Deleting System Restore Points

Phillip

Over the course of the last few months, i have upgraded to WindowsXP, added
more memory, installed a home network, and added some new software. All
along the way I created restore points, just in case, since i was doing so
much to overhaul my system.

The first part of my question is this; does each restore point that i've
created take up a lot of disk space? I've noticed when i defrag and run my
virus scan, it takes quite a while and goes thru a lot of files that begin
with C:\_RESTORE\Temp...

The second part of my question is this; If these restore points are taking
up a lot of disk space, is there a way to delete them, or should i just turn
off the system restore to delete them, then turn it back on and create 1 new
restore point, or should i just leave well enough alone?

I would appreciate any help or advice that anyone can give me!! Thanks!!

Hi Phillip,

Phillip wrote:
> Over the course of the last few months, i have upgraded
> to WindowsXP, added more memory, installed a home
> network, and added some new software. All along the way
> I created restore points, just in case, since i was doing
> so much to overhaul my system.

This is a good practice, and what System Restore was designed for.

> The first part of my question is this; does each restore
> point that i've created take up a lot of disk space?

System Restore will only take as much space as you allow it to.
Here are some tips for adjusting the store size.
Keeping System Restore Healthy
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/body_healthy.html

> I've noticed when i defrag and run my virus scan, it
> takes quite a while and goes thru a lot of files that
> begin with C:\_RESTORE\Temp...

C:\_RESTORE\Temp is a leftover after upgrading from WinME.
You should be able to delete it.

> The second part of my question is this; If these restore
> points are taking up a lot of disk space, is there a way
> to delete them, or should i just turn off the system
> restore to delete them, then turn it back on and create 1
> new restore point, or should i just leave well enough alone?

System is an excellent tool. I would not suggest turning it off unless
absolutely necessary. Use the following information to adjust the
store size to reduce the amount of space it uses. This will remove
only the oldest restore point and leave most recent.

How to Adjust the amount of disk space System Restore uses
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/body_diskspace.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Yes system restore points take up hell of a lot of room

Visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
button and look at question 46 'how do i clear system restore points to
improve performance.'

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Phillip" <Phillip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Over the course of the last few months, i have upgraded to WindowsXP,
> added
> more memory, installed a home network, and added some new software. All
> along the way I created restore points, just in case, since i was doing so
> much to overhaul my system.
>
> The first part of my question is this; does each restore point that i've
> created take up a lot of disk space? I've noticed when i defrag and run
> my
> virus scan, it takes quite a while and goes thru a lot of files that begin
> with C:\_RESTORE\Temp...
>
> The second part of my question is this; If these restore points are taking
> up a lot of disk space, is there a way to delete them, or should i just
> turn
> off the system restore to delete them, then turn it back on and create 1
> new
> restore point, or should i just leave well enough alone?
>
> I would appreciate any help or advice that anyone can give me!! Thanks!!

Phillip

Thank you so much for your help and information!! I appreciate it very much!!

Phillip

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Phillip,
>

> Phillip wrote:
> > Over the course of the last few months, i have upgraded
> > to WindowsXP, added more memory, installed a home
> > network, and added some new software. All along the way
> > I created restore points, just in case, since i was doing
> > so much to overhaul my system.
>
> This is a good practice, and what System Restore was designed for.
>
> > The first part of my question is this; does each restore
> > point that i've created take up a lot of disk space?
>
> System Restore will only take as much space as you allow it to.
> Here are some tips for adjusting the store size.
> Keeping System Restore Healthy
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/body_healthy.html
>
> > I've noticed when i defrag and run my virus scan, it
> > takes quite a while and goes thru a lot of files that
> > begin with C:\_RESTORE\Temp...
>
> C:\_RESTORE\Temp is a leftover after upgrading from WinME.
> You should be able to delete it.
>
> > The second part of my question is this; If these restore
> > points are taking up a lot of disk space, is there a way
> > to delete them, or should i just turn off the system
> > restore to delete them, then turn it back on and create 1
> > new restore point, or should i just leave well enough alone?
>
> System is an excellent tool. I would not suggest turning it off unless
> absolutely necessary. Use the following information to adjust the
> store size to reduce the amount of space it uses. This will remove
> only the oldest restore point and leave most recent.
>
> How to Adjust the amount of disk space System Restore uses
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/body_diskspace.html
> >
> > I would appreciate any help or advice that anyone can
> > give me!! Thanks!!
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/

Phillip

Thanks so much for your help and information, I really appreciate it!!