can't defragment all files on dirve

May 2, 2005 10:01:03 PM

I usually run scan disk & disk defragmenter every weekend & all has been for
while except for a few weeks ago. My printer doesn't work anymore (won't
even print a test page), so I was reading about how a fragmented drive
affects the printing performance if it's running slow. So after running disk
defragmenter for a few minutes the program stops & says that some of the
files can't be defragmented on the drive.

A friend of mine sent me disk keeper 9.0 to use and it fixed everything
but 3 files that I can't defragment or whatever you wanna call it. I still
can't even print a test page (the printer use to turn on by itself when you
went to print something). Now I have to physically press the "ON" button &
the printer starts to feed a piece of paper in (maybe about a inch), but
quickly stops & the paper feeder lets go of the piece & the paper is returned
back to the original starting position inn the paper tray.
After running the defrag report it says the following:

Volume Hdisk1 (C:)
Volume size = 37.27 GB
Cluster size = 512 bytes
Used space = 14.22 GB
Free space = 23.05 GB
Percent free space = 61 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 9 %
File fragmentation = 18 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 95,805
Average file size = 178 KB
Total fragmented files = 3
Total excess fragments = 16
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 575 MB
Total fragments = 2

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 4,625
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 115 MB
MFT record count = 105,272
Percent MFT in use = 89 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
3 1.68 GB \Documents and
Settings\administrator\Application Data\ACD Systems\ImageDB\ImageDB.ddf

I have no idea what all this really means, but I was using ACDSee power pac
7.0 as a image viewer, but after not being able to print anything & getting
the above message in the report, I completely uninstalled ACDsee & deleted
the program from the registry (I think).

If anyone has any solutions to my not being able to print anything (it’s a
HP DeskJet 820cxi) or defragging the rest of the files the above report says,
would be GREATLY appreciate!
Thanks.

More about : defragment files dirve

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:55:22 PM

When did you last run a Disk Cleanup?

Have you tried simply uninstalling and reinstalling the printer?
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"d6s9c" <d6s9c@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
> Total MFT size = 115 MB
> MFT record count = 105,272
> Percent MFT in use = 89 %
> Total MFT fragments = 3

> Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
> 3 1.68 GB \Documents and
> Settings\administrator\Application Data\ACD Systems\ImageDB\ImageDB.ddf
>
> I have no idea what all this really means, but I was using ACDSee power
> pac
> 7.0 as a image viewer, but after not being able to print anything &
> getting
> the above message in the report, I completely uninstalled ACDsee &
> deleted
> the program from the registry (I think).
>
> If anyone has any solutions to my not being able to print anything (it's a
> HP DeskJet 820cxi) or defragging the rest of the files the above report

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:16:01 AM

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I have no idea what all this really means, but I was using ACDSee power
> > pac
> > 7.0 as a image viewer, but after not being able to print anything &
> > getting
> > the above message in the report, I completely uninstalled ACDsee &
> > deleted
> > the program from the registry (I think).
> >
> > If anyone has any solutions to my not being able to print anything (it's a
> > HP DeskJet 820cxi) or defragging the rest of the files the above report
> > says,
> > would be GREATLY appreciate!
> > Thanks.
> >

> Running disk clean up does not not fix or clear up the either problem....As far as uninstalling & reinstalling the printer drivers, I have done this, and I the printer does the exact same thing as I have described in the above original message.....

Anyway by trying to reinstall the printer drivers would not solve the
problem of my C Drive not being able to completely defragment....I think from
what I have been reading in the different newsgroups on here, is that a
defragmented drive, such as I have on my machine, would or does affect the
printing capabilities. Am I right in my assumption? ( But u know what
assumptions stand for...) A friend gave me Defragmentor Pro Plus to try & it
originally cleaned up some of the defragmented files on the C Drive, but it
still leaves the 3 files on there that can't be defragmented , as the above
report states.......Thanks!
Related resources
May 3, 2005 6:43:18 AM

Disk fragmentation is NOT the cause of your printing problem, because,
among other reasons, your disk is in good shape, at least with regard to
fragmentation. Diskeeper doesn't try to achieve perfection; for that you
need the appropriately named PerfectDisk by Raxco. Not that the Raxco
product is that much better; it's a question of two different philosophies
of defragmentation.

Solving your printing problem requires information about your printer, not
your hard disk.

Stephen R. Diamond

On Mon, 02 May 2005 18:01:03 -0700, d6s9c

--
srd
Anonymous

"srd" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
> > Total MFT size = 115 MB
> > MFT record count = 105,272
> > Percent MFT in use = 89 %
> > Total MFT fragments = 3

> > Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
> > 3 1.68 GB \Documents and
> > Settings\administrator\Application Data\ACD Systems\ImageDB\ImageDB.ddf
> >
> > I have no idea what all this really means, but I was using ACDSee power
> > pac
> > 7.0 as a image viewer, but after not being able to print anything &
> > getting
> > the above message in the report, I completely uninstalled ACDsee &
> > deleted
> > the program from the registry (I think).
> >
> > If anyone has any solutions to my not being able to print anything (it’s
> > HP DeskJet 820cxi) or defragging the rest of the files the above report

What do you need to know about my printer?......it's a HP Desk Jet 820 Cxi....
I uninstalled & deleted the drivers, rebooted, then rre-installed the
drivers, connected the printer cable tried to print a test page as it does
when you a new printer is detected, & it still does the same thing by taking
the paper in for a sec & then releasing it (I still have to physically press
the "ON" button for anything happens).
HELP!
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 6:46:42 PM

Check your printer settings. Could be worth trying Start, Control Panel,
Printers & Faxes, right click on Printer icon and select Properties.
Next General tab, Printing Preferences, Paper / Quality, Paper Source.
Select Automatically Select!

Sounds like you may the paper source set to Manual, which would explain
why it prints when you press the button.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> [...]
>> >
>> > If anyone has any solutions to my not being able to print anything
>> > (it’s
>> > HP DeskJet 820cxi) or defragging the rest of the files the above
>> > report
>> > says,
>> > would be GREATLY appreciate!
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> --
>> srd
>>
> What do you need to know about my printer?......it's a HP Desk Jet 820
> Cxi....
> I uninstalled & deleted the drivers, rebooted, then rre-installed the
> drivers, connected the printer cable tried to print a test page as it
> does
> when you a new printer is detected, & it still does the same thing by
> taking
> the paper in for a sec & then releasing it (I still have to physically
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 6:46:43 PM

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Check your printer settings. Could be worth trying Start, Control Panel,
> Printers & Faxes, right click on Printer icon and select Properties.
> Next General tab, Printing Preferences, Paper / Quality, Paper Source.
> Select Automatically Select!
>
> Sounds like you may the paper source set to Manual, which would explain
> why it prints when you press the button.
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "d6s9c" <d6s9c@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "srd" wrote:
> >
> >> Disk fragmentation is NOT the cause of your printing problem,
> >> because,
> >> among other reasons, your disk is in good shape, at least with regard
> >> fragmentation. Diskeeper doesn't try to achieve perfection; for that
> >> you
> >> need the appropriately named PerfectDisk by Raxco. Not that the Raxco
> >> product is that much better; it's a question of two different
> >> philosophies
> >> of defragmentation.
> >>
> >> Solving your printing problem requires information about your
> >> printer, not
> >> your hard disk.
> >>
> >> Stephen R. Diamond

> >> --
> >> srd
> >>
> > What do you need to know about my printer?......it's a HP Desk Jet 820
> > Cxi....
> > I uninstalled & deleted the drivers, rebooted, then rre-installed the
> > drivers, connected the printer cable tried to print a test page as it
> > does
> > when you a new printer is detected, & it still does the same thing by
> > taking
> > the paper in for a sec & then releasing it (I still have to physically
> > press
> > the "ON" button for anything happens).
> > HELP!

The paper is set to automatic paper select already, & the printer DOESN'T
print at all! I have tried to do a boot defragment using Perfect Disk as
someone suggested.
However, I still have the same problems.....Printer not working & I STILL
can't get my C Drive to completely defragment!!
Any Ideas??????
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:05:45 PM

Go to a friend's house and connect the printer to their PC. Does it now
work correctly?

If not, the printer needs replacing.
--

> The paper is set to automatic paper select already, & the printer DOESN'T
> print at all! I have tried to do a boot defragment using Perfect Disk as
> someone suggested.
> However, I still have the same problems.....Printer not working & I STILL
> can't get my C Drive to completely defragment!!
> Any Ideas??????

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:50:10 PM

As SRD stated "Disk fragmentation is NOT the cause of your printing
problem".

When you try to print what application is initiating the print command?

What do you exactly mean when you say "I still have to physically press
the "ON" button for anything happens."

Try Start, Control Panel, Printers & Faxes, right click on Printer icon
and select Properties. Next Ports tab -what option is checked?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"d6s9c" <d6s9c@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
>
>> Check your printer settings. Could be worth trying Start, Control
>> Panel,
>> Printers & Faxes, right click on Printer icon and select Properties.
>> Next General tab, Printing Preferences, Paper / Quality, Paper
>> Source.
>> Select Automatically Select!
>>
>> Sounds like you may the paper source set to Manual, which would
>> explain
>> why it prints when you press the button.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> FCA
>>
>> Using invalid email address
>>
>> Stourport, Worcs, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Please tell the newsgroup how any
>> suggested solution worked for you.
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>> > What do you need to know about my printer?......it's a HP Desk Jet
>> > 820
>> > Cxi....
>> > I uninstalled & deleted the drivers, rebooted, then rre-installed
>> > the
>> > drivers, connected the printer cable tried to print a test page as
>> > it
>> > does
>> > when you a new printer is detected, & it still does the same thing
>> > by
>> > taking
>> > the paper in for a sec & then releasing it (I still have to
>> > physically
>> > press
>> > the "ON" button for anything happens).
>> > HELP!
>>

> The paper is set to automatic paper select already, & the printer
> DOESN'T
> print at all! I have tried to do a boot defragment using Perfect Disk
> as
> someone suggested.
> However, I still have the same problems.....Printer not working & I
> STILL
> can't get my C Drive to completely defragment!!
> Any Ideas??????
May 4, 2005 6:28:53 AM

First you need to determine whether the problem is in the printer itself
or in your system. So as has been suggested, you need to hook the printer
up to another computer to see if it works. No: then you fix or replace the
printer; Yes: then follow the suggestion about looking at Printer
properties and report your results.

srd

On Mon, 02 May 2005 20:16:01 -0700, d6s9c

--
srd
!