Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Compressing video files

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 6, 2010 10:25:09 AM

Hello,
the video I want to put on DVD is slightly too big. Is there a way to 'compress' it si it will fit on the DVD?
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2010 10:38:04 AM

Can you elaborate? What format is the video right now? When you burn to DVD the program should shrink it automatically so it fits.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2010 10:38:24 AM

Depends.

How long is the video? What are the settings you're using to encode it? What software are you using?

Alternatively, do you have a dual-layer burner and just put the video on a dual-layer disc instead?
m
0
l
Related resources
October 6, 2010 12:15:47 PM

I have no idea what format it is :( ((. It is 150 mins long. I am using windows 7 . I want to put it all on one DVD. I have successfully burned part of it onto a DVD disc so I know I can get it on to the DVD. I don't have dual layer burner - at least don't think I do. I have a Compaq Pressario CQ71- I am also a 66 year old novice re computers
m
0
l
October 6, 2010 12:19:52 PM

4745454b said:
Can you elaborate? What format is the video right now? When you burn to DVD the program should shrink it automatically so it fits.


It doesn't automatically shrink it and I can't find any option to. shrink it. I had an applemac previously and that had an option when copying to shrink files to fit disc but can't find anything like that on Windows7.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2010 12:53:57 PM

150 minutes for a standard, single layer disc is really pushing it, and even if you could squeeze it on the quality would be pretty naff.

Coming from a professional video background I don't use any of the built-in tools and home-use stuff that comes with Windows, so I can't really advise.

You could look at getting a copy of Nero as that comes with a lot of extra features for producing photo albums, DVDs and that sort of thing - you'd probably get more control on quality settings, bitrates, etc which all determine how big the overall file is and get it onto a disc.

As far as your DVD burner goes, if you bought it in the last few years it's pretty much guaranteed to be a dual-layer, dual format burner.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2010 3:16:47 PM

I think the problem is your over the 2hr mark. You can shrink it to fit, but as LePhuronn said its going to get ugly. I haven't used win7 yet (I just bought the family pack so I get to install it on my machines this sunday and monday.) but you should be able to use nero 7 or above or other programs. If you can convert it to DVD but leave it on your harddrive you can use a (illegal) program to SHRINK it.

I also agree that if you have a recent burner it should be dual layer. Its nearly impossible to buy one these days or even a few years ago that isn't DL and lightscribe.
m
0
l
October 6, 2010 10:06:57 PM

LePhuronn said:
150 minutes for a standard, single layer disc is really pushing it, and even if you could squeeze it on the quality would be pretty naff.

Coming from a professional video background I don't use any of the built-in tools and home-use stuff that comes with Windows, so I can't really advise.

You could look at getting a copy of Nero as that comes with a lot of extra features for producing photo albums, DVDs and that sort of thing - you'd probably get more control on quality settings, bitrates, etc which all determine how big the overall file is and get it onto a disc.

As far as your DVD burner goes, if you bought it in the last few years it's pretty much guaranteed to be a dual-layer, dual format burner.




Thank you both for your advice. My laptop is only one month old so I think I better investigate further as to what it can do re dual-layer, dual format burner. Trouble is they no longer come with instruction manuals and I can't find one on the internet so it's a bit of trial and error at the moment. SIGH
I shall also look into getting a copy of Nero as it sounds very useful.
Thank you again:) ))
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2010 12:17:34 AM

Its great, but make sure you get the right one. The basic copy of nero won't do what you want as its only burning software. You need the one with Nero vision(?) Or is it essentials?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2010 4:31:31 AM

DVD Flick is a free program that will shrink it fit, but as previously stated the end result won't be very good quality. 150 min is just too long for a standard disk, especialy with the new large screen tv's.
You can download DVD Flick here.> http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php
m
0
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
October 7, 2010 4:27:20 PM

scapa said:
I have no idea what format it is :( ((. It is 150 mins long. I am using windows 7 . I want to put it all on one DVD. I have successfully burned part of it onto a DVD disc so I know I can get it on to the DVD. I don't have dual layer burner - at least don't think I do. I have a Compaq Pressario CQ71- I am also a 66 year old novice re computers


You really should find out what format the file is, there are several ways to recode a file, but that method varies depending on what the file is. For example if the file is already compressed, using a different compression method on it can easily give you the opposite of what you want and make the file bigger.

Also you did not say if you just want the file on the DVD or if you want to use that DVD in a regular DVD player, that will also change what you need to do.
m
0
l
!