scheduled task

I am trying to schedule a regular defrag for my home computer. Task
Schedulaer won't run it for me, though. I keep getting the following error
message,

"The new task has been created but may not run because the account
information could not be set. The specific error is 0x80070005: Access is
denied. Try using task page Browse button to locate the application."

I have full access to my own home computer. I don't have any passwords set.
I already used the scheduler browse button to locate the application:
dfrg.msc. How can I schedule a regular defrag?

TIA,
Richard Silver

I forgot to explain that I am logged on as Administrator and I also tried
using defrag.exe.

"koolking" wrote:

> I am trying to schedule a regular defrag for my home computer. Task
> Schedulaer won't run it for me, though. I keep getting the following error
> message,
>
> "The new task has been created but may not run because the account
> information could not be set. The specific error is 0x80070005: Access is
> denied. Try using task page Browse button to locate the application."
>
> I have full access to my own home computer. I don't have any passwords set.
> I already used the scheduler browse button to locate the application:
> dfrg.msc. How can I schedule a regular defrag?
>
> TIA,
> Richard Silver

Scheduled Tasks require an account with a non-blank password also Scheduled
Tasks|Advanced|View Log may provide some details.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"koolking" wrote:
|I am trying to schedule a regular defrag for my home computer. Task
| Schedulaer won't run it for me, though. I keep getting the following error
| message,
|
| "The new task has been created but may not run because the account
| information could not be set. The specific error is 0x80070005: Access is
| denied. Try using task page Browse button to locate the application."
|
| I have full access to my own home computer. I don't have any passwords
set.
| I already used the scheduler browse button to locate the application:
| dfrg.msc. How can I schedule a regular defrag?
|
| TIA,
| Richard Silver

Windows XP, by default, will not run tasks scheduled with a local
user account that does not have a password:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311119

You either have to add a password to your account or use the
following workaround:

Run regedit.
Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa
In the right hand pane, right click on limitblankpassworduse and
select modify.
Change the Value data to 0.
Close the registry editor.

Also, running dfrg.msc as your scheduled task will only bring up
the Disk Defragmenter utility. You have to use the command line
version, defrag.exe. Take a look here for more details:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/gehrke1.mspx

--
Nepatsfan
"koolking" <koolking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to schedule a regular defrag for my home computer.
>Task
> Schedulaer won't run it for me, though. I keep getting the
> following error
> message,
>
> "The new task has been created but may not run because the
> account
> information could not be set. The specific error is 0x80070005:
> Access is
> denied. Try using task page Browse button to locate the
> application."
>
> I have full access to my own home computer. I don't have any
> passwords set.
> I already used the scheduler browse button to locate the
> application:
> dfrg.msc. How can I schedule a regular defrag?
>
> TIA,
> Richard Silver

Hi Richard,

I believe you will have to create a logon password for that account
before it will work.

Tweakui can be used at this point to automatically logon.
Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1
and later
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp

With NO Service Packs installed, the earlier version can be found
here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
Windows XP

Click on Logon and then enter the User name you want to automatically
logon.

Here a script you may find useful.
Defragment All Hard Drives
http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

koolking wrote:
> I am trying to schedule a regular defrag for my home
> computer. Task Schedulaer won't run it for me, though. I
> keep getting the following error message,
>
> "The new task has been created but may not run because
> the account information could not be set. The specific
> error is 0x80070005: Access is denied. Try using task
> page Browse button to locate the application."
>
> I have full access to my own home computer. I don't have
> any passwords set. I already used the scheduler browse
> button to locate the application: dfrg.msc. How can I
> schedule a regular defrag?
>
> TIA,
> Richard Silver

TRENDING THREADS