Jo

Hi,
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 PC and for the past few months it has been
occasionally locking up or freezing. This is occuring more frequently now,
and the only thing i can do is turn it off at the wall. It happens both when
the internet is connected and when it isnt. I cant pin point any particular
program that may be causing this as it doesnt seem to matter what I am doing
at the time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Please have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors that may point to the
problem. From Start>Run type

eventvwr.msc

then expand the folders in the left hand column. If you find any errors
could you please post the 'Source' and 'Event ID'? With those your problem
could be narrowed down.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a Dell Dimension 4600 PC and for the past few months it has been
> occasionally locking up or freezing. This is occuring more frequently now,
> and the only thing i can do is turn it off at the wall. It happens both
> when
> the internet is connected and when it isnt. I cant pin point any
> particular
> program that may be causing this as it doesnt seem to matter what I am
> doing
> at the time.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jo

Hi,
in the application folder there were a few items marked as errors. the
details are:
Today:
Source: SNDSrvc event no: 13
Source: Application Error event no: 1001
Source: Application Error event no: 1000
Source: Application Error event no: 1001
Source: Application Error event no: 1000
Source: Application Error event no: 1001
Source: Applicaiton Error event no: 1000

20th March, 17th, 25th and 27th of April 05
Source: Application Hang event no: 1001
Source: Application Hang event no: 1002
(several times repeated on the 20th March and 17th April)

9th April
Source: Application Error event: 1000

21st Feb 05
Source: Perflib event no: 1015

16th October 04
Source: MSiInstaller event no: 11905
Source: MSiInstaller event no: 11931 (again on 14th October)

I didnt list them all, but the different types have been included. the main
one that i noticed was the application hang.

In the security folder there are no errors, but some failure audits listed.
Do you need those details?

In the system folder, the following errors were listed...
Source: DCOM event no: 10010 (this was most common error type)
Source: W32Time event no: 29
Source: W32Time event no: 17
Source: Windows Update Agent event no: 16
Source: Print event no: 61

Thanks!