Windows XP icon associations gone screwy.

May 2, 2005 4:55:06 PM

Ok, I tried this program called WindowBlinds, but it took too much system
resources for my liking. So, prior to removing it, I used its interface to
set everything back to defaults. It appeared to do so. Then I removed
WindowBlinds from my system, and now some icon associations are missing. My
..txt files no longer display the typical notepad icon, they display the
generic Windows XP "unkown" filetype icon. The file opens fine when double
clicked, so it knows what kind of file it is, but the icon is misleading. I
tried going to folder options/file types and changing the association to the
notepad .exe, but the icon remains falsely represented. I also have this
problem with .bmp files. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:41:53 AM

Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox

"Shyguy" <Shyguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I tried this program called WindowBlinds, but it took too much system
> resources for my liking. So, prior to removing it, I used its interface to
> set everything back to defaults. It appeared to do so. Then I removed
> WindowBlinds from my system, and now some icon associations are missing. My
> .txt files no longer display the typical notepad icon, they display the
> generic Windows XP "unkown" filetype icon. The file opens fine when double
> clicked, so it knows what kind of file it is, but the icon is misleading. I
> tried going to folder options/file types and changing the association to the
> notepad .exe, but the icon remains falsely represented. I also have this
> problem with .bmp files. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:41:54 AM

Thanks for the link..

Those fixes appear to be for when the file does not know what to open with.
The .txt files open normally when double clicked, the problem was that the
..txt file's icon was not being represented properly. Also I tried the Windows
XP edition of Tweak UI, to rebuild the icons, but that didnt work.

Some how, some way, UPnP has turned out to be the culprit. As soon as I
removed that Windows feature, it set all icons back to normal...WEIRD.

Thanks again for the info though.

!