Software to show fps?

I'd like to find out what kind of frame rate I am getting with my current PC setup on certain games. What is a good, free software that I can use to monitor this?
Reply to budget_gamer
14 answers Last reply
More about software show
  1. You could try FRAPS.
    Reply to Eldd
  2. FRAPs is probably the best and easiest. It has other advantages like being able to record video. It's a relatively small install and is well know and used.

I use MSI Afterburner as I also use it to monitor the GPU temp in the on screen display. I also use it to change my fan profile and overclock my card.
    Reply to jay2tall
  3. If it's only for FPS display, then FRAPS is the best one.
    FRAPS
    http://www.fraps.com/

If you want to display the FPS, temps etc, use MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision.
    Reply to Gman450
  4. I have both FRAPS and MSI Afterburner now. Gonna try them both out when my new GPU gets here on Monday. My current GPU (GT 210) gets a whopping 15 FPS on Skyrim at 800x450 resolution, lol.
    Reply to budget_gamer
  5. +1 for FRAPS
    Reply to skaz
  6. the new GPU tweek is good aswell and you can record video aswell as tweek in game and overclock while playing.

but FRAPS is the most common and easiers to use just remember when recording the video size for a 1 min video is about 1gb with fraps
    Reply to Spoony
  7. Spoony said:
    the new GPU tweek is good aswell and you can record video aswell as tweek in game and overclock while playing.

but FRAPS is the most common and easiers to use just remember when recording the video size for a 1 min video is about 1gb with fraps

But don't forget you can change video capture setting to "half size" which will reduce the file size. After that encode it using h.264 and mp3. The file size won't be dramatic if you edit and encode your videos correctly.
    Reply to skaz
  8. 1. msi afterburn
    2. fraps
    3. ati tray tool
    Reply to truegenius
  9. You could use shadowplay, which shows FPS but doesnt not effect the preformance of the game. ( only available if you have a Nvidia GPU)
    Reply to 9swaggy
  10. Hey you can use fraps its the best software for knowing FPS it can also be use on videos and other media and above all its free and not propitiatory like shadowplay by nvidia also with pro version you can record video so its best of both worlds
    If you want to know how to use it and where you can download it I have a youtube video on my channel which you can find here: http://youtu.be/ClXJ5TFANCs
    Reply to AnuroopTheGeek
  11. I've never actually used it myself but Steam recently added an FPS counter to the Steam Overlay. The obvious downside to this one is that it won't work for DRM free, Origin, or uPlay games.

Like others have said, I just use FRAPS. It's a lightweight solution that will get the job done for most games. I did have an issue where it wouldn't display the counter if the resolution changed but I haven't had that happen in a while.

I only use these counters the first couple times I play a new game to help me tweak the settings. Once I'm happy with the balance of performance to visuals I quit turning it on for that game.
    Reply to king3pj
  12. Do I want to download fraps... their site says "download for windows XP, 2003, vista and 7"
    Is this a typo or is there no support for 10?
    Reply to glytch5
  13. Steam and Uplay have a setting where you can show FPS. Fraps too can show the FPS but would slow down gameplay.
    Reply to MeesterYellow
  14. I wrote the post recommending Fraps over 2 years ago. I wouldn't bother with it now. I typically just use Steam's built in FPS counter. If I am playing a game outside of Steam and I want an FPS reading I turn it on in Shadowplay. I'm not positive whether AMD has an equivalent of this or not since I haven't used an AMD card in quite a few years.
    Reply to king3pj
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

PC gaming FPS Software Video Games