Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim'esq MMO, how much...

Last response: in Video Games

would you pay per month (subscription) for a functional MMO based on the Elder scrolls games?

Total: 28 votes (3 blank votes)

• $15 (regular price)
  • 28 %
  • $25
  • 0 %
  • $40+
  • 4 %
  • not interested
  • 68 %
January 12, 2012 10:21:35 PM

im just interested, cause i surely would pay a premium for this.

More about : skyrim esq mmo

January 12, 2012 10:29:15 PM

Nothing. The MMO genre is literally bereft of any new non-profit seeking content potential. It also breeds the worst gaming communities like some kind of electronic petri dish. =/
January 12, 2012 11:21:02 PM

Hi :) 

I voted nothing..if its not an FPS...i dont want it... :) 

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
January 13, 2012 4:25:11 PM

guavasauce said:
im just interested, cause i surely would pay a premium for this.

I am afraid casualcolors is right, there's no such thing...
January 13, 2012 6:22:22 PM

you know I'm sure the idea has touched bethesda's minds, however in a single player game where there's so many exploits and buggies when only 1 player is present, making that into an MMO... I cannot image that being a pleasurable experience.

MMOs breed bad communities? hm strange, I've only played 1 MMO for an extended period of time and I enjoyed the community thoroughly. Maybe it was because it was an older mmo (ragnarok online)?
January 13, 2012 6:37:04 PM

AntiZig said:
you know I'm sure the idea has touched bethesda's minds, however in a single player game where there's so many exploits and buggies when only 1 player is present, making that into an MMO... I cannot image that being a pleasurable experience.

MMOs breed bad communities? hm strange, I've only played 1 MMO for an extended period of time and I enjoyed the community thoroughly. Maybe it was because it was an older mmo (ragnarok online)?

Most def. The way MMO communities represent themselves now is a lot different than even just 5 or 6 years ago. They used to feel like an extension of the old MUD communities. That certainly is not the case anymore, and it's pretty disappointing.
January 13, 2012 6:40:58 PM

well how is it different? (I'm not familiar with MUD communities, I'm guessing you're referring to mud the racing game?)
January 13, 2012 6:42:08 PM

theres already a mod out thats free to use, that allows you to play mmo style... so why would i want to pay when i already have played for free... if they do release the mod officially then i doubt Bethesda will charge for it as its unlikely to have mass appeal. well going by the reception the mod got. couple of thousand downloads but very few actually playing. theres just not a lot to do...
January 13, 2012 6:43:52 PM

Nah, MUDs were old text-based games. Some were turn based, some were real-time action with cooldowns and basically provide largely the template for what is now widely accepted as the MMO-model of gaming. But the main difference is that where MMO's used to feel like the main point of the community was to discuss and evolve the game. Now MMO communities (and I have no choice but to point at WoW) are completely about bickering, putting others down, or making excuses for why you aren't capable of doing something someone else can instead of just applauding their achievement. It's literally worse than any COD forum and these are the official forums I'm talking about.

No sense of community and literally no detachment from real life. The forums and even interaction in the games just feels like people expressing extensions of their real boring bitter personalities 99% of the time.
January 13, 2012 9:15:07 PM

your not wrong there, every mmo player i have run into, have all had that air of superiority... they are the kind of people you cant tell anything to, and if they tell you anything you have to take it as gospel.
i found all of them to be arrogant and dismissive, there only interest is getting 1 over on the people they raid with... it really is pretty churlish...

just try and tell em there wrong and watch the diaphragm on your headset explode off the magnets, it really is fun to take the piss out of em...
i told 1 guy he was wrong about cod4 not using the vanilla quake engine... which it doesnt it uses a proprietary engine which is based on a heavily modified version of it called id tech 3. but he wouldnt have it... literally you could hear his face reddening with temper because sum1 dared to tell him he was mistaken... i made the point in jest but he just exploded...

as you say the wow forums are a bad joke, full clans infighting in public. along with bullying, abuse and whining. its really a place you should avoid...
the problem is it seems to be spreading to other game forums.. bfbc2 and battlfield 3 being the 2 latest i have walked away from... every post seems to be from idiots bitching that this gun is over powered or that gun is to nerfed, and instead of getting there skills up. they demand the game be toned down... i may be getting old (40) but all this cryiong over nothing is starting to get on my tits.
i actualy stopped playing bfbc2 because of the whiners... the game was great when i was playing the beta, you could climb on parts of the map that would later become out of bounds but no 1 cared... the only real complaint was the snipers... then came release and the forum was flooded with nerf this and nerf that... they spent more time winging than actual playing... so now i just avoid it all together...

a few years ago online was great and there was a sense of community, now its just a bunch of middle aged men acting like children...
January 13, 2012 10:58:29 PM

Glad that you touched on it Hexit. One of the biggest annoyances that pretty much crosses all genres and platforms of gaming is people talking about what constitutes "game balance" when they literally could not go back, plug in a nintendo, and beat a single 8 bit platformer because those games are for the most part designed to beat the player for his mistakes.

I would never fault someone for being bad at something, but instead of complaining about how unfair it is, it would be nice to see someone pick themselves up by the bootstraps and just increase their skill to overcome it. It's like people don't realize that's how you get good at different games lol. It's not some inherent genetic skill that only Koreans have.
January 17, 2012 2:43:44 AM

hmmmm, maybe i am in a small boat on this.

i think i noticed a lot more hostility from fps boards than i have mmo types. (unless we are talking about age of conan)(god that was a great game before morrison took over)
January 17, 2012 11:28:24 AM

I'd never pay a monthly sub for a game...well, never say never they say. But ya, no sub for me. So I voted No.

Communities: Elder Scroll wouldn't be the same. I love exploring caverns and certain sceneries but getting on top of a mountaing to admire the scenery when there's a bunch of retards bunny jumping around just wouldn't be the same anymore...so I say No to ES MMO.

I'd love to play with just 1 friend at a time or similar...which brings me to this... THERE'S A MOD ALLOWING MULTIPLAYER IN SKYRIM??????? Where? Link please?
January 17, 2012 1:26:22 PM

skyrim nexus... is the place to go for all your skyrim modding needs ;) 
January 17, 2012 6:35:47 PM

guavasauce said:
hmmmm, maybe i am in a small boat on this.

i think i noticed a lot more hostility from fps boards than i have mmo types. (unless we are talking about age of conan)(god that was a great game before morrison took over)

It's more the passive-aggressive shitty attitude of every person than any outward aggression, although there is plenty of that as well.
January 17, 2012 9:43:04 PM

I wish SW:TOR was just a single player game; not a single player game with MMO aspects to it and a monthly $15 charge.

I prefer to just buy a single player game, pay $50, and be done with it. I'm not a fan of MMO type games. I prefer to play with myself... ... ... Errrrrr ... ... I mean I prefer to play by myself.
January 20, 2012 3:01:57 AM

MMO's suck in so many ways. To me, it is like trying to incorporate a social networking medium into a fantasy setting. Go stick it where the sun don't shine, I say.

MMO's are merely platforms to show off yourself, to present yourself, to "represent".

Spare me. I don't love you, and I'm not interested.

I just want to play.
January 20, 2012 11:21:37 AM

HEXiT said:
skyrim nexus... is the place to go for all your skyrim modding needs ;) 

Thanks Hexit, i shall give it a try. Though I just saw some videos on youtube...doesn't look like i expected it to look like...
January 20, 2012 11:30:15 AM

umm, by that same reasoning you can say every multiplayer game is about showing off yourself...

I think you're focusing on the passive aspect of the MMO, where you come to a city and you see some guy wearing that shiny armor you don't have. In those terms it's showing off, but on the other hand MMOs are really a separate niche of their own. It's not trying to incorporate a social networking medium, since the medium is the game itself, it gives you the possibility for COOP and PVP with other players (just like many other multiplayers do) the only thing with MMO is that you don't have to go through game menu's to chose what game mode you want. It's a vast world and you chose how you experience it. You can play it like skyrim, and not care about all those other people running around, or you can ask random people to help you and maybe befriend them and experience the game further with them. The beauty of MMOs is the fact that developer creates a world concept where it gets populated by real players instead of npcs (yes, there's still npcs in mmos, but they are predominantly utility roles to serve the players) and in this world you get to play and experience it the way you, the player, wish it to be. It's an allusion to escapist paradise like skyrim, only with multiplayer aspect added to it. Basically, think if you had skyrim, only instead of stupid AI companions you would be able to ask a human being if they'd be willing to help you out with a quest or something.

and even if we go with your oversimplification of things, what is wrong with incorporating social networking into a fantasy setting? obviously all the people who came to play this game like the fantasy setting, being able to share your experiences with friends and random strangers is such a wrong thing?
January 20, 2012 12:45:05 PM

PCgamer81 said:
MMO's suck in so many ways. To me, it is like trying to incorporate a social networking medium into a fantasy setting. Go stick it where the sun don't shine, I say.

MMO's are merely platforms to show off yourself, to present yourself, to "represent".

Spare me. I don't love you, and I'm not interested.

I just want to play.

[:badge:3]

AntiZig said:
umm, by that same reasoning you can say every multiplayer game is about showing off yourself...

I think you're focusing on the passive aspect of the MMO, where you come to a city and you see some guy wearing that shiny armor you don't have. In those terms it's showing off, but on the other hand MMOs are really a separate niche of their own. It's not trying to incorporate a social networking medium, since the medium is the game itself, it gives you the possibility for COOP and PVP with other players (just like many other multiplayers do) the only thing with MMO is that you don't have to go through game menu's to chose what game mode you want. It's a vast world and you chose how you experience it. You can play it like skyrim, and not care about all those other people running around, or you can ask random people to help you and maybe befriend them and experience the game further with them. The beauty of MMOs is the fact that developer creates a world concept where it gets populated by real players instead of npcs (yes, there's still npcs in mmos, but they are predominantly utility roles to serve the players) and in this world you get to play and experience it the way you, the player, wish it to be. It's an allusion to escapist paradise like skyrim, only with multiplayer aspect added to it. Basically, think if you had skyrim, only instead of stupid AI companions you would be able to ask a human being if they'd be willing to help you out with a quest or something.

and even if we go with your oversimplification of things, what is wrong with incorporating social networking into a fantasy setting? obviously all the people who came to play this game like the fantasy setting, being able to share your experiences with friends and random strangers is such a wrong thing?

Don't mind PCgamer, he's Tomshardwares clown. None of his "reasonings" make any sense...

I agree with you Antizig, you made some good points.

January 20, 2012 4:49:06 PM

If you are interested someone (name is AwpSoLeet) made a Skyrim Online mod. It has been out for about a month and receives regular updates. I think it is still in alpha. Poor guy got screwed over by another modding team.
January 21, 2012 2:19:44 AM

Gothams Finest said:
[:badge:3]

Don't mind PCgamer, he's Tomshardwares clown. None of his "reasonings" make any sense...

I agree with you Antizig, you made some good points.

Just because they don't make sense to you doesn't mean they don't make sense.

And I sent you a private message, I would very much appreciate you reading it.
January 21, 2012 2:23:38 AM

AntiZig said:

I have been down that road.

You're definition is of what MMO's are supposed to be, and I agree with it.

But what MMO's are supposed to be, and what they end up being, are two different things altogether.

I have usually had fun with MMO's.

But it can get tedious, and annoying; some people don't know how to act in a social setting, and it can mess it up for everyone.
January 21, 2012 2:24:30 AM

Not sure what the controversy in PC Gamer's post was. Former top 100 world/top 40 US raider and main tank here. The entire point of the game is to show yourselves off. And I'm sorry but WoW still defines the MMO genre.
January 21, 2012 2:30:24 AM

casualcolors said:
Not sure what the controversy in PC Gamer's post was. Former top 100 world/top 40 US raider and main tank here. The entire point of the game is to show yourselves off. And I'm sorry but WoW still defines the MMO genre.

I have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours in MMO's, as well. I understand what the appeal is for most people, and I just don't want to go down that road, again. It can get to a point to where you are no longer having fun.
January 21, 2012 3:47:53 AM

I voted for nothing.

Why would I want an Elder Scrolls MMO if I can just keep my WoW and get TES on Single Player?
January 21, 2012 7:22:54 AM

Actually, the MMO's are about showing it off, because it's a lot of hard work to be done to get to the high-end content (i.e. top tier raids), and I can understand this, as long as it's not presented as a "in your face" style; also the MMO's can be played in a "single player mode" configuration, there are a lot of things to do in the huge worlds that are presented to the players, if you want to go down that path. I've done this, in World of Warcraft and in Lineage 2.

So it all depennds on how one chooses to do it; be a more competitive spirit, or a relaxed, laid-back character. I've personally enjoyed the more relaxed gameplay, world quests, exploring, and so on. And those MMO's still had a lot of appeal for me. As for the community... oh well, that's debatable, but it's still bearable even in worst case scenarios.
January 21, 2012 8:45:49 AM

Eldd said:
Actually, the MMO's are about showing it off, because it's a lot of hard work to be done to get to the high-end content (i.e. top tier raids), and I can understand this, as long as it's not presented as a "in your face" style; also the MMO's can be played in a "single player mode" configuration, there are a lot of things to do in the huge worlds that are presented to the players, if you want to go down that path. I've done this, in World of Warcraft and in Lineage 2.

So it all depennds on how one chooses to do it; be a more competitive spirit, or a relaxed, laid-back character. I've personally enjoyed the more relaxed gameplay, world quests, exploring, and so on. And those MMO's still had a lot of appeal for me. As for the community... oh well, that's debatable, but it's still bearable even in worst case scenarios.

Also, I have noticed a correlation between the average age of the subscriber base and the quality of the gaming experience.

For instance, EVE Online (average age 30+) allows for a much better quality social gaming experience than World of Warcraft (average age 26-28) - and Runescape's the worst (average age 16-24). I generally don't like going raiding unless I know the people. Drawing kiddie aggro is something that totally ruins it.

To me, making an MMO out of Skyrim would destroy it.

I want to play it relaxed. I don't want to have to worry about all the stuff that goes along with being engaged in an MMO.
January 21, 2012 3:02:24 PM

PCgamer81 said:
Just because they don't make sense to you doesn't mean they don't make sense.

And I sent you a private message, I would very much appreciate you reading it.

Put your purse down.

That cuts both ways, just because they make sense to you doesn't mean that they do make sense.

I'll get round to reading your PM at some point.... when I fancy a good laugh.
January 22, 2012 6:43:26 AM

Gothams Finest said:

That cuts both ways, just because they make sense to you doesn't mean that they do make sense.
It wouldn't make sense to you. That's the point.

Gothams Finest said:
I'll get round to reading your PM at some point.... when I fancy a good laugh.
You do that.
January 24, 2012 3:35:02 PM

Anytime I get into one of these MMORPG games, it's usually for about 2 months and it becomes stale. My most recent experience was with Rift. It's visually stunning and fun while you play, but the same thing over and over. I signed on at the 'Pioneers' rate or whatever they called it, and I played for a couple hours each day for a month and a half and it just became a subscription I forgot to cancel before the 6-month mark.

I usually go in with good intentions, but the repetition of the missions and types of missions just kind of grind on you after a while. Skyrim is good for me because it has an end goal to work toward. I've finally come to this realization as a gamer. This is why I also like the Diablos. You play, you finish it, then you look forward to the sequel some time in the next five years. If Skyrim were an endless grind, I would stop playing.

But I digress...
January 24, 2012 10:57:43 PM

ubercake said:
Anytime I get into one of these MMORPG games, it's usually for about 2 months and it becomes stale. My most recent experience was with Rift. It's visually stunning and fun while you play, but the same thing over and over. I signed on at the 'Pioneers' rate or whatever they called it, and I played for a couple hours each day for a month and a half and it just became a subscription I forgot to cancel before the 6-month mark.

I usually go in with good intentions, but the repetition of the missions and types of missions just kind of grind on you after a while. Skyrim is good for me because it has an end goal to work toward. I've finally come to this realization as a gamer. This is why I also like the Diablos. You play, you finish it, then you look forward to the sequel some time in the next five years. If Skyrim were an endless grind, I would stop playing.

But I digress...

Coolest avatar and handle ever.

That is all.
January 25, 2012 12:05:06 PM

PCgamer81 said:
Coolest avatar and handle ever.

That is all.

LOL +1
!