haven't seen any posts dedicated to this subject here at a.g.e., so in
> case it isn't already common knowledge, I wanted to pass on that there is
> evidence of "anti-camp" code. Or rather, anti...well,
> anti-grind-in-one-spot code.

<snip>

Or maybe it isn't in fact anti-grinding code, but...a bonus like DAOC has?

*mull*

But no, it isn't a two-step process. It just keeps going down, down,
down...and it sounds like what DAOC has is a "normal" rate and a "bonus"
rate. Can anyone comment?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:
>

>> I haven't seen any posts dedicated to this subject here at a.g.e., so
>> in case it isn't already common knowledge, I wanted to pass on that
>> there is evidence of "anti-camp" code. Or rather, anti...well,
>> anti-grind-in-one-spot code.
>
> <snip>
>
> Or maybe it isn't in fact anti-grinding code, but...a bonus like DAOC
> has?
>
> *mull*
>
> But no, it isn't a two-step process. It just keeps going down, down,
> down...and it sounds like what DAOC has is a "normal" rate and a
> "bonus" rate. Can anyone comment?

What is the functional difference? In both cases, you get more xp the
first few times until the xp bottoms out at some level (whether you call
that the normal level i.e. bonus gone, or you call it the reduced level).
How would you even be able to tell the difference between the two
methods?

For example, assume a mob gives 100xp normally, and the bonus is 100xp
for the bonus method. First kill you get 200xp, gradually reduces after
that down to 100xp.

Next, assume the normal xp for the mob is 200xp, and the antigrind
reduced xp is 100xp. First kill you get 200xp, gradually reduces after
that down to 100xp.

In both cases, the first kill you get the same xp, and after X kills, you
get the same reduced xp, just a question of how you want to label it and
how it's actually implemented internally.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

> But no, it isn't a two-step process. It just keeps going down, down,
> down...and it sounds like what DAOC has is a "normal" rate and a "bonus"
> rate. Can anyone comment?

If it's true then well done SoE.

I was playing a few hours ago and was wandering by the scarecrow field in
Antonica. I thought i'd give a scarecrow a go but to my annoyance all I
couldnt. There were three groups running around, as soon as a scarecrow
appeared the tank taunted and got him. This was happening all the time.

As a predator I have to get into position to attack and simply couldnt get
one in time. Even when the group were fighting, they had another guy who
would attract the spawning crows.

After 15 minutes I gave up. I dont mind people camping for a short while but
somepeople are just taking the piss. I came across one group before that did
10 hours straight on the scarecrows!

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Graeme Faelban wrote:

> Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote in
>

> > On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:
> >

> >> I haven't seen any posts dedicated to this subject here at a.g.e., so
> >> in case it isn't already common knowledge, I wanted to pass on that
> >> there is evidence of "anti-camp" code. Or rather, anti...well,
> >> anti-grind-in-one-spot code.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Or maybe it isn't in fact anti-grinding code, but...a bonus like DAOC
> > has?
> >
> > *mull*
> >
> > But no, it isn't a two-step process. It just keeps going down, down,
> > down...and it sounds like what DAOC has is a "normal" rate and a
> > "bonus" rate. Can anyone comment?
> >

> What is the functional difference?

None, really, just a half-full, half-empty situation. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Meaffwin" <suka_@cox.net> wrote in message
> Cheddar wrote:
> > As a predator I have to get into position to attack and simply
> couldnt get
> > one in time. Even when the group were fighting, they had another guy
> who
> > would attract the spawning crows.
>
> I use to have this problem also (being a pred myself). What I did was
> gave up the first 'big' hit and went with a pull move instead. Use
> arrows, or the best (because of the range) is Stalk. That will pull
> the mob and the groups that are hoarding them won't even know how you
> pulled the mob (no visible effects from Stalk). After that, get
> Swindler's Luck going, then hit with Cheap Shot. While the mob is
> stunned, stop the auto-attack, hit Stalk again, and use a big hit. It
> takes some practice to get down (especially if you need to swing behind
> him before the stun wears off), but keep at it. Doing that will allow
> you to pull, and still beat the badguys even without starting with a
> big hit.
>
> Seeing that you are a pred makes the frustration at soloing more
> understandable. I can take few reds/yellows (turtles in EL), but more
> whites, and then even more blues/greens. It just takes more practice
> since going toe-to-toe HURTS. Make sure you work on good techniques,
> and are chowing down on good food/drinks (not the vendor or summoned
> stuff) that is appropriate to your level.

I started doing this last night, it seemed to work well in the group.
Wounding arrow to pull with no intention of getting a back shot in on the
first of a group of mobs due to aggro, but once it had died I was set then.
We had a couple of healers in the group so I got to be a tank =)
Made me giggle about it though, brought back memories of those ranger jokes.

--
eq2.najena.Simonette
eq2.najena.Floriana

"Foxeye Vaeltaja" <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote in message

> I haven't seen any posts dedicated to this subject here at a.g.e., so in
> case it isn't already common knowledge, I wanted to pass on that there is
> evidence of "anti-camp" code. Or rather, anti...well,
> anti-grind-in-one-spot code.
>
> I read about it first on the official boards and decided to start paying
> attention to my own xp gain. The past 2-3 days I've been "grinding" near
> the docks in Enchanted Lands. Partly because we like the specific spot,
> and partly because we wanted to see this code for ourselves, we've been
> primarily on the klaknok soldiers (^^ group mobs).
>
> What we've consistently seen is that at the beginning of the session, both
> the 31 and 32 beetles give us 1.5% per kill. After about 5-6 of these, it
> drops to 1.25%. Then after a while 1%, and finally will bottom out at
> about .5% per kill. Generally we stop hunting at that point.
>
> When we return the next day, it is back to 1.5% and the same process
> repeats itself. We've done this 4 times now, so I'm fairly confident it
> isn't a fluke.
>
> I do not know if SOE has stated that this exists officially, but I'm
> personally very convinced, and so are many others. (If you don't want to
> take my word for it I encourage you to do your own experiments or search
> on the official message boards for threads discussing this.)

I was reading about this too, if it is in existence even unofficially that
would be great.
We were fighting the TS crows last night, xp was good at the start and did
start to slow down so we moved onto the briars.
I wasn't sure if it was the coding or that we had our act together on the
night ;)

--
eq2.najena.Simonette
eq2.najena.Floriana

Patrik

Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> writes:

> I don't know if the code is by geography, spawn point, or creature type,
> nor how long it takes to reset, but I do know that staying in spot too
> long is deadly to fast xp!

Moorgard has promised to post details on the XP bonus system sometime
in the near future, on the official forums. I'm not expecting too
much in the way of numbers, but it'll be interesting to see, and if it
makes more people want to move around, I'll be a happy (non-)camper.

In article <zcWCd.6500$5s1.3203@fe33.usenetserver.com>, Cheddar wrote:
>> But no, it isn't a two-step process. It just keeps going down, down,
>> down...and it sounds like what DAOC has is a "normal" rate and a "bonus"
>> rate. Can anyone comment?
>
> If it's true then well done SoE.

They should actually state the bonus in the game, to make sure people are
aware of it. A bonus to encourage people to move around works better if
people know about it. :)

In DAoC (and in WoW and CoH, for that matter), when you kill a mob it tells
you how much XP you earned. DAoC gives you the total XP, and how much of
that came from the camp bonus, and, if the mob was part of a grouped set of
mobs, how much was from the group bonus.

--
--Tim Smith

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:18:21 -0000, "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote:

<snip>
>I was playing a few hours ago and was wandering by the scarecrow field in
>Antonica. I thought i'd give a scarecrow a go but to my annoyance all I
>couldnt. There were three groups running around, as soon as a scarecrow
>appeared the tank taunted and got him. This was happening all the time.
>
>As a predator I have to get into position to attack and simply couldnt get
>one in time. Even when the group were fighting, they had another guy who
>would attract the spawning crows.
>
>After 15 minutes I gave up. I dont mind people camping for a short while but
>somepeople are just taking the piss. I came across one group before that did
>10 hours straight on the scarecrows!

There is another field over the ridge line that is almost never
hunted. Try that one instead. It's in the middle of Antonica closer to
Windwalker Village.

--
Wulfbones Gnome Cleric Qeynos Antonia Bayle
Wulfrunner Gnome Predator Qeynos Antonia Bayle

Wulfbones

Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote in

> In article <zcWCd.6500$5s1.3203@fe33.usenetserver.com>, Cheddar wrote:
>>> But no, it isn't a two-step process. It just keeps going down, down,
>>> down...and it sounds like what DAOC has is a "normal" rate and a
>>> "bonus" rate. Can anyone comment?
>>
>> If it's true then well done SoE.
>
> They should actually state the bonus in the game, to make sure people
> are aware of it. A bonus to encourage people to move around works
> better if people know about it. :)
>
> In DAoC (and in WoW and CoH, for that matter), when you kill a mob it
> tells you how much XP you earned. DAoC gives you the total XP, and
> how much of that came from the camp bonus, and, if the mob was part of
> a grouped set of mobs, how much was from the group bonus.

Personally, I prefer not seeing all that detailed information, it just
caters to the min maxers. The way SoE has it now is just fine for me.

--

Davian wrote:

> If a quest requires killing a specific named mob, so far every
> time the named mob has spawned on cue as soon as a flagged player
> moved into the named's section of the zone.

This isn't always the case. For the Return of the Light quest in the
Commonlands you need to kill a named lion which is a rare spawn and
doesn't spawn automatically as you move into his section of the zone.
The next stage is to kill two named orcs which are also rare spawns.
(on an unrelated note I looked for those orcs for DAYS and when they
spawned they both popped at once and it turns out they were groupx2
encounters and I couldn't get anyone to help grrrr)

I agree with Davian though, I have not had a quest that required a rare
drop off a rare spawn. You can be required to get a rare mob or a rare
drop off a common mob but it doesn't look like you'll be asked for a
rare drop off a rare mob.

steve.kaye

patrik@nordebo.com writes:
> Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> writes:
>
> > I don't know if the code is by geography, spawn point, or creature type,
> > nor how long it takes to reset, but I do know that staying in spot too
> > long is deadly to fast xp!
>
> Moorgard has promised to post details on the XP bonus system sometime
> in the near future, on the official forums. I'm not expecting too
> much in the way of numbers, but it'll be interesting to see, and if it
> makes more people want to move around, I'll be a happy (non-)camper.

As I've been doing some quests in EQ1, I realised an implication
I haven't seen mentioned yet regarding EQ2's anti-camp code.

EQ1 mastered the art of the intermittent reward. (Which, as
psychology has shown, is the best way to train a subject to
repeat a desired behavior, in this case, playing the game. :)
We kill the same mobs over and over, not just to grind xp, but
because every once in a while a mob drops a nicer-than-average
item. In the case of a quest, it may be that the mob only
sometimes drops the item needed for the quest. EQ1 takes it a
step further by often forcing us to kill placeholder mobs over
and over, because once in a while the replacement will be the
quest mob. And in the really painful cases, the quest mob will
still have the required drop only part of the time.

In my case, I was clearing the stables in City of Mists, because
sometimes a spectral courier would spawn. The courier drops one
of three scrolls at random, and I needed all three, so in theory
I'd have to kill an average of 5-6 couriers to get all of them.
(I got lucky and got all different scrolls on the first three.)

My question is, has EQ2 moved away from this sort of quest? If
not, then does the anti-camping xp penalty screw over someone who
is forced to kill the same camp repeatedly to get a quest mob to
spawn?

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 41 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

"Don Woods" <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in message

> As I've been doing some quests in EQ1, I realised an implication
> I haven't seen mentioned yet regarding EQ2's anti-camp code.

*snip*

> item. In the case of a quest, it may be that the mob only
> sometimes drops the item needed for the quest. EQ1 takes it a
> step further by often forcing us to kill placeholder mobs over
> and over, because once in a while the replacement will be the
> quest mob. And in the really painful cases, the quest mob will
> still have the required drop only part of the time.

*snip*

> My question is, has EQ2 moved away from this sort of quest? If
> not, then does the anti-camping xp penalty screw over someone who
> is forced to kill the same camp repeatedly to get a quest mob to
> spawn?

Yes, so far as I've seen, that sort of thing has been excised completely. If
a quest requires a specific drop, it has always been from X type of mob, with
a chance to drop off all the common mobs once you get the quest. If a quest
requires killing a specific named mob, so far every time the named mob has
spawned on cue as soon as a flagged player moved into the named's section of
the zone.

I've yet to see a single quest which requried both a named spawn and a rare
drop off it.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk