Linksys WMP54G & WAG54G can't get through gateway

Hi

Hope someone can help. I'm trying to configure the above units for a
friend on a Win98 machine.

Everything seems to be set correctly on both the Linksys ADSL Gateway
(WMP54G v2) and on the client PC using the WAG54G nic.

The PC can see the WMP54G and is assigned an IP address from it acting
as a DHCP server. The WMP54G itself can see the ISP and get an IP
address from their DHCP.

The WMP54G has a diagnostic utility that allows you to ping addresses
from it on to the WAN side. This has been successful in pinging some
IP addresses (hotmail, cnn, google) but not all.

However the PC cannot ping across the WMP54G or access any internet
Web sites etc.

Any suggestions on what might be going on here / what next to try?

TIA

Red
2 answers Last reply
More about linksys wmp54g wag54g gateway

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:47:41 GMT, Red Bright <m@5.com> wrote:

    >Hope someone can help. I'm trying to configure the above units for a
    >friend on a Win98 machine.
    >
    >Everything seems to be set correctly on both the Linksys ADSL Gateway
    >(WMP54G v2) and on the client PC using the WAG54G nic.
    >
    >The PC can see the WMP54G and is assigned an IP address from it acting
    >as a DHCP server. The WMP54G itself can see the ISP and get an IP
    >address from their DHCP.
    >
    >The WMP54G has a diagnostic utility that allows you to ping addresses
    >from it on to the WAN side. This has been successful in pinging some
    >IP addresses (hotmail, cnn, google) but not all.
    >
    >However the PC cannot ping across the WMP54G or access any internet
    >Web sites etc.

    1. Can the PC ping the WMP54G router?

    2. The WAG54G should also have an IP address assigned to it by DHCP
    from the router. Can you ping it? The address has nothing to do with
    connectivity and is used only to configure the WAG54G.

    >Any suggestions on what might be going on here / what next to try?

    1. Check the default route on the PC and make sure it points to the
    IP address of the WMP54G router. Run:
    start -> run -> <enter>
    ipconfig

    2. Check your c:\windoze\hosts file and make sure that it's not
    populated with a bunch of junk like:
    www.microsoft.com 127.0.0.1
    www.symantec.com 127.0.0.1
    www.antivirus.com 127.0.0.1
    (etc)
    Some viruses add this to the hosts file to prevent you from accessing
    anti-virus web sites and downloading fixes.

    3. Check if your DNS servers are correct and working. If you
    manually setup the IP addresses in the router, double check that these
    are valid DNS servers. Also run:
    ipconfig /all | find /I "dns"
    to see if what the Win98 box thinks is the DNS server. It should
    point to the WMP54G router.

    4. Try disabling the wireless and plugging the Windoze box directly
    into the router using a CAT5 ethernet cable. If the symptoms persist,
    then there's something wrong with the Win98 PC. I suggest borrowing a
    known working machine, verifying that the router and ISP connection is
    functional, and then concentrating the troubleshooting the part of the
    puzzle that's broken.

    5. Disable any software firewalls on the Win98 PC while testing.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:01:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    AAAAAAARGH! Ignore some of my previous posting.

    Your description of the two devices have the Linksys model numbers
    reversed. The WAG54G is the ADSL gateway. The WMP54G is the PCI
    client adapter in the Win98 machine. I should have looked them up
    before trusting your posting and my failing memory.

    Except for checking the IP address of the client adapter, my suggested
    tests are still valid if you exchange the model numbers.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    AE6KS 831-336-2558

Internet Service Providers Linksys Wireless Networking