ntbackup

I am running Windows XP Pro and I am backing up most of my files to a hard
drive on the USB. Why does the backup program always write a fragmented
file. After I backup, 7 gig of data, I have to go back and defrag the drive
no matter how much of contigous space is available.
Thanks in advance,
Don

Why are you worried about fragmentation on an external device? That has
absolutely no bearing on anything. It's literally a non-issue.

The free space on the device is fragmented if you're really concerned. Not
all defraggers defrag free space.

--
Walter Clayton

"Donald F. Emery" <demery@vermontel.net> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Pro and I am backing up most of my files to a hard
>drive on the USB. Why does the backup program always write a fragmented
>file. After I backup, 7 gig of data, I have to go back and defrag the drive
>no matter how much of contigous space is available.
> Thanks in advance,
> Don

Hi,
The backup doesn't allow me to save files directly to CD-RW drive so instead
I save it into the C drive. Can I then copy the backup file into CD-RW? Can
the wizard restores back the backup file reading from CD?

Thanks,
Nordin Razali.

"Walter Clayton" wrote:

> Why are you worried about fragmentation on an external device? That has
> absolutely no bearing on anything. It's literally a non-issue.
>
> The free space on the device is fragmented if you're really concerned. Not
> all defraggers defrag free space.
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>

> "Donald F. Emery" <demery@vermontel.net> wrote in message
> >I am running Windows XP Pro and I am backing up most of my files to a hard
> >drive on the USB. Why does the backup program always write a fragmented
> >file. After I backup, 7 gig of data, I have to go back and defrag the drive
> >no matter how much of contigous space is available.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Don

NTBackup does not do optical media, at least not directly. There is a way to
fool it, but in my mind it's not worth the hassle. Just create the backup to
disk and use your standard burning application to burn the data.
If you need to restore you'll have to install a minimal system, drop the
data back to HD and have NTBackup load it from there.

--
Walter Clayton